#06 - Let's do it for Mum

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Carl Donnelly, stand up comedian, Edinburgh Fringe star and co-host of The Carl and Chris pod is this weeks special guest. Alongside Flav and Carl, Bardi and Alex are parachuted into into a world of inflatable objects, dial-up dilemmas, family etiquette and nakedness at White Hart Lane. There is an 1882 update, the transfer window is put to bed, Sunderland away is previewed, Windy delivers a youth update and the globalisation of Tottenham Hotspur is taken apart.

Main attractions: Flav, Alex, Bardi and Carl Donnelly.

Download Episode

Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe to RSS Feed | Stitcher

Great first minute, that took me ten minutes of plugging and unplugging my headphones, rewinding, etc., to deal with the fact that my apple-branded mobile device cannot function as an audio player anymore.

Btw, when do we get our TFC iPhones?

(My TFC iPad is also showing its age…)

Don't be fooled into thinking that overseas supporters aren't long-suffering Spurs fans too.
Unlike we lucky few/many born in the right time zone, some of these poor bastards spent the 1990s getting up at three o'clock in the morning for the dubious pleasure of listening to Tottenham being shambolic over the radio. Even the 60s-80s in a lot of cases.

Speaking of which, a lot of what you describe liking about 1882's sense of connection to the club is the same kind of thing that regional and international supporters' clubs create: you're part of a smaller community that is tied to the larger club as a whole. Maybe you don't know everyone, but you see familiar faces, you all have something in common, you talk to one another before and after the game, etc.
That's difficult to create at WHL when it's next to impossible to turn up to the game in a group of even half a dozen and still sit together. Hence why pre-planned things like 1882 are needed.

I'm glad you all enjoyed making this episode but I found it a tough, pretty boring listen.

I guess my humour 's not in tune with the endless jokes about wanking, fucking your mum, shaving your balls etc.

I know it's the international break but perhaps a bit more Spurs talk next time?

I'm glad you all enjoyed making this episode but I found it a tough, pretty boring listen.

I guess my humour 's not in tune with the endless jokes about wanking, fucking your mum, shaving your balls etc.

I know it's the international break but perhaps a bit more Spurs talk next time?
This episode won't be for everyone, certainly. But given it was during the international break, it seemed a logical time to get Carl on and have a little less Spurs chat than usual. Personally I thought Carl embraced the ethos of the pod and knew his Spurs too.

I'm on next week so decorum and football chat (read as: humourless tactical chat and stats) will be restored.

First, let me start with the disclaimer, I am an American supporter (though I will be moving to London for at least a year in three weeks). I can certainly understand the annoyance with the pandering and focus on American, Asian, and other non local support. The blatant desire to attract overseas supporters makes me cringe on a consistent basis. However, it isn't really a Spurs problem but rather a Premier League problem. To compete financially in the Premier League—especially at the top—courting international support has become a necessity. During this year's preseason only five clubs didn't go to America, Asia or Australia to play a friendly. Those clubs were Hull, Burnley, Southampton, Stoke, and Sunderland. Every one of those teams played a game on the continent.

I agree that the local supporters often get overlooked in favor of the international supporters. The one thing I didn't understand, Flav Flav was your complaint that the rise in ticket prices has to do with international support. Obviously there is legitimate gripes about day trippers using stub hub and buying tickets at inflated prices but surely the vacationers can't make up more than 1% of the crowd. That number even seems high.

Isn't the rise in ticket prices more attributable to the change in demographics of the English football fan in the wake of the creation of the Premier League? Surely the commercialization, widespread availability on TV, and the clamp down on hooliganism has shifted football away from it's original ethos as a working class sport and the owners have attempted to bring more corporate groups and affluent British fans into the game because richer fans=more profit.

Doesn't make sense to me how international fans who don't have the ability to go to games are to blame for exorbitant match day prices. Certainly there is toooooons of legitimate gripes regarding the courting of international fans but that seems a bridge too far IMO.

To be honest when I listened back I winced a little bit. The rise in prices has nothing really to do with international fans, If I could be bothered to edit the pod I'd have probably taken it out. Sometimes bollocks flies out.

I held my own in the mum fucking discussions though.

To be honest when I listened back I winced a little bit. The rise in prices has nothing really to do with international fans, If I could be bothered to edit the pod I'd have probably taken it out. Sometimes bollocks flies out.

I held my own in the mum fucking discussions though.

No worries at all, mate. I love the podcast because it is formatted as an off the cuff conversation amongst supporters (even though I know you guys put a lot of time in and it is hardly just off the cuff). If it was me put on the spot I know I'd be saying way dumber stuff every week. Just addressing a slight grievance.

First, let me start with the disclaimer, I am an American supporter (though I will be moving to London for at least a year in three weeks). I can certainly understand the annoyance with the pandering and focus on American, Asian, and other non local support. The blatant desire to attract overseas supporters makes me cringe on a consistent basis. However, it isn't really a Spurs problem but rather a Premier League problem. To compete financially in the Premier League—especially at the top—courting international support has become a necessity. During this year's preseason only five clubs didn't go to America, Asia or Australia to play a friendly. Those clubs were Hull, Burnley, Southampton, Stoke, and Sunderland. Every one of those teams played a game on the continent.

I agree that the local supporters often get overlooked in favor of the international supporters. The one thing I didn't understand, Flav Flav was your complaint that the rise in ticket prices has to do with international support. Obviously there is legitimate gripes about day trippers using stub hub and buying tickets at inflated prices but surely the vacationers can't make up more than 1% of the crowd. That number even seems high.

Isn't the rise in ticket prices more attributable to the change in demographics of the English football fan in the wake of the creation of the Premier League? Surely the commercialization, widespread availability on TV, and the clamp down on hooliganism has shifted football away from it's original ethos as a working class sport and the owners have attempted to bring more corporate groups and affluent British fans into the game because richer fans=more profit.

Doesn't make sense to me how international fans who don't have the ability to go to games are to blame for exorbitant match day prices. Certainly there is toooooons of legitimate gripes regarding the courting of international fans but that seems a bridge too far IMO.

The only way they have imo is that they seem more willing to pay way over face value, probably just because if you are only in London for one game you make sure you go whatever.......but it doesn't help the argument to keep ticket prices lower when the clubs see individuals willing to pay inflated prices.

That was hilarious. New to the site and the Podcast. Finally in a position where I can afford to go to some Spurs matches now but can't always get the wife a ticket as she's not a member (bloody United fan) so I'll try and get down with the 1882 sometime. Good to get some atmosphere going.

If it was me put on the spot I know I'd be saying way dumber stuff every week. Just addressing a slight grievance.
Hey, how about asking if you could make a guest appearance on the pod when you come over to the UK? You write a lot of sense, it would be great to hear you too. Whaddya reckon Flav Flav ?

You may end up having to tattoo your arse though.

Hey, how about asking if you could make a guest appearance on the pod when you come over to the UK? You write a lot of sense, it would be great to hear you too. Whaddya reckon Flav Flav ?

You may end up having to tattoo your arse though.

Haha nah mate. Appreciate the kind words but I'm just a forum dweller and try to call them as I see them. There's plenty of quality posters who should be on before me. Plus, the podcast isn't exactly bereft of talent, seems like they are adding a new excellent guest every week.

Even though I am from Chicago I'm not sure Chicago Joe has the same ring to it as Chicago Dan. Plus, I'd prefer it that my ass stayed its current shade of pasty white :ap:

Last edited:
One way or another, it's surely not US Spurs' fault that a trip to the Death Star is the most expensive ticket ever. Not like those will go to general sale anyway.

They're expensive because the supply is short but demand nearly endless. They could probably ask £100.

People need to stop worrying about not liking the podcast, be it everything we release or the odd episode. There is no rule or obligation that says we have to produce something that is 100% Tottenham-centric. This podcast is about the people on it talking about Spurs and if the conversation deviates, then deal with it. The pods are still about Spurs. Just tune out if its not being delivered in the way you'd prefer and try again next week.

Apart from Nazi Flav and his running order, this has always been a chaotic mess. The moment it changes it becomes the Spurs Show. Not that it's a bad thing to be the Spurs Show, just if you're going to appeal to the mainstream then you're going to record something that doesn't involve balls and pinching helmets.

This pod was built on monkey face and jokes about shit, incest, anal and a whole multitude of bollocky conversations. We've never pretended to be collectively articulate and insightful. It's really okay not to like some of it or all of it, but please, don't think for a second we're going to change. For some awkward reason the vast majority of listeners (the ones downloading and subscribing every week for 4 years) like this bullshit. And that's great because we've never set out to produce something more polished simply to gain more listeners.

I say 'we' but then I'm currently banned (the official line is I can't make it due to child care) from appearing on the pod because of what I did to Flav (he literally pissed his pants in the shop after I threatened to choke his little Vegan throat, begging like a bitch, pleading for me not to smack the shit out of him again). Not been allowed back to the shop since.

Also, take a look around this forum. Meant to be about Spurs yet 95% of it consists of twats trying to out twat each other then crying like little girls because one twat said something naughty about their face and want them banned for more than a sin bin before deciding to email a letter to us proclaiming how they want to leave the forum before changing their minds.

You do what you want. We do what we want. We don't have to get on.

dear mr levy - the premium blogging experience

Back
Top Bottom