Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First off, Sherwood didn't sign Lamela (unless you are a total cynic), so he has absolutely no obligation to put Lamela in the side based on his price tag.

Lennon has been a fantastic player for Spurs for nearly ten years and is still causing defenders a number of issues every time he plays. Add to this the fact that both Lennon and Townsend have a fantastic bond with Walker as well. I have no doubt that Lamela has the potential to be better than both but potential doesn't get you starts. Neither does performing in Serie A, you have to perform when given the chance in a Spurs shirt, so far he hasn't really done that.

spurs arnt city if we going to fork out that the kind of money for a player it needs to be in a pounds to talent ratio not because the markets inflated or blah blah blah. His ether 30 millions pounds good or levy/baldini have completely fucked up.
secondly lamela has started 3 premier league games for us, admittedly he wasnt great and look off the pace but one of those games was city away and tbh every looked out of sorts..
the one europa game he looked good in, avb then decides not to start him the next game..
now i know your not a stats man per say so i wont bore you with statistical comparisions but honestly lennon and townsend do both consistently trouble defenders problem is, is that their final product is always lacking, townsend in his brief career and lennon for his entire..
imo lamela hasnt been given the run of games needed for him to build confidence and giving him brief cameo's to win his spot is just fucking stupid..,telling a 21 yr old kid with a 30 million price tag ' listen if you dont do some world class shit out there today im going to drop you for the next month' is just plain bad man management. now im not saying this is whats been or being said to him, but this instant gratification bs kinda grates me..
eriksen seems to have flourished under TS and amongst other reasons its because he knows his playing week in week out. Adebayor recently said in an interveiw for sky i think that his now focused on scoring goals and not simply getting in the team..he cridited this with his recent good form..
for me, townsend on the left, lamela on the right, ether in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1..eriksen playing centrally.

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
dembele paulinho/sandro
lamela eriksen towsnend
ade

or

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
paulinho sandro dembele
lamela ade eriksen

or with a 4-3-3 but abit more attacking

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
dembele paulinho eriksen
lamela ade townsend

ether way, lamela playing well may be the difference between europa or CL qualification for next year...

Last edited:
spurs arnt city if we going to fork out that the kind of money for a player it needs to be in a pounds to talent ratio not because the markets inflated or blah blah blah. His ether 30 millions pounds good or levy/baldini have completely fucked up.
secondly lamela has started 3 premier league games for us, admittedly he wasnt great and look off the pace but one of those games was city away and tbh every looked out of sorts..
the one europa game he looked good in, avb then decides not to start him the next game..
now i know your not a stats man per say so i wont bore you with statistical comparisions but honestly lennon and townsend do both consistently trouble defenders problem is, is that their final product is always lacking, townsend in his brief career and lennon for his entire..
imo lamela hasnt been given the run of games needed for him to build confidence and giving him brief cameo's to win his spot is just fucking stupid..,telling a 21 yr old kid with a 30 million price tag ' listen if you dont do some world class shit out there today im going to drop you for the next month' is just plain bad man management. now im not saying this is whats been or being said to him, but this instant gratification bs kinda grates me..
eriksen seems to have flourished under TS and amongst other reasons its because he knows his playing week in week out. Adebayor recently said in an interveiw for sky i think that his now focused on scoring goals and not simply getting in the team..he cridited this with his recent good form..
for me, townsend on the left, lamela on the right, ether in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1..eriksen playing centrally.

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
dembele paulinho/sandro
lamela eriksen towsnend
ade

or

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
paulinho sandro dembele
lamela ade eriksen

or with a 4-3-3 but abit more attacking

lloris
walker verts vlad rose
dembele paulinho eriksen
lamela ade townsend

ether way, lamela playing well may be the difference between europe or CL qualification for next year...

That is all well and good but at the moment he is recovering from a recurring thigh strain as far as we know. I agree with you that if he gets going he could well be the difference for us, if not this season, then in seasons to come. I hope that he gets some game time eventually and I am sure he will.

I have no problems with stats but only when they are used in the right context or at the right time, for example assist stats do not always tell us how effective or creative a player is, we all know that Modric never racked up bundles of assists for Spurs but he was undoubtedly one of our most creative players. One of the ways that Lennon and Townsend defy the stats is that they occupy defenders without ever having to do anything, their pace is that much of a threat that it keeps defenders busy at all times.

I don't think Lamela has had fair crack at the whip yet and I think that has been largely down to a bedding in period and also this injury that he has sustained. Like you said four games is not a fair reflection of his ability but had he made a real impression he may have played a few more games.

Make sure you realise I really like the kid and want him to come good, just think that it will take time for him to earn the managers trust and to prove himself at Spurs.

Just a side note, if I had to pick one of your XI's I would go for the second one.

@ Pairsy1882 Pairsy1882
just reading an article from a roma blog on lamela that was posted much earlier in the thread. not sure if you have read it but it kinda confirms your point and is well worth a read..
it also solidifies in my mind why lamela is really only suited to a 4-3-3 as he lacks positional awareness..
http://www.chiesaditotti.com/2013/8/14/4621442/erik-lamela-the-elephant

A decent read mate, it essentially affirmed some of my beliefs about Lamela. He is clearly hugely talented and that potential is what we have paid for. It is a gamble but it is a gamble that should, if he is nurtured properly, pay off. I would put him and Eriksen in a similar boat, in that they are both slight gambles for Spurs. Eriksen has been known to drift in and out of games and I get the feeling Lamela is similar, I am certain they will both come good (Eriksen is already showing some excellent signs) in the near future.

If they weren't gambles we would've been fighting off the big boys to sign them. Instead we signed them without too much hassle. You could even put Chiriches in the same category.

I love all three of them and have extremely high hopes for them and I in my heart of hearts think that those three could be the future of this club.

I think Levy has probably written off the 30m we dished out for him, no doubt he'll hang around untill the end of the season before he's flogged off on loan to an Inter Milan or Ateli Madrid.

LOL the idea that Levy would "write off" such a significant investment is hilarious. Almost as funny as believing we payed £30 million in one big lump. There are bound to be dozens of clauses and add ons which are unlikely to be met after a couple of starts and a few subs appearances.

LOL the idea that Levy would "write off" such a significant investment is hilarious. Almost as funny as believing we payed £30 million in one big lump. There are bound to be dozens of clauses and add ons which are unlikely to be met after a couple of starts and a few subs appearances.

There will be a minimum of 23-25m we'll need to pay Roma regardless of add ons and clauses, if we have or not already is another matter but believing that Levy is a man with a plan is hilarious, the bloke is a bellend who allowed a manager to spend close to a 100m on new players and sacked him before Christmas had even arrived.

There will be a minimum of 23-25m we'll need to pay Roma regardless of add ons and clauses, if we have or not already is another matter but believing that Levy is a man with a plan is hilarious, the bloke is a bellend who allowed a manager to spend close to a 100m on new players and sacked him before Christmas had even arrived.

Plan or not. He's not one to write off an asset after just six months. See Jenas, and Bentley. And given AVBs comments about too many players coming in, you have to question if he was the one who bought them.

Plans sometimes go to shit. Levy clearly had a plan and it centered around AVB and we don't need to waste time waxing philosophical why things didn't work out. AVB was his guy, he invested 100MM to support him and build a team of exciting, talented players and we were scraping by when we all had visions of world domination in our near future.

I'm not one to always defend Levy but let's try to have a little perspective. Just about 5 months ago, this place was filled with .gifs of dancing Levy and jokes about what a mastermind he is, now he's a bellend without a plan.

Plans sometimes go to shit. Levy clearly had a plan and it centered around AVB and we don't need to waste time waxing philosophical why things didn't work out. AVB was his guy, he invested 100MM to support him and build a team of exciting, talented players and we were scraping by when we all had visions of world domination in our near future.

I'm not one to always defend Levy but let's try to have a little perspective. Just about 5 months ago, this place was filled with .gifs of dancing Levy and jokes about what a mastermind he is, now he's a bellend without a plan.

More like delusions of grandeur and idiocy. How much money have chelsea and city invested over the years?. On their first push for top 4 city went through a run of ONE win in 10 games and finished 5th. Spending 100m, not off the back of selling a world class player but from their sugar daddy in the UAE.

The level of support is mixed. we hardly brought in the targets identifed by AVB. It is not a shocker that a physical striker like Negredo would hit the ground running faster than soldado. Neither is it a stretch of the imagination to believe that Hulk would hit the ground running faster than Lamela. That's not to say Lamela won't get there but it will obviously take time.

I'm far from an expert and I may have no idea what I'm talking about but IMO Lamela seems to be a bit too tentative and he plays too scared and cautious. This isn't necessarily his fault. I think he's put in a tough situation because the few starts he gets he feels like if he makes just one mistake then he'll be put back on the bench. I think TS needs to put a little bit of blind trust into Lamela and start him in a stretch of a few games so Lamela gets more comfortable and can have confidence and be his creative self. Then we'll see the real Lamela and then we can see if he was a bust or not.

Disagree.

Tim will see Lamela on the training ground each day. He should not just throw Lamela in, and start him in a few games regardless of whether or not he is up to it. Tim will be judged on results and performances, if he does not believe he would get a decent performance out of him, he should not play him.
From what I have seen of him, and I was never the biggest fan of AVB by any stretch, in fact I never rated him at all,but that decision he got right, Lamela is not ready to play in the Premier League

No, I just find it laughable that people think CL qualification or not will be down to Lamela

I think the point is that a player like Lamela could potentially have the X factor to take us up a gear in a way that its unlikely a Siggy or a Chadli would.
Not to say he's better or not. That's just how I read the comment

No, I just find it laughable that people think CL qualification or not will be down to Lamela

CL qualification will come down to a couple of points, gotton by a couple of goals in a couple of crucial moments...lamela if we qualifiy will be by no means a major contributor to this success however i feel if we can get him playing well his goals/performances might well be the difference...
just remember his assist for pauli against i think norwich and remember how close we got to 4th last year...theres 3 points for you just there...

I think the point is that a player like Lamela could potentially have the X factor to take us up a gear in a way that its unlikely a Siggy or a Chadli would.
Not to say he's better or not. That's just how I read the comment

Based on their time at Spurs and their confidence levels at the moment?

Or based on Lamela for Roma last season, and his price tag?

CL qualification will come down to a couple of points, gotton by a couple of goals in a couple of crucial moments...lamela if we qualifiy will be by no means a major contributor to this success however i feel if we can get him playing well his goals/performances might well be the difference...
just remember his assist for pauli against i think norwich and remember how close we got to 4th last year...theres 3 points for you just there...

You could say that for any player in the squad

Back
Top Bottom