Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And why bring Kane on at 3 nil down, absolute buffoonery.
Because 1 away goal would have made a massive difference

If Poch is a buffoon - I guess that makes you an amoeba in terms of football intelligence

Log off for good - you add nothing of value other than constantly slating the manager and posting Redknapp and Adebayor reacharounds

We struggled against Swansea. Poch got annoyed, cause we didn't take them seriously. Do you really think that he was gonna put up a second string team against Villa and say "Relax Boys, it's just Villa. You won't have to Apple yourselves today, it's a free win". It's not how the Premier League works. We will most likely win the game, IF we're not out of energy and we take the game seriously.

And a two week break due to internationals?

Hugo: France - Doesn't matter

Toby, Mousa, Nacer (?): Belgium - Toby is a worry but I'm sure a tweak could happen or a quiet word with their manager.

Danny(?), Kyle, Harry, Eric, Dele, Ryan(?): England - Harry might play a half. Only one to really worry about is Dele. He might play two halves. of the two games. Danny wants to play. One game won't hurt. He's been rotated well.

Kevin: Austria - He should be fine. He's hardly played half a season.

Nabil: Algeria - Doesn't matter.
Ben: Wales - Fine

Christian: Denmark - This one could be an issue.

Erik: Argentina - Won't be selected
Son: South Korea - Fine, he needs matches anyway.

Joshua: England U21 - Fine. Needs matches anyway.

I guess maybe Tom and Michel gets to rest, along with Clinton and Jan.

I disagree about Villa. In regard to your internationals

go: France - Doesn't matter

Danny(?), Kyle, Harry, Eric, Dele, Ryan(?): England - Harry might play a half. Only one to really worry about is Dele. He might play two halves. of the two games. Danny wants to play. One game won't hurt. He's been rotated well.

Toby, Mousa, Nacer (?): Belgium - Toby is a worry but I'm sure a tweak could happen or a quiet word with their manager.

Kevin: Austria - He should be fine. He's hardly played half a season.

Nabil: Algeria - Doesn't matter.
Ben: Wales - Fine

Christian: Denmark - This one could be an issue.

Erik: Argentina - Won't be selected

Son: South Korea - Fine, he needs matches anyway.

Joshua: England U21 - Fine. Needs matches anyway.

Injuries aside it won't be a problem.

I think the game last night showed how much we miss Dier when he's out. They were able to get in behind our wing-backs because Toby and Wimmer had to stay more central.

Mason and Carroll are both good players, useful to have in the squad, but neither of them (or Bentaleb for that matter) bring what Dier does to the table. Perhaps we would have got away with it playing against some teams - against one of the most in-form teams in Europe, no chance.

More than the inexperienced side (who, individually as players really aren't bad no matter how much people were slating them last night) it was the change to our system and style of play which really let us down.

We need more cover for the DM position - whether we buy it or whether we promote someone like Ball to the team, we just need someone who can play the same role in the team.
We tried to get the guy from Southampton, but they were not having it. Wanyama.

Once I saw Mason & Carroll as our DMs there was no hope. What we know is that the squad is not good enough in depth to compete in the Premier and Champions Leagues. Which will mean a whole new level of carping and bitching about signings (or the lack of them) in the summer.

It will be interesting to see the attitude from the club though - improve and strengthen to make meaningful challenges in both, or stick roughly with what we have got and just take the money. I know what I want and what I expect and they are very different.

There are enough arguments in defence of Pochettino and against him for his team selection.

The predominant one against was mentioned to me yesterday: Why bother against Fiorentina if we were then going to throw it away against Dortmund (whether he'd of done the same against Bilbao for example we'll never know).

The one that says 'It's only Villa next' has really pissed me off. It was only Villa last season at home and we contrived to lose that. It was 'only' Newcastle this season (and last) both at home, we lost those too.

The attitude of people when we have won nothing suggests that were we to win the league they'd become insufferable.

I was disappointed but the manager, the staff and the medical team will know better than us just who is more at risk of injury, who was in desperate need of a rest, and who might well be needed more in the run in.

But for Pochettino, Villa on Sunday becomes a must win.

If we're in the Champions League next year last night gave us a reality check in terms of our squad depth, rotating the side like we have been doing in the Europa group stages won't cut the mustard when it comes to the CL.

Gutted about last night, but hopefully in hindsight we'll be able to say Poch made the right call.

disappointed yes but poch made the right choice for me he made the title priority and risk the EL face it he knew the players were spent and was giving them a much needed rest ahead of villa on sunday he took a caculated risk by putting our second unit out in hoping for a marginal defeat the least but they werent up to it

Spurs completely outplayed by a superior team, but what I don't understand is this: why did Poch throw in the towel with the competition so late on? Why not play weaker sides earlier in the competition, get knocked out, and focus on the PL?
I dare not look at my ratings on this forum, for I was very unpopular for suggesting it would be a good thing if Fiorentina knocked us out like they did last year.
I also said the squad would be knackered from too many games, which is now obviously is.
Spurs can forget about the title now, which I think is between Leicester and Woolwich.
They need to focus on getting top 4.
Poch's a great manager but his methods need a deep squad full of quality. He isn't going to get that at Spurs so I still think the Chelsea move could be on for him.
Spursy, as they say!
We're just as much in for the title as Woolwich

10-son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

I was infuriated when i saw the team selection. why the f*ck did poche play full strength squads earlier in the competition vs monaco and fiorentina only to play our reserves in what could of been a showcase for spurs... if your gonna throw in the towel vs dortmund why tire the first team earlier in the season when we had games 3 days later? wtf

On the game, I for one cannot understand the selection. I'm not often critical of Poch but he threw that game before a ball was kicked. Where was a goal going to come from? Where was the protection in front of the defence?

I just can't believe what we did against Dortmund. Some poor decisions were made and we're now out of the tie with 90 minutes still to play.

What team do we play for the second leg? Well he better fucking put the kids out again, because he obviously feels the first team need to focus on the Premier League and aren't capable of juggling both competitions now. If he wastes our first team on 90 minutes at home to BVB only to inevitably crash out anyway, I'll be fuming.

To weaken the midfield to that extent...what else could we expect?

That was fucking embarrassing last night. Not because of the scoreline. There's no shame in losing to Dortmund 3-0. But the manner in which we went about the game, and team we chose to try and keep us in the tie was ridiculous. We barely broke into their half, let alone troubled Weidenfeller.

On the game, I for one cannot understand the selection. I'm not often critical of Poch but he threw that game before a ball was kicked. Where was a goal going to come from? Where was the protection in front of the defence?

I just can't believe what we did against Dortmund. Some poor decisions were made and we're now out of the tie with 90 minutes still to play.

What team do we play for the second leg? Well he better fucking put the kids out again, because he obviously feels the first team need to focus on the Premier League and aren't capable of juggling both competitions now. If he wastes our first team on 90 minutes at home to BVB only to inevitably crash out anyway, I'll be fuming.

To weaken the midfield to that extent...what else could we expect?

That was fucking embarrassing last night. Not because of the scoreline. There's no shame in losing to Dortmund 3-0. But the manner in which we went about the game, and team we chose to try and keep us in the tie was ridiculous. We barely broke into their half, let alone troubled Weidenfeller.
Now imagine how City fans felt when the saw the line-up vs Chavs in the FA Cup...

We're just as much in for the title as Woolwich
i think he is going off the usual poch burnout which would suggest we will struggle a bit for the final few months.

Doesnt mean it will happen. But i think it will & has already began.
Which is why i think poch rested all those players last night. He has probably seen the players flagging in training & games.

Dont forget a lot said theres no such thing as fatigue & burn out. & theres no way poch will rest players away to dortmund.

I think poch is very worried about the fitness of the players at the moment.

I would say leicester & Woolwich are still more likely to win the title if u also throw in the remaining fixtures.
We have the hardest in my view.
Still very confident of top 4 though.

At least we can focus & put everything in to the league games now.
So looking foward to having jan back too.
Wimmers done a good job covering from him but jan is a level up from him.

I also think that fatigue at this stage of the season is mental as well as physical. The players have to be switched on mentally to perform at the highest level and a bad result at this stage of the season can get into players heads, suddenly decisions on the pitch that were straight forward a few weeks ago become difficult.

This is where united were so good in recent seasons, they had a manager who would build them up physiologically and heap pressure on opponents

i think he is going off the usual poch burnout which would suggest we will struggle a bit for the final few months.

Doesnt mean it will happen. But i think it will & has already began.
Which is why i think poch rested all those players last night. He has probably seen the players flagging in training & games.

Dont forget a lot said theres no such thing as fatigue & burn out. & theres no way poch will rest players away to dortmund.

I think poch is very worried about the fitness of the players at the moment.

I would say leicester & Woolwich are still more likely to win the title if u also throw in the remaining fixtures.
We have the hardest in my view.
Still very confident of top 4 though.

At least we can focus & put everything in to the league games now.
So looking foward to having jan back too.
Wimmers done a good job covering from him but jan is a level up from him.
Our problem is that key players like Kane and Dier, that play incredibly important roles in our system, are completely knackered. We wouldn't be in this situation if we had players to rotate with during the season. It's hopefully positions we'll address in the summer (we're already being linked with strikers and cms as it is).

Back
Top Bottom