Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

P8joHa8.png

KWP wins the ball back.
TopYLCL.png

Sizes up his options.
da2dnA2.png

Static front 3. Lamela not open for a pass.
dbaiQau.png

Options?
UaLQxWc.png

Lamela hiding in Grealish's cover shadow. Sissoko hiding behind Lamela.
lPoDMCW.png

KWP forced backwards. Gang of 4 waiting for a bus.
LrmoUuE.png

KWP decides to have another go. Lamela doesn't want to know.
7d55J2M.png

KWP turns back again. Sissoko with the advice. Front 3 offering nothing.

Yup, that's classic Lamela, refuses to go in wide positions, even when there's space there, because it exposes how little he offers. Has anyone got that clip of him doing his Paula Radcliffe impression, forlornly chasing after that well known speedster Jack Grealish after he gave the ball away to him?

Lamela huffed and puffed against Villa but is sadly not good enough. Lacks a bit of pace to really hurt teams.

Could see the difference when Eriksen came on.
Never had pace with us. Against Villa his cross from the right smacked into Grealish 5 yds away. Grealish set off with the ball. Lamela trying his best to cut him off, but JG still managed to get all the way to the edge of our box before passing. OK, Lamela never gave up, but someone running without the ball should always be able to overtake someone with it. Hardly like JG is Lennon or Walker.

P8joHa8.png

KWP wins the ball back.
TopYLCL.png

Sizes up his options.
da2dnA2.png

dbaiQau.png

Options?
UaLQxWc.png

lPoDMCW.png

LrmoUuE.png

7d55J2M.png

The run should come from Sissoko. That's the position he's playing (the right of Midfield). It's HIS job to go wide NOT Lamela's. KWP has come inside, so someone now has to go wide, that person is Sissoko. If Sissoko goes wide, right to the touchline than he should also pull the LB with him, therefore creating space for Lamela to be the third runner either between CB and LB or behind LB. KWP can also play the ball to Sissoko (drawing LB out even further, creating a bigger space, where he could play a triangle with Lamela. Or if Villa remain organised and all shuffle over well, then a switch of play from FB to FB (Rose) might also be on as in theory he'll be free.

But the problem with the freeze-frame analysis is I can say that in those EIGHT frames both Kane and Lucas have moved no more than ONE foot!! Are the manakins?

Never had pace with us. Against Villa his cross from the right smacked into Grealish 5 yds away. Grealish set off with the ball. Lamela trying his best to cut him off, but JG still managed to get all the way to the edge of our box before passing. OK, Lamela never gave up, but someone running without the ball should always be able to overtake someone with it. Hardly like JG is Lennon or Walker.
I remember him keeping up with Son the whole length of the pitch to support him, I can't be sure which game it was but maybe last season or at the end of 17/18.

P8joHa8.png

KWP wins the ball back.
TopYLCL.png

Sizes up his options.
da2dnA2.png

dbaiQau.png

Options?
UaLQxWc.png

lPoDMCW.png

LrmoUuE.png

7d55J2M.png

Last pic Sissoko pointing where to pass:dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:

I like Erik, love his energy and nasty streak (because all teams need someone like that). However, I think, reluctantly, that his time has passed, but still a useful squad player to have around.

Yup, that's classic Lamela, refuses to go in wide positions, even when there's space there, because it exposes how little he offers. Has anyone got that clip of him doing his Paula Radcliffe impression, forlornly chasing after that well known speedster Jack Grealish after he gave the ball away to him?
Laughable. Sissoko is far more at fault there. He's way out of position. Lamela could be doing a bit more, but Sissoko is completely out to lunch until the last frame.

I still don’t think you are answering my question, I probably am phrasing it wrong. never mind.

Ok so take Saturday, I groaned when I saw Lamela starting over Eriksen (Ericsson), I would have started Eriksen, if Dele, Son , Sess Lo Celso had of been available there is no way Lamela is getting on my bench , it really shouldn't need an explanation.

Am0KIsm.png

Toby assessing his options. He ought to be paid 2 wages-one for defending, and another for being a midfielder. Kane showing that footballing brain of his by coming short.
CmkpEKB.png

The chasm.
6KALOSn.png

Sissoko looking for options. Front 3 huddled together for warmth.
2PjLwtD.png

Kane begins to show. Too late. The Moose pulls the trigger.

zJBs6Ej.png

Toby's options. Front 4 holding hands again.
JChce5J.png

Toby goes wide. Lamela gets £100k a week for this.
sgNAwIN.png

May as well get it into the mixer. That's what a David Moyes team would do.
The one person you are signalling out (in both posts) is the one person who's moved more than any other? One player isn't responsible for breaking down a low defensive block, it's about the whole unit. Making switches of play from Right to Left. Varying the attack from wide to through the middle. Having people come short whilst others go long, having a player that can take-on oppo 1v1. Putting in crosses one min, then playing short and around the corner the next.

We did this really well towards the end of the 1st half and throughout the entire 2nd half.

oEtZbYb.png

Tobes on the ball. Lamela hiding.
HnHvKes.png

So easy for Villa.
7IeOWG3.png

Still hiding.
JMw9OlJ.png

SLctFLd.png

uoar7gb.png

Eric has found his safe space.

0Oz2JRL.png

Not tonight, Toby. He's got a headache.
shKLTlp.png

"You have a go, Moussa."
GpfeVLs.png

"Don't want it, Tobes." Moura and Lamela offering nothing.

Ok so take Saturday, I groaned when I saw Lamela starting over Eriksen (Ericsson), I would have started Eriksen, if Dele, Son , Sess Lo Celso had of been available there is no way Lamela is getting on my bench , it really shouldn't need an explanation.

But Dele, Son , Sess And Lo Celso were not available..... so who would you have on the bench?

Back
Top Bottom