2013/14 Spurs League Prediction

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next 3 games are Newcastle (H), City (A), United (H) so 4 points will leave us on target. Incidentally we got 4 points from those same fixtures last year.
It's funny looking back on this thread. So who predicted we would get beaten by Newcastle and destroyed by City. In fact we only just about beat the two worst teams in the prem

Oh, my prediction was and still is 6th, although if the idiot does get sacked, I may change this

The point kind of remains that it doesn't matter that we lost to city 6-0. It's not enjoyable at the time of course but we have to just move on and the team has done well since then and arguably started to play their best football of the season. We are always going to lose some matches in a season and City away is one of those realistically you would have down as the most likely to lose.

Newcastle and West Ham at home were worse results than the 6-0. And other than those 2 slip ups, as my posts point out, we are still on course for a top 4 finish.

Also I don't know why you sign up to a spurs forum with your name as "I8AVB". Why do you hate the manager of the football club you claim to support? Why is he an 'idiot'? He has the highest win percentage of any spurs manager since the war and achieved our highest Premier League points tally last season.

I absolutely love the fact that our run in is very good. When last did we actually have a good run in. Our last 6 games should all (on paper) be wins. Sunderland, WBA, Fulham, Stoke, West Ham then Aston Villa. Compare that to Man Utd's which is Newcastle, Hull, Everton, Norwich, Sunderland then Southampton. Liverpool's is West Ham, Man City, Norwich, Chelsea Palace then Newcastle. I think we have the favourable run in out of us three.Think it could be pivotal for whatever we end up challenging for.

After the whole furore surrounding our losses to Newcastle then Man City it seemed like our whole season had gone to pot. But my prediction thing has stayed pretty decent, with only the Newcastle game being wrong since I lasted posted here. The loss to City, draw to United and now wins against Fulham and Sunderland all went as I predicted.

So far this season after 15 games I have correctly predicted the outcome of 13 matches, the losses to West Ham and Newcastle at home (highlighted below in italics) being the only wrong ones, and thus leaving my prediction standing at a points total of 78 after 38 games which would certainly guarantee top 4 and likely 3rd or 2nd.

Interestingly I have us down to draw the next 2 matches.

WIN (23 Matches)
Home: Swansea City, Norwich City, Hull City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Southampton, Sunderland, Fulham, Aston Villa
Away: Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Aston Villa, Fulham, Sunderland, Swansea City, Hull City, Newcastle United, Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, West Ham United

DRAW (9 Matches)
Home: Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Everton, Woolwich
Away: Everton, Southampton, Liverpool

LOSE (6 Matches)
Home: West Ham United, Newcastle United
Away: Woolwich, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea

Total 78 Points

Thats all very well, but if you really think we are still going to win all these games:

Swansea City, Hull City, Newcastle United, Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, West Ham United, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Southampton, Sunderland, Fulham, Aston Villa

Well....:avbshit:

Thats all very well, but if you really think we are still going to win all these games:

Swansea City, Hull City, Newcastle United, Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, West Ham United, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Southampton, Sunderland, Fulham, Aston Villa

The scum managed a fantastic run at the end of last season with a team that was inferior to what we have right now. It does look difficult to get all these wins, but it's not entirely unlikely

Or to put it another way………..between now and end of the season we only lose 2 games!! Despite some glimpses of improvements in our movement up front, I haven't seen anything from us that would suggest we would only lose 2 games for the rest of the season, we are still "on the edge" of our performances (winning by an odd goal), until we start to knock over a few teams by more than a 2 goal margin it is unfortunatly reasonable to expect that we will lose more than two games this season.

Everyone is taking points off each other this year, because of this points totals for all contenders will be lower than previous years.

Or to put it another way………..between now and end of the season we only lose 2 games!! Despite some glimpses of improvements in our movement up front, I haven't seen anything from us that would suggest we would only lose 2 games for the rest of the season, we are still "on the edge" of our performances (winning by an odd goal), until we start to knock over a few teams by more than a 2 goal margin it is unfortunatly reasonable to expect that we will lose more than two games this season.

Everyone is taking points off each other this year, because of this points totals for all contenders will be lower than previous years.

The problem is that Woolwich, Liverpool and Everton may well get alot more points than they did last season...the list of contenders is bigger...and I still think anyone writing off Utd for top 4 is a fool.

The problem is that Woolwich, Liverpool and Everton may well get alot more points than they did last season...the list of contenders is bigger...and I still think anyone writing off Utd for top 4 is a fool.
Agree. I think however that Utd will finnish outside top 4 this year. I think the players (a significant number) themselves don't beleive that they can compete this year. Fergie had the mental attitude of the entire team focused on winning and it appears that mentally is missing. Combined with other teams going there with more belief will make their task very difficult indeed.
What worries me about Liverpool and Everton is they have no European football to juggle, that can only make their focus on prem easier. The same too can be said of Southampton who are allready out of League Cup too.

Well that is basically what we are going to have to do if we want to achieve our target of guaranteed CL football.

If not we will have to pick up points in the other games I have marked down as draws and losses. It's just instead of plodding along game by game I thought it would be good to look at a running target of what we need to do over the course of the season and help put a bit perspective into draws and losses.

As you can see I have us down to only pick up 8 points out of the next 5 matches: Liverpool (H), So'ton (A), WBA (H), Stoke (H), Man Utd (A) so I really don't think the overall prediction is unrealistic or unattainable.

I thought I would update this. Since the last update we did 5 points more than expected at Southampton & Man U, but did 3 points worse than expected hosting Liverpool & West Brom. Net gain of 2 points.

WIN
(24 Matches)
Home: Swansea City, Norwich City, Hull City, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Southampton, Sunderland, Fulham, Aston Villa
Away: Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Aston Villa, Fulham, Sunderland, Southampton, Manchester United, Swansea City, Hull City, Newcastle United, Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, West Ham United

DRAW (8 Matches)
Home: Chelsea, Manchester United, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City, Everton, Woolwich
Away: Everton, Liverpool

LOSE (6 Matches)
Home: West Ham United, Newcastle United, Liverpool,
Away: Woolwich, Manchester City, Chelsea

Total 80 Points

I thought I would update this. Since the last update we did 5 points more than expected at Southampton & Man U, but did 3 points worse than expected hosting Liverpool & West Brom. Net gain of 2 points.
WIN (24 Matches)
Home: Swansea City, Norwich City, Hull City, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Southampton, Sunderland, Fulham, Aston Villa
Away: Crystal Palace, Cardiff City, Aston Villa, Fulham, Sunderland, Southampton, Manchester United, Swansea City, Hull City, Newcastle United, Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City, West Ham United

DRAW (8 Matches)
Home: Chelsea, Manchester United, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City, Everton, Woolwich

LOSE (6 Matches)
Home: West Ham United, Newcastle United, Liverpool,

Total 80 Points

Thanks mate.

We got 2 more points than I thought over the christmas period hence the prediction is now back up to 80 points. Still very achievable and would put us well up there in the CL spots and likely 2nd or 3rd. COYS

The next 6 matches are going to be the toughest stretch in terms of meeting expectations.
Palace (H)
Swansea (A)
Man City (H)
Hull (A)
Everton (H)
Newcastle (A)

We can only drop 4 points from those fixtures, which seems a bit unlikely tbh. I could see 2-2-2 more likely than 4-2-0

The next 6 matches are going to be the toughest stretch in terms of meeting expectations.
Palace (H)
Swansea (A)
Man City (H)
Hull (A)
Everton (H)
Newcastle (A)

We can only drop 4 points from those fixtures, which seems a bit unlikely tbh. I could see 2-2-2 more likely than 4-2-0

I'd say 4-1-1 being the likeliest, odds by odds. I'm thinking 3-2-1, loss to City and draw to Everton and Newcastle.

Well Tim's had a great start, unbeaten with 4 wins and 1 draw out of a fixture list that read Southampton (A), WBA (H), Stoke (H), Man Utd (A), Palace (H). Every one of us would have gladly taken that when he took over.

It was also better than I had us previously marked down as, thus now raises the points total I have us on course to reach to 80 points. Incidentally we are half way there on 40 points at the moment.

Next 5 are Swansea (A), Man City (H), Hull (A), Everton (H), Newcastle (A). 3 wins and 2 draws (11 points) is the target. COYS.

WIN (24 Matches)

DRAW (8 Matches)

LOSE (6 Matches)
Home: West Ham United, Newcastle United, Liverpool

Total 80 Points

Carrying on with the If, Buts and Maybe theme............

Prem games to the end of March = 11 (33 points available). A realistic tally? would I think be 19 points!

Loses 2. Chelsea (a) and either Newcastle (a) or Liverpool (a) Points = 0
Draws 4. Swansea (a) City (h) Everton (h) and either Newcastle or Liverpool (a) Points = 4
Wins 5. Hull (a) Norwich (a) Cardiff (h) Woolwich (h) Soton (a) Points = 15.

This would see us on 59 points going into the beginning of April an the final 6 games.Against teams, all of which are currently in the bottom half of the table. 3 Home. 3 Away. But all potentially 3 (18 points) pointers!

Home: Sunland, Fulham, Villa: Away WBA, Stoke and WHU. I fancy only Fulham/WBA, maybe WHU, to be fighting for their Prem lives by then! Cardiff/Palace the other 2. Appreciate, all of these games are "tricky"! But if we are looking to establish ourselves as a CL Club, then (squad starting to settle-ish!) we have to win these type of games! Pressure games! For both sides for different reasons!

77 (Topping Last Season) points! Would that be enough??? We only lose 2 more games for the rest of the season and win 11, 65% of our games left! Would that be possible???

COYS!!

Carrying on with the If, Buts and Maybe theme............

Prem games to the end of March = 11 (33 points available). A realistic tally? would I think be 19 points!

Loses 2. Chelsea (a) and either Newcastle (a) or Liverpool (a) Points = 0
Draws 4. Swansea (a) City (h) Everton (h) and either Newcastle or Liverpool (a) Points = 4
Wins 5. Hull (a) Norwich (a) Cardiff (h) Woolwich (h) Soton (a) Points = 15.

This would see us on 59 points going into the beginning of April an the final 6 games.Against teams, all of which are currently in the bottom half of the table. 3 Home. 3 Away. But all potentially 3 (18 points) pointers!

Home: Sunland, Fulham, Villa: Away WBA, Stoke and WHU. I fancy only Fulham/WBA, maybe WHU, to be fighting for their Prem lives by then! Cardiff/Palace the other 2. Appreciate, all of these games are "tricky"! But if we are looking to establish ourselves as a CL Club, then (squad starting to settle-ish!) we have to win these type of games! Pressure games! For both sides for different reasons!

77 (Topping Last Season) points! Would that be enough??? We only lose 2 more games for the rest of the season and win 11, 65% of our games left! Would that be possible???

COYS!!

No reason why we shouldn't be.

A more scientific way of looking at things is that we have played 21 and returned 40 points. So we've averaged 2.05 points per game. If we continue at the same ratio for the rest of the season that sees us getting 77.9 points. Which pretty much guarantees top 3...normally. The only thing I worry about is this season there are so many teams with high points totals so far. It could be the hardest year to win the title / get top 4 as in the year when you will need the most points.

For all the doom and gloom this season, the flat atmospheres, the uninspiring football, the lack of goals, we are well on course our best ever league season since the format changed to 3 points for a win and 20 teams. Strange times.

Except that 40 points off 21 is 1.90 points per match not 2.05, which means 72 points.
Do you really think that losing 5 of our first 16 matches, and 3 of them humiliatingly, equates to us being able to go a 22 further matches losing 1 game, because if that happens we should name new stadium after Sherwood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom