The Mighty Spurs vs Karren Brady's Bunch (of twats) (AWAY) 19:45 - 02/03/16

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm disappointed that we didn't go top of the league, and that we were made to look so poor by West Ham. That said, they were clearly right up for it from the start, and they're in great form at the moment at home.

I've been quite impressed with West Ham this season and it's quite refreshing to see a team winning against us and not parking the bus! They continued to attack and were even bringing on extra strikers (albeit one of them being Andy Carroll) late on. I've come to respect Bilic this season and I think he's a good manager.

Unfortunately we still look a little poor with our touch in the final third, and struggle to break down teams that are solid at the back. In my opinion Trippier and Davies shouldn't play together - it should be one or the other with either Walker or Rose to inject a bit of pace down the flanks.

Overall I'm not overly disappointed with the result or even really the way we played. We were made to look average because West Ham played very well, that's all. We're still within three points of top, and still three above Woolwich. Hopefully we bounce back from this result (as we have all season) and get a good result against them.

This is definitely not the end of our season, there are still 30 points to play for. Plenty of reasons to be positive and we're still title challengers! If we continue on with our recent form top four is looking a very real prospect, and we could even still win the whole thing. It's a great season to be a spurs fan.

Now to face my West Ham-supporting boss at work today...

This quote from the BBC website pretty much sums up How I feel about Sputs this morning.

There is no reason to lose faith in a Spurs side that has come so far this season - but they still need to answer the question about whether they can crack it when the heat is on, because they came up short at West Ham.

I think if Dembele had been fit he would have played.
Yeah, same here. It would have been the perfect game for him really. Perhaps Bentaleb for Chadli (or Mason for Chadli, with Bentaleb next to Dier) would have been more effective. It's all hindsight now I suppose

Its also important to add, expectations change throughout the season. Before the season started just earning a champions league place was our aim. As it is starting to feel that we have surpassed that goal and are in a battle for top spot, I feel reverting back to the phrase "before the season started we would of taken where we are so its not all that bad" is a naive outlook. We have had a storming season so far and for me our expectation has exceeded that of simply 4th place and we should now be aiming, or expecting a top 3 if not top 2 finish.

Of course if we do finish 4th it will feel strangely odd to say "im disapointeded we didn't finish higher" but at this moment in time we need to apply the pressure and get back to winning ways. I'm just glad our "slip up" came now and hopefully its out of the way.

On to the weekend. COYS!

We will struggle against teams with power in midfield if we have neither Dembele nor Alli playing, because the second string midfielders will not provide enough cover and ball-winning through the middle.

Harry could still have won it though, two shocking misses really. He is back to his early season form and that's a worry.

And that pitch- they must keep their pikey horses on it all week.

WHU subdued us with very simple means. That's the truth. It was very simple to keep us from not playing well.

They engineered a game, where coincidences a la the Chadli switch off would decide the result, and they did so at purpose.

I see a lot of talk about lack of toughness and lack of tackling. But in reality we just lacked mental strenght to keep playing football, keep passing the ball. We got stressed into releasing the ball too early and to wildly. That only enforces their pressing game. On the contrary we needed to keep the ball longer, suck in opposition pressers and only pass on the ball when closed down.

I see a lot of talk about lack of toughness and lack of tackling. But in reality we just lacked mental strenght to keep playing football, keep passing the ball. We got stressed into releasing the ball too early and to wildly. That only enforces their pressing game. On the contrary we needed to keep the ball longer, suck in opposition pressers and only pass on the ball when closed down.

Yeah, they put 'the press' on us and we lost our heads. we gave the ball away cheaply because they're wasn't enough players making the space available to receive.

in the end we got done again by the 'cup final' mentality.

Ol gibbsy is banging away on Twitter about how Poch fucked up by not playing him. He didn't know he was injured - and as he is Tottenham's biggest fan - I wouldn't blame others for thinking the same.

Obviously some fans don't follow what happens at FA Cup matches :kanehand:. It's been widely reported he suffered a minor groin strain. I'd seen others posting it had been for 2 months! :lamelashock:

I'm not sure if Dembele will be fit enough to start on Saturday, certainly need him to be on the bench at least. I'm praying for a start though :avbpray:

Then we have very different standards for playing well.

And we certainly weren't playing very well in 2nd half either, we had much of the ball, but could barely get it into final third let alone create any kind of open chances.
We dominated Swansea, City and Fiorentina no? Our only poor performances recently were West Ham and Palace. We're the form team in the entire league. How are we not having good performances?

Back
Top Bottom