Tottenham Hotspur B - Checkatrade Trophy 2017-2018 - The Road to Wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The club I work for are an ex Conference club. in 1988 we had to stop playing as our ground was sold. We started again in 2000 at THE bottom of the pyramid. Since 2000 we have won 4 titles and 6 promotions to get to the Conference North. 2 steps below League 2.
Stick in a League 3 and you are effectively pushing us down another level after we worked fucking hard to get to where we are now. why, because for some reason people think that u21s playing at level 4 will benefit England.
Bollocks.
if they are good enough between 17 and 21 they will be pushing the first team. Rooney, Shaw to name but 2. With the way the academies are set up now premier clubs have the pick of the best youth in the country anyway, so why not sign these players, give them the academy coaching, but leave them at the club they signed them from to also develop within the first team arena. Don't sign them, train them and then basically play them against other u21s and conference players. That won't help.
The only way to assist is the restriction on foreign players, and an u21 rule for the 1st team as they do in Scotland. They won't though because of that one thing. Money.
The FA need to look at bringing more coaches through, reducing the costs of getting badges and get rid of the red tape.
As I mentioned before. German clubs want to do away with the B league and bring back the u21 league, so what do they know that we don't?

Oh and one other thing, the Premier League have basically blackmailed the League and Conference by telling them they will reduce funding if they don't accept this proposal. Fair?
Great post, I agree 100%, what the hell is happening with modern football?
Back in the 70's Liverpool won the league & European cup and used something like 13 players all season. Today top flight clubs have bloated first team squads and endless players in the youth teams. And they wonder why they all can't get a game. There was nothing wrong with the old football combination, at least that competition gave the clubs an opportunity to give playing time to fringe players and minutes on the pitch to those coming back from injury.

The FA are supposed to be the guardians of our game, they are duty bound to look after the interest of the game as a whole, and that includes non league teams as well.
I watch a lot of non league footy, and fans at that level are really against the league 3 idea, and this new plan is another ill thought out idea just to appease the top flight clubs.

Why should the club you work for be scared of a new challenge? Why would your clubs players not want to play against high profile players on thousands?

You said your ground was sold and you made it back. I said that earlier, it's patronizing to smaller clubs thinking they will just go away. It's not like people stopped supporting yours and it didn't have a ground.

Playing Chelsea B team and stuffing them will be great for everyone, prestige, players on 14 k a week getting stuffed etc etc.

The last part you mentioned I don't know about. Is it less money than they are currently getting, or is it they wont get the Prem B team money? For it to work, the lower league teams HAVE to get more money out of it surely?

i actually find this post really patronising.
fuck the little clubs. Their players want to play the big boys. you done it once you can do it again.
my players want to play as high as they can yes, on a level playing field against teams of a similar stature. Not against a clubs reserve team.
They play because they love the game. not for thousands a week.
Alex Pritchard for example is going to gain NO benefit playing against Nuneaton. he'd gain more at Swindon against better players.
The whole thing is farcical.
sort out the coaching and the grass roots facilities before anything else. Help the lower leagues produce the better players for the big boys instead if taking them at age 8 and coaching the natural ability and love of the game out if them.
As for my last point. The FA has said they may have to reduce the (pitiful) funding they give the league and conference if it's not accepted.

i actually find this post really patronising.
fuck the little clubs. Their players want to play the big boys. you done it once you can do it agai
my players want to play as high as they can yes, on a level playing field.

Is that true? You can speak for the players? They would rather play a team half the country don't know the name of than Tottenham b?

And fuck the clubs is you putting words in my mouth. Nobody is claiming loaning players from the prem is an unfair advantage. Look at QPR, they thought their loan signings were gash.

It's not like the first team are playing them.

The loan system is not working.

Is that true? You can speak for the players? They would rather play a team half the country don't know the name of than Tottenham b?

And fuck the clubs is you putting words in my mouth. Nobody is claiming loaning players from the prem is an unfair advantage. Look at QPR, they thought their loan signings were gash.

It's not like the first team are playing them.

The loan system is not working.
I imagine he can speak for the players, given he has quite clearly outlined his close relationship with a non-league club and its players.

Why does playing Tottenham B make a difference to them than playing Slough or Blyth Spartans? This is non-league football. A completely different kettle of fish. Almost a different sport in many aspects. They don't give a flying fuck about Premier League sides.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Loaning players is unfair? Not really, as anyone can loan a player. There's no rule to say League 2 teams can't loan Championship players. If anything is unfair, it's that some teams are bankrolled by rich owners. FFP and the Football League are putting measures in place to limit this.

The loan system does work, just not necessarily for some of our players recently. There are plenty of success stories - you just choose not to mention them.

The loan system does work, just not necessarily for some of our players recently. There are plenty of success stories - you just choose not to mention them.

All the more reason for us to abandon it. It's working for others and not us? I put spurs first. This will be good for spurs. It's not a fuck you to lower teams, it's a new challenge.

Why does playing Tottenham B make a difference to them than playing Slough or Blyth Spartans?

Stupid fucking question. Who would you raise your game for? Against a team with premiership ties or Slough? Who would fans get more satisfaction beating other than historic rivalries?

Stupid fucking question. Who would you raise your game for? Against a team with premiership ties or Slough? Who would fans get more satisfaction beating other than historic rivalries?
matches v reserve teams are usually very poorly attended.
again Germany can have attendances of less than 300

Oh what the fuck do you know - the Gibberer doesn't have to actually know what he's talking about to be able to put you down and patronise you. He has a track record of talking total shit on every conceivable subject related to football - a subject he clearly has no coherent knowledge of.
Know your place.
:D

I hadn't realised that the club secretary cleaned the toilets.......

I am actually in two minds on this. While i am totally against the League 3 proposal, the JPT idea might work as long as the FL has the right to withdraw from the agreement after the initial two year deal. It has to be worthwhile financially for the lower league teams to even be considered.

I imagine he can speak for the players, given he has quite clearly outlined his close relationship with a non-league club and its players.
He can't. Does the toilet cleaner of whl or lev talk for the players?
Actually I can. I'm the club secretary. The one who goes to league AGMS, EGMS, the one who signs the players and has to have a very close relationship with the players.
Thanks Bumchin Bumchin

Thanks Bumchin Bumchin

Shock horror Gibbsy - you don't actually know EVERYTHING!

All the more reason for us to abandon it. It's working for others and not us? I put spurs first. This will be good for spurs. It's not a fuck you to lower teams, it's a new challenge.
Shame you're not on the Board of Directors or some position of power then really. Until then, you putting Spurs first is not only irrelevant, but questionable, given your approach to some Spurs-related topics.

Loans work. Rose was player of the season at Sunderland. He couldn't have done much more. The fact he wasn't good enough for us last season is testament to the quality we demand from our players. Sunderland are probably on par with us in terms of size of club, yet Danny Rose was their best player and one of our worst.

Maybe he just isn't good enough, but he deserved a chance. He done what was asked of him at Sunderland, but he doesn't cut the mustard at Spurs. Then again, the other 3 defenders (whichever 3 that might be as the rotation was shocking last season) hardly lit up the league either.

Shame you're not on the Board of Directors or some position of power then really. Until then, you putting Spurs first is not only irrelevant, but questionable, given your approach to some Spurs-related topics.

Loans work. Rose was player of the season at Sunderland.

Good for them. It was bad for us. Worked for them, backfired for us.

You said you would not support Spurs players because of league politics.

Things will change in all aspects of the game over the next few decades of my supporting life nothing will stop me from supporting spurs players. And nothing will stop lower league fans either FFs.

Don't want a b team, don't want to be in Europa etc wahhhh. Do people not like football or something?

From a personal perspective, I think I would be more inclined to go watch my local 4th division team play Spurs B made up of aspiring youngsters, 1st teamer's recovering fitness after injury and 1st team squad players - than seeing Worksop Town or Harrogate Railway Club show up. The down side is that its a bit like the CL group stage failures drop down into the Europa cup, the competition was designed for the lower leagues participation.
I would have thought that there would be enough sponsors to come up with a cup for the clubs in the top 2 divisions to compete for. It would be a nice gesture if all the money generated went to football development as well, rather than straight back into the coffers of the participants. That way it would discourage teams from dropping the first teamers as their B side progressed through the competition

From a personal perspective, I think I would be more inclined to go watch my local 4th division team play Spurs B made up of aspiring youngsters, 1st teamer's recovering fitness after injury and 1st team squad players - than seeing Worksop Town or Harrogate Railway Club show up. The down side is that its a bit like the CL group stage failures drop down into the Europa cup, the competition was designed for the lower leagues participation.

You are overseas. You would give your left nut to watch some Spurs players you discuss on here. So would I, haha. It's so frustrating seeing people so willing not to watch our players regardless of status.

Back
Top Bottom