Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we play exactly how we played today, but swap Dembele for Sandro, and Vertonghen for Dawson (and maybe start Chadli/Lennon over Sigurdsson, but this is debatable because they play on different sides), I am genuinely excited.

With our centre backs I see it as we have two 'old fashioned' ones in Dawson and Kaboul, plus two modern ones in Chiriches and Vertonghen. I also think it's best to have one of each, unless we're playing a poor team and could get away with Vertonghen and Chiriches.

And not sure what to make of those tactics today

Tricky away fixture with no CDM

A 442 with inverted wingers

Not sure if I would roll with that again away from the Lane.

Either way, sometimes it simply comes down to the quality of the players on the pitch and their will to win. Today was surely one of those occassions

Frankly AVB and Pochettino are quite similar. Southampton had more possession today, used a high line and just like you said, did not seem to have a plan B. I thought Pochettino could be a decent option for our bench, but i don't think i want him anymore
Also had injuries to his defence to deal with - gets on well with his chairman though and won't get the sack after one bad patch. To be fair, the game could have gone either way in the end, and Southampton put some good moves together. Their second goal was fantastic for example. They got a bit flustered towards the end and Sherwood has magicly increased our fitness levels since Wednesday, which is a miracle :troll:

I loved the goals today, and I hope we score a load more, but I also hope we can retain some of the control we had for most of the time with AVB.

Good news.

Undoubtedly just a minor bruise, but given having only two in the middle it was a very wise decision of Dembele to motion to come off.

Bentaleb looked nervous (understandably so), but damn does that lad have a crisp and accurate pass. Performed well in a very nervy situation.

Holtby LM? :avbnaa:

I know Sigurdsson isn't exactly playing wide, but Holtby would take away any of the width whatsoever we have out there.

I hope we play our 4-4-2 like City does. Not with out and out wingers but with creative floaters like Silva and Nasri. Surely Holtby could succeed in a spot like that.

I hope we play our 4-4-2 like City does. Not with out and out wingers but with creative floaters like Silva and Nasri. Surely Holtby could succeed in a spot like that.
IMO, to do that, you do need genuinely world class creators. Maybe we could have that in Eriksen and Lamela in the future (they're both still 21 believe it or not! Feels like they should be much older), but at the moment I feel like our best chance of getting through defences is using the full width of the pitch and getting crosses in.

I completely respect your opinion, and it's not wrong at all, it's just two people suggesting different tactics.

IMO, to do that, you do need genuinely world class creators. Maybe we could have that in Eriksen and Lamela in the future (they're both still 21 believe it or not! Feels like they should be much older), but at the moment I feel like our best chance of getting through defences is using the full width of the pitch and getting crosses in.

I completely respect your opinion, and it's not wrong at all, it's just two people suggesting different tactics.
I think one of each is the best option for now. Chadli/Lennon/Townsend one side and Lamela/Sigurdsson the other.

I think that was somewhat the logic with playing both Lamela and Siggurdson, two players with experience at the professional level of playing centrally.

I agree completely. They aren't ready to seamlessly fill into that position but it is what we should be working towards IMO if 4-4-2 is our chosen formation. My dream formation would be:
Lloris
Walker Chiriches Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Tom Carroll
Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor Soldado

I love Tommy Carroll probably to a fault but I really think he's the deep lying playmaker we've been missing. I also wouldn't mind Chadli playing the slightly withdrawn striker like Ade played today. I think he could excel there backing up Ade. We need 4 strikers in the squad if we're going to play two strikers every game. Need depth.

I agree completely. They aren't ready to seamlessly fill into that position but it is what we should be working towards IMO if 4-4-2 is our chosen formation. My dream formation would be:
Lloris
Walker Chiriches Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Tom Carroll
Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor Soldado

I love Tommy Carroll probably to a fault but I really think he's the deep lying playmaker we've been missing. I also wouldn't mind Chadli playing the slightly withdrawn striker like Ade played today. I think he could excel there backing up Ade. We need 4 strikers in the squad if we're going to play two strikers every game. Need depth.
4-3-2-2. Hmmm...

I think that was somewhat the logic with playing both Lamela and Siggurdson, two players with experience at the professional level of playing centrally.

I agree. Eriksen too. I felt much better about the 4-4-2 today. I didn't like the speculative crossing tactic on Wednesday with the two wingers. Especially when playing Defoe up top.

Then you can use Townsend and Lennon as change of pace players like City uses Navas.

Back
Top Bottom