100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
Neither of them put all their players in the opposition half and just hope their sprinty defender can catch the inevitable breaks every time.
Not a suprise you are over simplifying Ange's tactics because you liked Conte's 5 at the back with two midfielders sitting in front being saved by Kane scoring 30 goals while waiting for the weekly Dier mistake to give the opposition a goal.

He will have to sacrifice some of the recklessness for stability if he wants to win. He can't be this stupid.

Man City and Liverpool absolutely do play a high line though. Ridiculously high.

The main difference is they're much better in the final third when it comes to ball retention as well as winning it back when they lose it (or making niggly fouls to stop counters)

City have conceded sooooo many goals this season due to their back line being far too high.

Will Ange adapt? I think his overall philosophy, no. But I think next season when he drills the guys tactically, mixed in with a much better eleven, the goals conceded column will look alot better (like it would if you took away the 12 goals we conceded with Emerson/Davies CB pairing)

Not a suprise you are over simplifying Ange's tactics because you liked Conte's 5 at the back with two midfielders sitting in front being saved by Kane scoring 30 goals while waiting for the weekly Dier mistake to give the opposition a goal.
Not a surprise the Conte haters are willing to ignore the massive fucking hole in our system that everyone will exploit now.

Let's see if "matey boy" can react. Or if he just keeps playing the same way and getting opened up for shits and giggles. Mate.

Man City and Liverpool absolutely do play a high line though. Ridiculously high.

The main difference is they're much better in the final third when it comes to ball retention as well as winning it back when they lose it (or making niggly fouls to stop counters)

City have conceded sooooo many goals this season due to their back line being far too high.

Will Ange adapt? I think his overall philosophy, no. But I think next season when he drills the guys tactically, mixed in with a much better eleven, the goals conceded column will look alot better (like it would if you took away the 12 goals we conceded with Emerson/Davies CB pairing)
There's high then there's higher than Snoop Dog at Willy Nelsons birthday party! I'll take a wee bet with you he tweaks some of the distances. I'll be watching. I think he will have to simply to protect Mickey Van Der Ven.

You did see we just conceded 4 goals in one game with Micky and Romero after training for 32 games???

What games are you referring to anyway? Was one of them Man City away?

Didn't we also draw with City away?

If only they had a plan B ey?
they dont need a plan B, they boss everyone they come up against which is why madrid have swallowed their pride and surrendered the ball.

city didnt need a plan B last night, they needed alvarez up top to give them 11 men and quality to bring on like mahrez instead of doku..... point is madrid played in a way which gave them their only chance of going through and it worked. if they went toe to toe they would of got bashed up like last year.

There's high then there's higher than Snoop Dog at Willy Nelsons birthday party! I'll take a wee bet with you he tweaks some of the distances. I'll be watching. I think he will have to simply to protect Mickey Van Der Ven.
Our line isn't even that high compared to our rivals, 6th highest on average in the Prem - Bournemouth hold a higher one

highl.png

No doubt.

How many goals did we concede from long balls or on counters when Davies was at centre back? Very little if any, I can't remember any off the top of my head. Because Davies and Ange both know the limitations.

Look at Pochs first season. Played a high line with fucking Fazio at centre back. Conceded 53 goals but we didn't just sit deep knowing he couldn't do it. Poch wanted to install that system first hand and then he got the parts needed.

We improve our technical ability in the final third and being able to keep hold of the ball, we improve the 6 position to someone defensively sound minded and we concede a lot less.

We played a high line with fucking Jan Vertonghen at CB. And conceded about 23 goals. Because we had players in the final third who could keep hold of it and a midfield that could win it back as quick as it was lost.

We'll get there.

You did see we just conceded 4 goals in one game with Micky and Romero after training for 32 games???

Yeah I saw it. Two of them probably don't happen if our attack could keep hold of the ball though. Very similar to the goal we conceded against Luton when Kulusevski gave it away. Nothing to do with our defensive shape.

Newcastle played well too.

Just the 13th goal Romero and van de Ven have conceded from open play this season when partnered together.

What games are you referring to anyway? Was one of them Man City away?

City conceding due to a high line?

Isak for Newcastle, Rashfords belter for Man Utd, Mateta twice against them home and away, Maupay for Brentford which was assisted by Brentford keeper with a long ball. Sterling's goal at the Etihad and almost every single group stage goal in the CL was down to their high line. Openda especially scored about 3 goals from it. Even yesterday, their high line pretty much cost them the opener.

I didn't count ours against them because it was just a counter from a set piece. But even then, they had barely any cover.

I look at our results and I don't think we've had anywhere near as many goals conceded as City due to our high line.

There's the Chelsea debacle, Wolves at home? Luton at home? Forest at home? And Newcastle away? I guess?

Our defensive shape is risky but it's no riskier than Citys, Liverpools or Arsenals (look at Watkins goal against them at the weekend).. They've simply just got better players and better cover than we have right now.

Yes. Just like Conte spoke about. The lack of desire to win is systemic throughout the whole club. It's infectious, endemic and part of the club's ethos running from the top down.
Wether its Angeball, joseball, conteball or harryball won't change the inevitable.
If I felt like that I'd stop going to games and take up playing marbles......much more relaxing way to lose them.

Of course 100% Angeball, all we need a couple of decent wingers, a striker and a couple of marquee midfielders to make it functional.

Not a surprise the Conte haters are willing to ignore the massive fucking hole in our system that everyone will exploit now.

Let's see if "matey boy" can react. Or if he just keeps playing the same way and getting opened up for shits and giggles. Mate.
The fact is a high line is pointless if you do not put preassure on the ball with your front line Ange's version of the gengen press is a simple well known defensive tactic and way of winning the ball high up the pitch which should generate chances. The problem we have is that we are not executing properly and have got more conservative in our play as the season has gone on playing less and less football that resembles Ange Ball and this has been the case since we were dominated by City in the FA Cup maybe even the Burnley FA Cup game.

Maybe even the red card for Bissouma against Forest because we were still playing well when Romero was suspended, Van der Ven and Maddison were injured.

We were 1 or 2 players from being the real deal imho

All he had to do was not fuck up the scouting of Suarez that January. That wasnt even on Levy. Redknapp took his eye off the ball with the England job the Suarez/Saha/Nelsen window.

Then Hazard was in the bag until Chelsea screwed us over.

I'm sure there were other players we didnt get because of Levy though during Redknapp's time. I remember him being offered Charlie Adam and Phil Neville on deadline day FFS!

The fact is a high line is pointless if you do not put preassure on the ball with your front line Ange's version of the gengen press is a simple well known defensive tactic and way of winning the ball high up the pitch which should generate chances. The problem we have is that we are not executing properly and have got more conservative in our play as the season has gone on playing less and less football that resembles Ange Ball and this has been the case since we were dominated by City in the FA Cup maybe even the Burnley FA Cup game.

Maybe even the red card for Bissouma against Forest because we were still playing well when Romero was suspended, Van der Ven and Maddison were injured.
You can't blame injuries since late January.
9 points away from home since October. Thrashed by Brighton, Fulham and Newcastle.

Our tactics have been found out and we need to change or die. (by die, I mean the innevitable nosedive next season and another sacked coach)

You can't blame injuries since late January.
9 points away from home since October. Thrashed by Brighton, Fulham and Newcastle.

Our tactics have been found out and we need to change or die. (by die, I mean the innevitable nosedive next season and another sacked coach)
I didn’t say injuries I said we are not doing it correctly. That there are performances that have effected the way we play that there is now fear in the way we play which causes mistakes. Look at the first two goals against Newcastle one where Udogie was out muscled by Gordon because he was scared. Then the second from kickoff we played it back to Vicario and then to Porro, then a sliced pass played them in.

We are playing with fear especially Bissouma. You cannot play attacking football with fear. This fear has leaked into our game. I have seen the fear in our game since Christmas. I don’t know what did it and I am sure Ange sees it too.

Back
Top Bottom