Starting to forget the feeling

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-cen...a-2000000037/news/newsid/200/925/7/index.html

Headline:

Modric blames poor pre-season for bad form

Fifa.

"It was a very demanding summer. I didn't have a pre-season and that has had an influence."
"I didn't know if I would be going to Real or not, which affected things and the whole team hasn't played like it did last season so this has also complicated things for me," Modric added. "But the squad have had a lot of patience with me"

"All I have to do is keep working hard every day to improve and things will get better."

He was playing well then. He was referring to his slow start. I've watched maybe 80% of Real's games since Luka has been there and he's been nothing short of excellent. Behind Ronaldo and Lopez, next name on the teamsheet.

I've been over this with him a few times... Modric quotes:

"Everyone says the Spanish league is a very technical league and I agree, but it is also very demanding on a physical level," he said.
"It was a very demanding summer. I didn't have a pre-season and that has had an influence."

Blatently talking about the 'physical level'. Up until the second half of the season I'm quite sure his appearances were mostly substitutions as he wasn't up to match fitness. This clarifies his fitness - he had no pre season.

You say that he was "explaining his bad form".

Absolutely no evidence in that article that he was talking about his form. I see a guy talking about his fitness and the team playing poorly.

I've watched maybe 80% of Real's games since Luka has been there and he's been nothing short of excellent. Behind Ronaldo and Lopez, next name on the teamsheet.

When that interview was taken in Feb, they were 16 points away from Barca. Before Bale signed, they were around 10 points behind Barca.

He did nothing for the team apart from his usual pass monkey routine and a shimmy here and there.

Of course he "looks" good doing it. But so do ball
jugglers. He made them weak, porous in between the keepie uppies.

Nobody was saying Ozil took ages to play well for the scum.

When that interview was taken in Feb, they were 16 points away from Barca. Before Bale signed, they were around 10 points behind Barca.

He did nothing for the team apart from his usual pass monkey routine and a shimmy here and there.

Absurd.

Of course he "looks" good doing it. But so do ball jugglers. He made them weak, porous in between the keepie uppies.

Considering its references, Wikipedia is more reliable and useful that you, so I'll let that argue against you:

note the bold bit, which explains the personal issues and fitness - not form..

Despite his positive debut, Modrić initially struggled to settle into the team under manager José Mourinho due to his lack of pre-season training which he missed as a result of his ongoing transfer negotiations. The presence of veteran midfielder Xabi Alonso and Sami Khedira in defensive midfield, and Mesut Özil in offensive midfield, usually kept him out of the starting lineup, limiting him to substitute appearances and mostly playing out of position for the first few months at the club.

He played his first UEFA Champions League game for Real Madrid in a group match against Manchester City on 18 September, which Madrid won 3–2.

On 3 November, Modrić scored his first goal for Real Madrid in the last minute of their 4–0 victory over Real Zaragoza in La Liga.

On November 17, Modrić assisted a Karim Benzema goal (which was eventually considered an own goal by Jon Aurtenetxe Borde) with a 50 meter cross-field pass. It was the first goal in a 5–1 victory over Athletic Bilbao.

His most notable game that year was on December 4, when with crossfield passes he assisted for the first two goals of Cristiano Ronaldo and José Callejón in a 4–1 victory over Ajax in the group stage of the Champions League.

Modrić started in Real Madrid's home game against their league rivals, Barcelona, on 2 March 2013. He assisted teammate, Sergio Ramos, from a corner kick to score the winning goal in the 82nd minute, giving Real victory in the El Clásico derby.

Three days later, on 5 March, Modrić came on as a second half substitute during the decisive Champions League knockout leg against 10 men Manchester United at Old Trafford. With Madrid behind by a goal, he levelled the game with a long-range shot 25-yards out and went on to play a key role in the rest of the game which Real Madrid won 2–1, advancing them to the quarter-finals 3–2 on aggregate.

On 16 March, he replicated this performance against Real Mallorca, giving Real Madrid the lead with a long range volley from 30 yards in a game which his team went on to win 5–2.

Modrić played as a starter in both Champions League semi-final games against Borussia Dortmund. In the first leg on April 24, he played in the attacking midfield position where he didn't manage to influence the game and eventually, the team lost 4–1, while on the April 30, in the second leg 2–0 victory, he played as the deep-lying playmaker providing passes for the attackers and creating several opportunities, being among the best rated players that night.

From March 2013, Modrić's form and influence in the midfield continued to grow, distinguishing himself as a player with most passes completed on his team.

On May 8, he assisted from the corner for the first goal, and scored the fourth goal in a 6–2 victory over CD Málaga.

This season:

In the defensive midfield, Modrić was mostly partnershiped along with Alonso, giving a team balance between defense and attack, with Modrić being a player with most completed passes, averaging an accuracy rate of 90% in La Liga

What was that about you defending Dembele for not scoring or assisting because he was being played in defensive midfield?

Modrić being a player with most completed passes, averaging an accuracy rate of 90% in La Liga

What was that about you defending Dembele for not scoring or assisting because he was being played in defensive midfield?

Oh thats nice dear. Dembele has a better passing average than that this season.

Also, he has had a third of the shots at goal Modric has had this season and scored the same amount.

I wonder if Dembele would have more assists with Bale, Ronaldo etc in the team? #nobrainer

Perhaps if Dembele was in their team they would not have been so piss poor in defense before Bale came eh? After all Dembele can do all that other shit in the boiler room that Modric can't. Basics like winning headers etc.

Oh thats nice dear. Dembele has a better passing average than that this season.

Also, he has had a third of the shots at goal Modric has had this season and scored the same amount.

I wonder if Dembele would have more assists with Bale, Ronaldo etc in the team? #nobrainer

Perhaps if Dembele was in their team they would not have been so piss poor in defense before Bale came eh? After all Dembele can do all that other shit in the boiler room that Modric can't. Basics like winning headers etc.

Merrydale.JPG

Rules of Gibbsy:

• If you are a Defensive Midfielder, you shouldn't be judged on goals & assists.

Unless you're Luka Modric, then you're shit

• If you're not at the height of your game in the first season, the manager is probably terrible and playing your out of position

• If you average 90% or more pass rate, you're amazing!

• One man doesn't make a team. If we play poorly, it's probably the English player's fault, not that one guy...

Oh and

• If you feel like you have lost the point and can't defend yourself on the above, just turn the debate into an absolute and defend your points by accusing the other person of calling a player shit when it's never been the topic or the point.

Rules of Gibbsy:

• If you are a Defensive Midfielder, you shouldn't be judged on goals & assists.

• If you're not at the height of your game in the first season, the manager is probably terrible and playing your out of position

• If you average 90% or more pass rate, you're amazing!

• One man doesn't make a team. If we play poorly, it's probably the English player's fault, not that one guy...

Oh and

• If you feel like you have lost the point and can't defend yourself on the above, just turn the debate into an absolute and defend your points by accusing the other person of calling a player shit when it's never been the topic or the point.

Blah blah blah. It would be lovely if you can point our where I call Modric shit. You just get more hysterical and shrill with every post.

Blah blah blah. It would be lovely if you can point our

where I call Modric shit. You just get more hysterical and shrill with every post.

I regret the moments I waste reading what comes from your mind, so I'm not going to revisit them, but posts like this, for example

or these

He's played much much better since bale arrived. Before that they were in a mini crisis. It took one forum who ragged on me a year and a half before they said I told you so regarding modrat and real. How can you fail with bale and Ronaldo next to you? They lost their title after modric signed. They had to sign the most expensive player in wold history to right their ship.
What do you think the snipers faces were like in the Modric/general football thread when he got voted worst signing and Real did not win a thing that season? After being champs previously? I suppose we can forget that all happened now that they signed a proper marquee player in Bale. You take Bale's 16 league games, 10 goals and 10 assists away and what would you have?

Hey...Perhaps that remedial training Modric had to do with the special one kicked in a year late?
Poor old Modders...Only 27,000 views for his vid? Speaks volumes. Bales vid has almost 2 million views. One was a marquee player, the other was a flop. Now the flop is reaping the rewards of a marquee player. He still only has 6 assists though in the league..How is that possible with Bale and Ronaldo in front of you?
It all adds up to a flashy little judas pass monkey who needs everything to be perfect to perform. And even then he's on 1 goal in the league...Pathetic. 30 shots! 1 goal. Classic gutless squib in the final third.

Imagine how many assists and goals that gooner Ozil would have with Bale and Ronaldo in the team.

That's just in this thread, never mind the 5 or more forums you have no doubt plagued with the thoughtless indictments (including the thread on SC)

Yeah...Modric the destroyer.

He's a midfield playmaker.

Who is and has been played in a defensive midfield position at Madrid. I wouldn't expect you to know any background behind anything you post, of course.

Who is and has been played in a defensive midfield position at Madrid. I wouldn't expect you to know any background behind anything you post, of course.

Thanks for pointing out I didn't call him shit. And if you think Modric has been played as a DM, that is like...Your opinion man.

Oh how I wish I had never said anything bad about AVB. You have chased me around this forum ever since. I bet you felt like a right tit when he got fired.

m0YvA.jpeg

Thanks for pointing out I didn't call him shit. And if you think Modric has been played as a DM, that is like...Your opinion man.

Oh how I wish I had never said anything bad about AVB. You have chased me around this forum ever since. I bet you felt like a right tit when he got fired.

m0YvA.jpeg
That is one disturbing picture. AVB and Redknapp better not have a child together for the child's sake

I'm quite sure it's Ancellotti's opinion, Bart Simpson. There's plenty of reference to him playing in Defensive Midfield, especially this season:

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/20874/Show/Luka-Modric

Also this lovely article, assuming you can read nice things about the guy without coming out in hives

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/luka-modric-midfield-magician-real-madrid/

All anyone needs to do is to type 'Gibbs131 modric' into google and you get nearly 5,000 posts, the majority (if not all) are you slagging the guy off over the last 4 years.

You call him a flop in 2010 and claim to be the champ for being, quote, "the ONLY ONE" who saw it... then when he did mature into a great player, you criticise him to the ends of the earth again..

then he moves to Madrid, you do it all over again in an effort to be right and spurt bile about the guy, in an effort again to be some sort of Mystic Meg of football, but it didn't take long for Modric to make you look silly again.

I had no objections about AVB getting the sack. You realise it's possible to not have to go to extremes and either slag a player or manager off, nor rave about him to the hilt? I respect the guy, more than can be said about your long list of hatred.

It's no coincidence that wherever you go, you seem to get banned and/or laughed off the forums. What is that telling you? You're quite the
narcissist for thinking someone would "chase" you round the forum...

The great thing about Modric is his ability to switch the play from defence to attack, can see it clearly in that video. There's not really anyone in the team at the moment who can do that in the same way.

It's a thankless role, being the catalyst in the team. The drawback of being that kind of player is that you provide the ball to the attack, so short of long ball play (not going to happen at spurs/madrid) he will never be near the eventual goal, but will have been the player that enabled the attack in the first place.

Shame that there's obviously people who give him stick and seem to be out on a witchhunt for him all this time. I like to see madrid do well purely because of Luka and Gareth - I'm proud that they were Spurs.

Wrong

Edit: also, how do you explain our excellent form when he was out for three months one season, and two in another?

A manager that adapted the squad at his disposal, and players that wanted to be here and play perhaps?

just because we played well when he wasn't in the side doesn't mean that his impact was negligible.
Not really sure why harry redknapp (and i suppose by implication avb and sherwood) have anything to do with the discussion about how good modric is/was?

Also, to my point about watching him live. How many games did you attend when modric played. I'm guessing very few given that you live in Sweden

Back
Top Bottom