A severe lack of identity and meaning

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought I would continue the current theme of gloomy thread titles.

Not since I can remember has my Tottenham team been so full of players who represent nothing other much than a than a transfer for just under 10 million from the continent and a few good minutes on YouTube. Players who will no doubt be moved on in a few years time without much of a Tottenham history.

Literally months ago we saw the sweet embraces of Bale and AVB celebrating a last minute winner

It wasn't long ago when we actually had characters like Rafa putting his fingers up to his lips to the goons as he smashed in another goal against them.

Even during the Martin Jol years, we may have seen a more talented squad in recent times but we had a squad WE knew and loved. We only got the odd plucky win against a so called big team but I remember that 2-1 victory against Chelski so fondly.

Whereas now I look across the team and struggle to find a player that will not only give us a creative spark and win us a game but also a player who truly embodies Tottenham Hotspur. I can't help but feel that no other club would have sold Rafa and after all he has done celebrate the 2 million pound profit we made.....oh how that money helped us. I think I just really miss him.

I think Holtby could be this player for us, maybe even Eriksen but still, who knows.

We are a laughing stock at the moment and as shit as is to have them horrible cunts Chelski and Arscum fans taking the piss out of us, when them horrible pikey cunts from across the road join in its so fucking painful.

Give me back my Tottenham, someone.

This is how I feel right now.
We have absolutely no identity right now. We're not playing sexy football. We're only Just winning. There's no one really busting a gut for the team. No iconic talisman on the pitch.
I felt better last year when we signed dempsey tbh. He wasn't a world beater... But he had heart. This year i just feel completely distant from the team. I don't even have a favourite player.
King, modric, vdv, bale... All gone. Replaced with kids. Football used to be a vicarious way of living out my dreams. Now it's become emotional torture.

I feel like my tottenham is broken.

Not since I can remember has my Tottenham team been so full of players who represent nothing other much than a than a transfer for just under 10 million from the continent and a few good minutes on YouTube. Players who will no doubt be moved on in a few years time without much of a Tottenham history.

Literally months ago we saw the sweet embraces of Bale and AVB celebrating a last minute winner

It wasn't long ago when we actually had characters like Rafa putting his fingers up to his lips to the goons as he smashed in another goal against them.

Even during the Martin Jol years, we may have seen a more talented squad in recent times but we had a squad WE knew and loved. We only got the odd plucky win against a so called big team but I remember that 2-1 victory against Chelski so fondly.

Whereas now I look across the team and struggle to find a player that will not only give us a creative spark and win us a game but also a player who truly embodies Tottenham Hotspur. I can't help but feel that no other club would have sold Rafa and after all he has done celebrate the 2 million pound profit we made.....oh how that money helped us. I think I just really miss him.

I think Holtby could be this player for us, maybe even Eriksen but still, who knows.

We are a laughing stock at the moment and as shit as is to have them horrible cunts Chelski and Arscum fans taking the piss out of us, when them horrible pikey cunts from across the road join in its so fucking painful.

tumblr_mccgy405aU1r8rum1o1_500.gif

A great thread my friend. primarily this is down to a bad manager, Maldini, but ultimately some very bad decisions made by the chairman. I feel thoroughly disheartened at the moment, and to be honest, I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. It's amazing how quickly a club can go down hill. Come back Arry, all is forgiven
A great thread my friend.

I feel your pain!
I honestly think Holtby (oh, and sandro... had to include him!) is the one are the two shining beacons of how foreign players CAN come in and immediately form a rapport with the fans... like Freund, Ginola and VdV before him, some players 'just get it'... others, like Chadli for example, do not.
Having said that, they don't all have to be taking 'selfies' and tweeting to be accepted... but I think the manner in which you play the game, and react to the fans ON THE PITCH makes a lot of difference to the supporters.
Erik the Viking springs to mind, the throwing his gloves into the crowd after each win was only a little gesture, but it made all the difference... Robbo as well just 'got it' ...maybe there is a weird affinity with fans and their GK, as you're in pretty close proximity to them for at least 45 minutes of every match... sometimes, it's just like it's us and them, on our own!

I think we've just got a lot more 'aloof' players at the club now, and we're by no means the only ones... the 'characters' are dwindling, and the more serious, 'ultra professional' (sometimes) players seem to be populating the team nowadays, and I don't think the fans quite connect with that.
Mind you, I always felt like that about Pat van den Hawue... there was something very aloof about him, I don't think he was ever interviewed post-match, in fact, I dunno if I've ever heard th guy speak... and by all accounts he was I guess the '80s version of Benny (without all the tweets and LOLs) in that he treated football as a job, nothing more (oh, and an excuse to meet Mandy Smith I imagine!)
...and yet, stop me if I'm boring you, but does anyone else remember this...? there was a moment, late '80s, up at the City ground (in the Littlewoods Cup? not sure, but it was midweek...) where him and Stuart Pearce went for the same ball, and arrived at the same time, and the BOOM! it made had the entire ground on it's feet, almost like celebrating a goal... and in that instant, a bit of a 'wow, he'd die for our club' legend was born!
Dunno why I told that story... it just popped into my head!
..anyway, where was I? Oh yeah... I agree... the players who embody the club they're at (especially ours) seems to be getting less and less with each passing year... we need to clone Holtby's personality, mixed with VdV's passion, and a bit of Bale's skill, and we'll be laughing!

Last edited:
Spot on. The majority of today's players (not just ours) play for themselves. Not the club, nor the fans. I believe the majority of players in our team think that there's a bigger club within reach for them. THFC's "size" is the real problem , as we're big enough to sign great players but not successful enough to hold on to them.

And even Holtby hasn't proven that/if he has the quality to match his passion...

Last edited:
Spot on. Today's players play for themselves. Not the club, nor the fans. I believe the majority of players in our team think that there's a bigger club within reach for them. THFC's "size" is the real problem , as we're big enough to sign great players but not successful enough to hold on to them.

That.
Is.
Spot.
On!

It's also the reason why we seem to get done against 'so called' smaller clubs... we're a MASSIVE scalp, 'name wise' but we're also within REACH 'quality' wise... it's the opposite I guess of how clubs like Man Utd and (sorry) Arse's invincibles used to probably win the game before they'd even kicked off, because the smaller/lesser clubs thought they were already beaten, and were just happy to keep the score down...

When the cliché of saying a smaller club 'can beat anyone on their day' you have to be a club of a certain (small) size to actually have that make sense... otherwise, you'd just be beating everyone!

We're in that weird 'grey area' of historically being a Big, traditional club, and can attract players, as you say... but we're also most definitely beatable, and so don't quite have that 'air' of invincibility!
...and that's why we'll never hold onto players who ultimately want to be at a club like that!
:baletroll::cunt:

It's just kinda gutting, has a proper 90's early 2000 feel about it. Maybe that's just the whole Sherwood/Ferdinand thing but I can't help but feel that I know what we need more than these two. I know how ridiculous that sounds knowing that they have been in the club for a fair few years, but it's just that they seem to have an undercurrent of anti-AVB without having to say it.

I really have no fucking clue what this season now holds.

It's just kinda gutting, has a proper 90's early 2000 feel about it. Maybe that's just the whole Sherwood/Ferdinand thing but I can't help but feel that I know what we need more than these two. I know how ridiculous that sounds knowing that they have been in the club for a fair few years, but it's just that they seem to have an undercurrent of anti-AVB without having to say it.

Well, Sherwood was brought in by 'Arry... so you may be barking up the right tree!
...and Sherwood also laid into Hoddle before, which in itself could yet prove 'awkward' if Hoddle is appointed, and Sherwood stays on (somehow!)

We're all just pre-empting the possible turmoil ahead I think!

Not saying it was a bad decision... far from it (I noticed a few boos when his name was read out... which I thought was both a shame and weird!) ...but he wouldn't have even been on the pitch if it weren't for Sherwood picking the team. I thought we were talking about 'messages' of intent here?

Not saying it was a bad decision... far from it (I noticed a few boos when his name was read out... which I thought was both a shame and weird!) ...but he wouldn't have even been on the pitch if it weren't for Sherwood picking the team. I thought we were talking about 'messages' of intent here?

To my mind Sherwood has to work with what his got - not sure how you send a message of intent with a make shift defense that leaks goals, a midfield with no creativity and strikers who arnt scoring.

If he can get a tune out of that then fair play to him.

We're halfway though a season - can't see a radical change in the way we play until next season, all Sherwood can do is shuffle the pack, play his joker and hope for the best.

THIS!!!
Weather you were for or against him it shouldn't matter, but setting up the way we did last night was a statement in itself. The irony was the result was exactly the same. Not just the result but if you didn't see the game last night but read about it the stats were the same, nearly 70% possession, loads of shots but very few on target.

For us the supporters to "move on" the new guy has to be a strong man and a visionary. The supporters have to be more united and be behind whoever comes in. There was a split in the supporters between AVB and Rednapp, if this division continues onto the next guy then we can't move forward.

Back
Top Bottom