100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
Redknapp was underrated. Not as good I admit but the team with Modric/Bale/VdV was a joy to watch most of the time.

Redknapp was the best football I've seen at Spurs in my lifetime.

However, it was also an era where no one fucking pressed. So we were pretty much just allowed to play football.

Cheers. I knew that we're well in the black for FFP purposes, but I mentioned the posted losses because I see that as a 'my hands are tied' plea from the owner. It makes me wonder how we're going to play it this summer. Might be more 'we tried' than 'kick them while they're down'.
Damn right on both counts.
I think they've been here long enough to remove any doubt whatsoever

Still think out of all the Spurs teams have seen, 86/87 takes some beating.A joy to watch ,most of the time
Agree - with 16/17 very close behind.

Pleat stumbled across the 4-5–1 if I remember correctly. Early on we stumbled a bit but then hit a groove. Typical that we finished 3rd, LC semis and FA Cup final and came out with nothing.

I couldn’t remember having a CB as commanding as Gough. Hoddle still in his prime. Waddle had found his feet. Allen banging them in for fun. Squeezing the last few drops out of Clemence and Ardiles. I was only 13/14yrs old and turned up expecting us to roll any team from around November onwards. Bucket loads of goals.

Had the same feeling watching 16/17 Poch-era Spurs.

Funnily enough 1984/5 was the season I thought we could’ve won the league - Burkinshaw had left (such a shame) and Shreeve managed to put us in the mix.

Relating that to now - a first XI that pretty much names itself (I think this is what we are seeing with Ange); out and out goal machines at CF (we don’t have that right now but it isn’t Ange’s fault that HK didn’t stay); and the ability to change up the style when the occasion demands it (what we’ve been debating on these pages)

Agree - with 16/17 very close behind.

Pleat stumbled across the 4-5–1 if I remember correctly. Early on we stumbled a bit but then hit a groove. Typical that we finished 3rd, LC semis and FA Cup final and came out with nothing.

I couldn’t remember having a CB as commanding as Gough. Hoddle still in his prime. Waddle had found his feet. Allen banging them in for fun. Squeezing the last few drops out of Clemence and Ardiles. I was only 13/14yrs old and turned up expecting us to roll any team from around November onwards. Bucket loads of goals.

Had the same feeling watching 16/17 Poch-era Spurs.

Funnily enough 1984/5 was the season I thought we could’ve won the league - Burkinshaw had left (such a shame) and Shreeve managed to put us in the mix.

Relating that to now - a first XI that pretty much names itself (I think this is what we are seeing with Ange); out and out goal machines at CF (we don’t have that right now but it isn’t Ange’s fault that HK didn’t stay); and the ability to change up the style when the occasion demands it (what we’ve been debating on these pages)
Yeah, we were so strong in so many positions.But,ended the season trophyless :)

I think we a few players from being a decent side next season,but its whether we get them...

Yeah, we were so strong in so many positions.But,ended the season trophyless :)

I think we a few players from being a decent side next season,but its whether we get them...
Sadly my memory doesn't go back quite that far! The first season I remember well was 1996/97 (which wasn't as good, haha) as Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur knows I had to wait a little while to see a really good team in my Spurs supporting career.

Still think out of all the Spurs teams have seen, 86/87 takes some beating.A joy to watch ,most of the time

The season I started supporting us. I have the season's highlights on VHS still somewhere. They are actually available on youtube thanks to someone kindly putting them on there. Here is the first part.

View: https://youtu.be/QL9pA55UnN0?si=xm-XeJza1OpURb8j

Imagine having a right winger like Waddle in the side now?

ive never seen madrid play a more compact and counter attack style than that tonight.....and it gets the job done... if the most successful club in football history, are willing to swallow their pride and do what needs to be done then that says it all.

madrid will probably go on to win it now and the only side they needed to do that against they done it and got the job done. they will go and impose themselves now and go toe to toe with whatever is put in front fo them....thats how you win 14 probably soon to be 15 european cups! box clever.

thats the difference between them and barca! barca only know how to play 1 way! which is why when they went down to 10 men last night there was only going to be one winner....madrid could go down to 9 men and still be a cunt of a team to beat.
Good post.

ive never seen madrid play a more compact and counter attack style than that tonight.....and it gets the job done... if the most successful club in football history, are willing to swallow their pride and do what needs to be done then that says it all.

madrid will probably go on to win it now and the only side they needed to do that against they done it and got the job done. they will go and impose themselves now and go toe to toe with whatever is put in front fo them....thats how you win 14 probably soon to be 15 european cups! box clever.

thats the difference between them and barca! barca only know how to play 1 way! which is why when they went down to 10 men last night there was only going to be one winner....madrid could go down to 9 men and still be a cunt of a team to beat.
I like Ange a lot and really want him to succeed. Overall (assuming we finish 5th) he's performed above expectations, I was certainly not expecting us to finish that high before the season started, more like 7th/8th. Losing Harry was a major blow too. My concern so far is that he's too pure and won't adapt, it's fine having only a Plan A but teams should be able to make subtle adjustments to beat what's in front of you, that's the name of the game.

What is surprising to me about Spurs is you would think the longer they practice and play in the system the quicker they would become in their decision making. To borrow the phrase Postecoglou often uses, they should be becoming braver as time goes on. I don't understand why they are falling back to becoming safer with the ball. I'm not sold on the new system, but the players are either going to commit to reflexively follow the system or it doesn't work. Maybe that's what Postecoglou is on about when he talks about the Champions League. I could see Spurs making top four and the system still not taking hold. If that were to happen it may be even harder to get the players on side with it because they would of had success without buying in 100%.

Can still play angeball buts needs to stop picking a front three of Johnson, Son and Timo against low block sides. Timo and Johnson not technical enough to keep the ball and Son can't play as a target man. Should be Deki, Richy and Son at LW against low block sides.

Didn't we also draw with City away?

If only they had a plan B ey?

Can still play angeball buts needs to stop picking a front three of Johnson, Son and Timo against low block sides. Timo and Johnson not technical enough to keep the ball and Son can't play as a target man. Should be Deki, Richy and Son at LW against low block sides.
Johnson will suprise you I think. Werner could have the ball 10cm out and I am sure he would miss the target.

Back
Top Bottom