Garnering Attention for Spurs Stateside

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are in no way the Knicks though. They're pure garbage haha.

Oh and because the PL is the most competitive league in the world. Americans love soem good aul competition.

I'm not trying to be a turd but I hate the word "franchise" in the context of football clubs (with the exception of MK Dons and Woolwich). We are Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Other that I thought it was a well written piece.

Enjoyed that, good work in boosting "the Spurs" in the states :adesalute:

That video of the Dempsey interview made me miss him a little bit, didn't set the world alight did he but a dogged player who could bag you a goal at the right time

Nice to see any article promoting Spurs. However I can't help pointing out a few errors that need correcting:

- British Premier League- its English not British.
- UEFA Cup was the forerunner of Europa League not Champions League

- Gritty and scrappy? Not sure that's a worthy description of Spurs. More like stylish with an occasionally soft under belly!

-Very jealous of your TV access to every match though

I was groomed as a Yankee, Giant, Ranger, and Knick fan, and picked up Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, and Tottenham Hotspur football fandom along the way.
Congrats, you've made me question my support of Spurs.

By the way, you could have at least embedded a video of a Spurs highlight, not a Real Madrid one.

The biggest mistake American's make when trying to sell other American's on Spurs is the comparison to a US team (Knicks, Mets, Rangers, etc). Especially when the comparison they make isn't even remotely accurate. When I first started watching Spurs I said they were a lot like the pre-2004 Red Sox in that they seem to always come so close, but do something that inevitably ruins their chances. However, what I've come to realize is that you can make that comparison with almost any team that hasn't won a championship in some time.

The biggest mistake American's make when trying to sell other American's on Spurs is the comparison to a US team (Knicks, Mets, Rangers, etc). Especially when the comparison they make isn't even remotely accurate. When I first started watching Spurs I said they were a lot like the pre-2004 Red Sox in that they seem to always come so close, but do something that inevitably ruins their chances. However, what I've come to realize is that you can make that comparison with almost any team that hasn't won a championship in some time.

I would also add that it changes by the year and you could frankly be putting a bad taste into someone's mouth with the comparison. If they don't like that particular team or don't find that style of an organization appealing, you would just be ruining the initial experience for them.

I will never get my head around the concept of picking a team to support. I firmly believe the team picks you. To support a football team, means that you would support them if it was relegated all the out of the leagues. People who pick a team from a list only pick that team because they are after glory, when that is not achieved they fuck off, or constantly bitch about not spending enough money, wanting mangers sacked, owners run out of town, players should be sold, why aren't we more like *insert name here*.
If you are looking to support a team for life than look for a team the the way you found your wife of loved one. Have some fun, play the field and one day a bolt from nowhere will hit you. You don't know why, she might not be the best looking bird, she has a stupid laugh, you just know she's the one.

Enjoyed that, good work in boosting "the Spurs" in the states :adesalute:

That video of the Dempsey interview made me miss him a little bit, didn't set the world alight did he but a dogged player who could bag you a goal at the right time
At the pub over the weekend there were a couple of guys singing something like, "we need a shit goal from Dempsey, we need a shit goal from Dempsey, la la la la, lala la la." Perfectly sums up what you said and also has a connection with the recent songs thread.

I will never get my head around the concept of picking a team to support. I firmly believe the team picks you. To support a football team, means that you would support them if it was relegated all the out of the leagues. People who pick a team from a list only pick that team because they are after glory, when that is not achieved they fuck off, or constantly bitch about not spending enough money, wanting mangers sacked, owners run out of town, players should be sold, why aren't we more like *insert name here*.
If you are looking to support a team for life than look for a team the the way you found your wife of loved one. Have some fun, play the field and one day a bolt from nowhere will hit you. You don't know why, she might not be the best looking bird, she has a stupid laugh, you just know she's the one.
That was pretty much my point in the "other sports" thread. Someone wanted convincing to get him into baseball and hockey. I told him you gotta watch teams, watch games, see what players you like, who you don't like, etc. I swore to myself I wouldn't follow just one team while watching the premier league. Then one day that bolt hit me and it was wearing lilywhite.

Back
Top Bottom