Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

10931142_10153126718790848_281382614718734348_n.jpg

speaking of Villa.

what a fall from top tier football this guy had
It's sad as he was always touted as such a prospect. He won loads of trophies at Chelsea but didn't become the player he was expected to be. Was it down to Mou making him more functional, lack of footballing intelligence, knee injuries or all three?

He came out with a few gems today:

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood has been fronting up to the media after rumours emerged that he could lose his job should Villa lose to Chelsea on Saturday.

The Englishman is in defiant mood: "Once I get through this period everyone will benefit. Aston Villa will and Tim Sherwood will," he said.

"I'm a football manager and am responsible for results. That's what I'm paid for. I'll stand up to this."

After being booed off after losing to Stoke last time out Sherwood was equally confident that he'll win them around. "They were singing my name three weeks ago - they'll be singing my name in another three weeks."
God, I hate the fact that in every interview he's always going on about being a football manager. It's as if he needs to keep reminding himself that he's not the inexperienced fraud that deep down he knows he is.

God, I hate the fact that in every interview he's always going on about being a football manager. It's as if he needs to keep reminding himself that he's not the inexperienced fraud that deep down he knows he is.
Yes his inferiority complex gives us a glimpse every now and then!

Crrrrikey.

Tim: Losing Benteke like losing Suarez or Bale

Date published: Saturday 17th October 2015 9:34

GettyImages-472426352-700x367.jpg

In that he was a footballer leaving one club for a better club, Tim Sherwood?

After weeks of war cries and claims that he is the man to turn Aston Villa’s situation around, Sherwood has now changed tact, explaining quite why he couldn’t be expected to do a better job than he is. It was all about Christian Benteke, you see.

“Benteke leaving was absolutely the same as Suarez, or Gareth Bale. If he didn’t have a clause in his contract then £100m wouldn’t have taken him away from us,” Sherwood said. “He wasn’t worth selling for any money. No money can guarantee you Premier League survival – that player could.

“It’s all relative but we scraped through relegation last season and were the worst team left in the Premier League. We lost our three best players and that should put it in perspective.

“You do drop, we can’t afford to drop. We have to make sure we stay at least where we was, and higher. That’s the size of the task ahead. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy and I think all the decision-makers at the club appreciated that.”

Hmmm, but you did get to spend that money again, didn’t you Tim? And at the start of the season your squad was still better than at least three others in the Premier League.

It’s also weird that Sherwood is now so downbeat about the club’s chances for this season. After all, who was it saying this on August 13:

“It’s good that the club have backed me,” Sherwood said. “Change is what was needed. We’ve sold a lot of players, so we needed to replenish. And we brought in a lot of money, so the owner has not put that back into his pocket, he’s invested into the squad, which we’re all very excited about.”

“It’s up to me to make sure that the ones we bring in to the club gel as quickly as possible. If we can consolidate this season, we’re only going to improve in the seasons ahead because it’s such a young group.”

From “it’s up to me” to “we were the worst team left in the Premier League. We lost our three best players and that should put it in perspective”. Sounds like somebody is getting their excuses in for when they lose their job.

We’ll say what we have said about Sherwood all along. You can have patience when there are reasons for keeping the faith. Do we have any evidence that Sherwood is the right manager for this job? No.

Tim: Losing Benteke like losing Suarez or Bale - Football365

The avb project was clearly broken and I don't think it was all his fault, but a change was probably required in hindsight. (I would have stuck with him a while longer though)

But I stand by my original post in this thread that said that if we were looking for an improvement as a club going forward why put an amateur in charge full time? What was this decision based on? It was a complete joke and thank god we got rid when we did because I could totally have seen us going down the pan if he'd stuck around longer

In fairness I had heard a lot of people say that Tim was highly thought of and had the potential to be a very good manager, it really was no surprise that Levy allowed him an 18 month contract for what was really a caretaker role with the promise of what could have been should he have lived up to his alleged potential.

It's just fortunate that we realised by the end of the season that's Tim's potential and hype was built around him being able to talk the talk, and that when it came down to him backing up his words with actions he was quickly found to be a complete fucking fraud.

It's easy for someone on the outside to say how it could / would / should be and earn some admirers for his ideals, but putting those ideals in to practice and being the manager you convinced everyone you could be is a different game altogether.

It's sad as he was always touted as such a prospect. He won loads of trophies at Chelsea but didn't become the player he was expected to be. Was it down to Mou making him more functional, lack of footballing intelligence, knee injuries or all three?

I heard that he was a pretty heavy smoker. If that's the case I would say that he was happy just to collect his Premier League wages and enjoy his life. Unlike someone like Bale, who is tee-total and has dedicated his life in order to become the best player he possibly can.

In fairness I had heard a lot of people say that Tim was highly thought of and had the potential to be a very good manager, it really was no surprise that Levy allowed him an 18 month contract for what was really a caretaker role with the promise of what could have been should he have lived up to his alleged potential.

It's just fortunate that we realised by the end of the season that's Tim's potential and hype was built around him being able to talk the talk, and that when it came down to him backing up his words with actions he was quickly found to be a complete fucking fraud.

It's easy for someone on the outside to say how it could / would / should be and earn some admirers for his ideals, but putting those ideals in to practice and being the manager you convinced everyone you could be is a different game altogether.

I don't think Levy gave him any contract.

He just allowed him to work out the last 18 months of his youth team contract as manager until another manager was brought in.

He never had a chance of being appointed full time and knew it but was happy to see it through as it would be a springboard to get another club.

I heard he was instrumental in bringing down AVB beforehand.

None of which reflects positively on our club and I hope those days are behind us but you never know with Levy!

:levystare:

I don't think Levy gave him any contract.

He just allowed him to work out the last 18 months of his youth team contract as manager until another manager was brought in.

He never had a chance of being appointed full time and knew it but was happy to see it through as it would be a springboard to get another club.

I heard he was instrumental in bringing down AVB beforehand.

None of which reflects positively on our club and I hope those days are behind us but you never know with Levy!

:levystare:
I think that was a pretty wide spread rumour.

It also reflects badly on Sherwood. If he back stabbed AVB out of a job to get himself into pole position to take over he will never be one to be trusted as a person. maybe that's why Levy got shut as soon as he could get someone else in? He is showing his true worth at Villa. & he's going to take them into the championship at this rate.

I don't think he undermined AVB to get himself in, more like he couldn't get on with him and just wanted him out.

Levy just wanted a stopgap so he could get his own man in (Poch) after AVB and Tim was ideal in that he had an 18 month contract as youth team coach so Levy didn't "get rid" as such and used Tim to achieve his own ends.

I don't think many would argue that Tim was relatively successful as a youth team coach.

His record at Villa is a different argument.

He has lost key players such as Delph, Benteke etc which haven't been replaced and, judging from last nights performance on MOTD, he's lost the dressing room as that was a poor performance against the chavs to put it mildly!
(Gave those cunts and Mourinho breathing space!)

Digressing I'm beginning to feel the same way about Costa as I did about Suerez!

Very good players (they don't get 'great' from me!) but I don't want thugs like that in our PL!
You would have thought Gcosta would have learned his lesson after his latest suspension but it appears not as he just can't help himself as shown by a couple of highlights where he was kicking out at players!

Rant over!

:wansum:

Too many managers sacked too soon. Not good for the game.

Still, I wouldn't mind him keeping the job just long enough to see us hammer that lot at Villa Park. Wouldn't mind the least, tbh.

I don't think many would argue that Tim was relatively successful as a youth team coach.

According to many of our youth followers, he was not a coach as such but an administrative figure, who was awfully swift at taking credit for work done by truely talented youth coaches and development people like Inglethorpe, McDermott and Ramsay.

So that one may be up for discussion.

He appears to be a rather deft politician apart from the fact that he struggles to contain himself.

Will have an excellent TV career a la Redknapp, Merson and Carragher, though. Producers and common fans love his laddie style and football-is-for-everyone attitude.

Back
Top Bottom