Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really not impressed with the selection or set up again.

Absolutely delighted with the result. 6 points off top at Christmas? Great position.

Once again we had virtually no defensive awareness through the team, leaving the back 5 badly exposed. SCBC are in a poor run of form and still put two past us and looked liked cutting through our team at will. Better teams will severely punish us if we continue like this.

Adebayor was sensational.

I thought we started like it was a playground game, lots of running and intent but little coherence and quality. That did improve over the game, and I think goes to show AVB was the sticking point with our attack. By the end things looked pretty good in an attacking capacity.

Sherwood is gambling wildly with us at the moment IMO, throwing caution to the wind and its a dangerous game to play. Throwing Bentaleb on for example, what the hell was that? Credit to the lad he did very well, but with Capoue and Holtby on the bench (should have started IMO) it was a bizarre decision.

It was better than West Ham, but equally concerning in some respects.

Some of you are delighted to have "old Spurs" back. Im not. While I enjoyed scoring 3 goals and going at the opponent I did not like having my heart in my mouth everytime they got the ball, just as I did not like having zero faith in our defense, our capacity to hold the ball or close the game out. This was mid 90s Spurs, where we were essentially shit but had a decent attack and so our only hope was to outscore the other team and to hell with the rest.

What's this based on? A few good Europa games and half a season at QPR?

I won't try to defend it rationally since I'm driving the Tom Carroll bandwagon like a maniac but he's never had a bad performance for us. I love that he always try to play a forward pass and doesn't settle for anything easy.

He is the most natural passer in our side and I just love watching him play. I have a real belief in him. It's not necessarily rational but I really think he as a future as a difference maker. He's also been superb for the u21 English teams and outperformed many other "big name" youngsters.

While I enjoyed scoring 3 goals and going at the opponent I did not like having my heart in my mouth everytime they got the ball, just as I did not like having zero faith in our defense, our capacity to hold the ball or close the game out.

To be fair, this happened quite often while AVB was in charge. Maybe we didn't look as shaky in defence as we did today, but we still conceded silly goals under AVB.

Really not impressed with the selection or set up again.

Absolutely delighted with the result. 6 points off top at Christmas? Great position.

Once again we had virtually no defensive awareness through the team, leaving the back 5 badly exposed. SCBC are in a poor run of form and still put two past us and looked liked cutting through our team at will. Better teams will severely punish us if we continue like this.

Adebayor was sensational.

I thought we started like it was a playground game, lots of running and intent but little coherence and quality. That did improve over the game, and I think goes to show AVB was the sticking point with our attack. By the end things looked pretty good in an attacking capacity.

Sherwood is gambling wildly with us at the moment IMO, throwing caution to the wind and its a dangerous game to play. Throwing Bentaleb on for example, what the hell was that? Credit to the lad he did very well, but with Capoue and Holtby on the bench (should have started IMO) it was a bizarre decision.

It was better than West Ham, but equally concerning in some respects.

Some of you are delighted to have "old Spurs" back. Im not. While I enjoyed scoring 3 goals and going at the opponent I did not like having my heart in my mouth everytime they got the ball, just as I did not like having zero faith in our defense, our capacity to hold the ball or close the game out. This was mid 90s Spurs, where we were essentially shit but had a decent attack and so our only hope was to outscore the other team and to hell with the rest.
get your cock out of AVB's arse ffs. So much bullshit in this post I can't actually be bothered to reply properly.

One thing I will say though is he brought Bentaleb on because he doesn't know Capoue so it would have been more of a risk bringing him on than Bentaleb in his mind.

Sometimes you have to take a bit of a gamble Lister, this was the right time to do so and it deservedly paid off.

That wasnt "a bit" of a gamble for me, that was "to hell with it" gambling. The sort of thing relegation threatened Wigan did when they went 343 and hell for leather attacking in an attempt to stay up. We are in the running for CL, we shouldnt be so desperate.

If did pay off. Im not sure deservedly so, but Im grateful none the less.

Southampton had more possession than us, more shots and more attempts on target - despite being decidedly off colour they could have won. Try that against Liverpool and it wouldnt be "Sherwood the genuis" it would be "My god Sherwood actually did worse than AVB!"

To be fair, this happened quite often while AVB was in charge. Maybe we didn't look as shaky in defence as we did today, but we still conceded silly goals under AVB.

Of course we did, and at times we also collapsed, but I never felt so nervous everytime the other team got the ball and I was always pretty confident of us holding onto a lead

get your cock out of AVB's arse ffs. So much bullshit in this post I can't actually be bothered to reply properly.

One thing I will say though is he brought Bentaleb on because he doesn't know Capoue so it would have been more of a risk bringing him on than Bentaleb in his mind.

Ha! How very grown up of you.

My cock is not in AVBs ass. AVB isnt manager anymore, Ive no reason to support him.

And Bentaleb being less of a risk because the guy running the team isnt aware of our French international DM (whom he played on Wednesday)? Do me a favour!

Had AVB done that people would have gone totally mental! Had Harry as well. Full internationals on the bench overlooked for a kids debut away from home replacing the only CM we have on the pitch...

My cock is not in AVBs ass. AVB isnt manager anymore, Ive no reason to support him.

And Bentaleb being less of a risk because the guy running the team isnt aware of our French international DM (whom he played on Wednesday)? Do me a favour!

Had AVB done that people would have gone totally mental! Had Harry as well. Full internationals on the bench overlooked for a kids debut away from home replacing the only CM we have on the pitch...
But it worked didn't it? So what is there to complain about??

Of course we did, and at times we also collapsed, but I never felt so nervous everytime the other team got the ball and I was always pretty confident of us holding onto a lead
That is true. However, today i felt more confident about us scoring than i did under AVB. Not trying to praise Sherwood in any way, but our football looked less... congested.

That wasnt "a bit" of a gamble for me, that was "to hell with it" gambling. The sort of thing relegation threatened Wigan did when they went 343 and hell for leather attacking in an attempt to stay up. We are in the running for CL, we shouldnt be so desperate.

If did pay off. Im not sure deservedly so, but Im grateful none the less.

Southampton had more possession than us, more shots and more attempts on target - despite being decidedly off colour they could have won. Try that against Liverpool and it wouldnt be "Sherwood the genuis" it would be "My god Sherwood actually did worse than AVB!"

Of course there are times to play that side and there are times not to.
Soton were rocked with injuries at the back so it was the right decision in my book.
a Couple of tweaks to that starting 11 and we could have ourselves a very good settled team..
It was all these changes from the previous manager that never allowed the team to settle..We'd win one game and the following game he'd make 4 or 5 changes. We never knew our best team..Hopefully we could build on this.
That's of course if Sherwood is given the job until the end of the season.

But it worked didn't it? So what is there to complain about??

It was a gamble. It was reckless - that was the point I made. It worked for him this time but that doesnt make it suddenly understandable. I cannot see why Bentaleb and not Holtby, at all. I think it was a big risk.

Why Defoe came on for Soldado I'll never understand. Could've easily conceded a third and a midfielder
should have been brought on. Holtby or Capoue.
:paulinhofacepalm:

That is true. However, today i felt more confident about us scoring than i did under AVB. Not trying to praise Sherwood in any way, but our football looked less... congested.

Absolutely, we looked more dangerous as the game went on.

Early I wasnt too impressed, but through the second half our attack started looking really potent.

My fear at this point is he has gone too far "the other way" and by hell for leather attacking is going to shaft is defensively. Im convinced SCBC on form would have destroyed us we left it so open...

I could be grown up but I've seen so much bullshit posted from plenty of people about Sherwood these last few days I just can't be bothered any more.

TS said that himself in the post-match interview! That's not just my thoughts on it.

& AVB would not have got slated for that line up, maybe the substitution but he doesn't know the youth as well as TS so it's understandable. He might have won a few people over if he went for it.

Of course there are times to play that side and there are times not to.
Soton were rocked with injuries at the back so it was the right decision in my book.
a Couple of tweaks to that starting 11 and we could have ourselves a very good settled team..
It was all these changes from the previous manager that never allowed the team to settle..We'd win one game and the following game he'd make 4 or 5 changes. We never knew our best team..Hopefully we could build on this.
That's of course if Sherwood is given the job until the end of the season.

But Sherwood doesn't want the job until the end of the season. As far as I am aware Tim has said he wants to be 1st team manager with a 10 year contract...or nothing.

I just wonder how Levy will react to a demand like that.

Back
Top Bottom