Chelsea vs Tottenham. Thursday the 2nd of May. 19:30 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think our recent results will obviously bleed into our fucked offedness after this one, but once again, I think with better forwards and better defending of two set pieces, we would/could/should have got a bit more more out of this game.

We probably deserved to be behind first half, but unlike v Arse on Sunday, we actually played much better second half, were dominating the ball, pushing them back into their third, trying to build some pressure, but then conceded another fucking farcical goal to kill us. Kulusevski with another stupid foul, and then Son and Hoybadinkbedonkbedonk showing what an utter pair of fucking useless clowns they are. Both deciding to challenge each other instead of Jackson.

The decision to play Kulusevski in midfield was daft enough on its own, but doing it when Emerson is starting as an out of position LB was really not the smartest decision. First half only Son and Richarlison saw less of the ball. Kulusevski received the ball as many times in 96 minutes as Maddison did in 45 against Woolwich. And did absolutely fuck all when he did.

Here's our pass map, which shows just how much our play was stunted down that left side:

As ever we had some decent situations that were spunked by forwards, even the pre situation situations were mostly spunked. Son was awful again, Johnson got in a few decent positions on the right but with largely predictable outcomes.

Then Ange's subs just made things worse. Kulusevski and Sarr for Maddison and Lo Celso would have made sense. For some bizarre reason he changed the two positions that least effected the game and effectively weakened four positions instead of strengthening two. We now had Son in the worse remit of CF, Johnson where he's weakest on the left, Kulusevski right where he's less effective than Johnson creatively and Pierre the tank as the 6.

Two set pieces did us again. Neither were well defended. You could say the first was just one of those things maybe, but the second was just cluster fuckwit central. Kulusevski having just killed an attack with. stupid foul, commits another on the edge of our box trying to tackle with the wrong foot. From the kick off the bar, Son and Hojbjerg then decide to fuck about with each other rather than either of them just challenge for the fucking header.

In a way I think the first ten games created a bit of a rod for Postecoglou's back. It raised expectations way too high with the fan base. Before the season, with the cards he was dealt, I think 5th, trying to play some proactive football would have been the best we could have realistically hoped for. Now 5th or 6th is feeling like abject failure.

I have had doubts about whether Ange was the messiah for a while, I was one of the first to post about the back door issues we were having while most were still singing the Ange song. But I'm going to be honest, I'm not incandescent with rage either. If we finish next season defending like clowns and attacking with the same bumbling duds, I think my patience will have worn pretty fucking thin. But generally speaking I'd rather watch us fail trying to play some football than fail sitting on the parked bus. Other opinions definitely available.

Last edited:
The main problems are a system that leaves us too open at the back, naievity, poor coaching , loss of form, no direction, and once

What has Son done in his best position? He’s rubbish as centre forward.
Can't say 16 goal scorer is rubbish as CF.. but he is limited in terms of what he can offer there against certain teams/style f play.

He is a type of player who needs a creator like Kane or Eriksen to set him up going forward. Maddison did that early this season but has gone MIA since injury. He has been dropping deep in recent games and he creates a lot for his teammates but none of them are clinical in front of goal like he is.

Remember, all he needs is 2 or 3 chance at goal.

This ange-ball hype should be given the flick.

Have you noticed all the players are engrossed with passing. Even when they are in the box- they are still looking to offload. ..is this ange-ball in essence?

The only players who makes a quick long pass to move on the transition is VDV. But from thereon it slowed again.

No one is deploying lay-offs for another to shoot once there are near the opp goal. Instinctively they will opt to pass. case-in-point - could BJ shoot when he was on the left-side 15m out - instead he tried to lay it for Emerson to walk it in from 1m.

It's the same tactic match-in/Out. So therefore they must have been training hard for this method.
This shit slow ball movement plus congestion is why Son is in-effective.

In a way I think the first ten games created a bit of a rod for Postecoglou's back. It raised expectations way too high with the fan base. Before the season, with the cards he was dealt, I don't think 5th, trying to play some practice football would have been the best we could have realistically hoped for. Now 5th or 6th is feeling like abject failure.
This. We saw what could happen under 'angeball' and came to expect that every game. Which given how we were for those first 10 games is completely fair. We have definitely regressed more to the mean on the last 2/3rds of the season, for many reasons. Tactics, players coming back from injury and not playing anywhere near the level they were before, games every 2 weeks and a lack of fluidity.

We are the most brainless team EVER. we can't defend set pieces for toffee, so what do we do? Keep giving away set pieces every game.
Surely someone can fucking see that we need to improve on set pieces or at least don't give free kicks or corners away unnecessarily.

What the fuck is the manager seeing that allows this to continue and allows us to keep losing fuckin games.
He's only got one way to play. We've been sussed. Simple as....

I think our recent results will obviously bleed into our fucked offedness after this one, but once again, I think with better forwards and better defending of two set pieces, we would/could/should have got a bit more more out of this game.

I’m pro keeping Ange for the foreseeable (managerial merry go round needs to end) but the whole better forwards thing is becoming a bit repetitive.

Ange by all accounts wanted Johnson. 45 million on him. Apparently he is/was a big fan of Kulusevski. The forward who carried us from a production standpoint has hit a wall.

He also was huge on spending another 40 odd on Maddison. 100 odd million on attack minded players in the summer.

If our forwards are crap, the guy at the helm isn’t blameless. As for set pieces, the fucker has had a season to coach us. Just defending them better isn’t simple or he’d have done it already.

Maybe he isn't good enough in training? Who knows.

Again, Paratici has been scouting Johnson for years dating back to Forest being in the Championship. That is as much of his signing and scouting as Ange agreeing to it.
Paratici has really damaged this club with his dodgy deals. Money under the table from both Spurs and Juve. Landed us with kulu, a juve reject..
We know he's a crook because he was banned. No question there. And he landed us with Johnson. Bet there was something dodgy there too.
The bloke is a crook and shouldn't be anywhere near this club!

Box to box we are not bad but we have nothing creative and never look a threat whether it’s against a team sitting in or even like against Chelsea at times tonight when they are quite open. We have front players that are not good enough and can’t play in any system by the looks of them. The decision making is absolutely horrific by these front players. We also don’t have anyone that can open the game up with a pass or beat a man apart from madders and he’s miles off it too. The confidence is shot to fuck and this will get worse in the next two games and then we’ll see the season out with two wins.

Just heard Ange’s interview and he’s fucking raging and you can tell by that interview that he’s going to be demanding better players. I don’t think he trusts what he has to make us better.

The sad part is he won’t get anywhere near the quality needed.
Well if he wants Gallagher and Kelly doesn't that rather show that he hasn't got a clue what he needs...?

I’m pro keeping Ange for the foreseeable (managerial merry go round needs to end) but the whole better forwards thing is becoming a bit repetitive.

Ange by all accounts wanted Johnson. 45 million on him. Apparently he is/was a big fan of Kulusevski. The forward who carried us from a production standpoint has hit a wall.

He also was huge on spending another 40 odd on Maddison. 100 odd million on attack minded players in the summer.

If our forwards are crap, the guy at the helm isn’t blameless. As for set pieces, the fucker has had a season to coach us. Just defending them better isn’t simple or he’d have done it already.

Agreed. Theres no way id trust him with another 150m

Also, he hasnt mentioned defending once. What we need to do right now is stop conceding and keep a clean sheet

But none the less true, so what else can we say?

I don't know whether Ange wanted Johnson or not. He's not fucking good enough. If Ange really wanted him - like wanted wanted him - then he deserved criticism.

He also was huge on spending another 40 odd on Maddison.

I wasn't as over enthused about this one either, but in the grand scheme of things this wasn't the worst way we've pissed money away.

100 odd million on attack minded players in the summer.

If our forwards are crap,

which is why I can't stop saying it.

the guy at the helm isn’t blameless.

Agree

As for set pieces, the fucker has had a season to coach us. Just defending them better isn’t simple or he’d have done it already.

I didn't excuse Ange for our defending. I was one of the first to call it out. And not just the set piece stuff (though I'd also like to have seen players like Romero and Vicario sorting some of this shit out on the pitch as well). I also think we've got some defenders who aren't actually brilliant defenders (Udogie, Porro, VDV).

We didn’t spend 40m, let alone 60M. M U G
Tottenham Signs Richarlison From Everton in Club-Record Deal to Bolster Attack. Tottenham has reportedly broken its club record transfer fee with a £60 million ($72.6 million) move for Everton forward Richarlison. The club announced a five-year deal for the Brazilian on Friday, subject to a work permit.Jul 1, 2022

M U G

Last edited:

We probably deserved to be behind first half, but unlike v Arse on Sunday, we actually played much better second half, were dominating the ball, pushing them back into their third, trying to build some pressure, but then conceded another fucking farcical goal to kill us. Kulusevski with another stupid foul, and then Son and Hoybadinkbedonkbedonk showing what an utter pair of fucking useless clowns they are. Both deciding to challenge each other instead of Jackson.

The decision to play Kulusevski in midfield was daft enough on its own, but doing it when Emerson is starting as an out of position LB was really not the smartest decision. First half only Son and Richarlison saw less of the ball. Kulusevski received the ball as many times in 96 minutes as Maddison did in 45 against Woolwich. And did absolutely fuck all when he did.

Here's our pass map, which shows just how much our play was stunted down that left side:

As ever we had some decent situations that were spunked by forwards, even the pre situation situations were mostly spunked. Son was awful again, Johnson got in a few decent positions one the right but with largely predictable outcomes.

Then Ange's subs just made things worse. Kulusevski and Sarr for Maddison and Lo Celso would have made sense. For some bizarre reason he changed the two positions that least effected the game and effectively weakened four positions instead of strengthening two. We now had Son in the worse remit of CF, Johnson where he's weakest on the left, Kulusevski right where he's less effective than Johnson creatively and Pierre the tank as the 6.

Two set pieces did us again. Neither were well defended. You could say the first was just one of those things maybe, but the second was just cluster fuckwit central. Kulusevski having just killed an attack with. stupid foul, commits another on the edge of our box trying to tackle with the wrong foot. From the kick off the bar, Son and Hojbjerg then decide to fuck about with each other rather than either of them just challenge for the fucking header.

In a way I think the first ten games created a bit of a rod for Postecoglou's back. It raised expectations way too high with the fan base. Before the season, with the cards he was dealt, I don't think 5th, trying to play some practice football would have been the best we could have realistically hoped for. Now 5th or 6th is feeling like abject failure.

I have had doubts about whether Ange was the messiah for a while, I was one of the first to post about the back door issues we were having while most were still singing the Ange song. But I'm going to be honest, I'm not incandescent with rage either. If we finish next season defending like clowns and attacking with the same bumbling duds, I think my patience will have worn pretty fucking thin. But generally speaking I'd rather watch us fail trying to play some football than fail sitting on the parked bus. Other opinions definitely available.
Agree on the subs especially.

Kulu had to be hooked for Mad at the very least - how he played him the full 90 was myopic in the extreme because he was fucking terrible.

Biss was our best player and taking him out for PEH was completely unnecessary and took us backwards.

Shifting Johnson over to the left killed his (limited) effectiveness and then he hooked him for the even less effective Gil whilst leaving Kulu on.....just madness.

I'm not for sacking Ange and I remember some real piss poor stuff from Poch in his first season (the 3-0 loss to United was diabolical) but this shit has to improve if he's gonna last any length of time and be even vaguely successful.

The forwards (Son, Johnson, Richy and especially Kulu) and fullbacks were shit tonight so he changed the midfield. Lost us momentum and the game ultimately. The penny needs to drop and fast.

Tottenham Signs Richarlison From Everton in Club-Record Deal to Bolster Attack. Tottenham has reportedly broken its club record transfer fee with a £60 million ($72.6 million) move for Everton forward Richarlison. The club announced a five-year deal for the Brazilian on Friday, subject to a work permit.Jul 1, 2022
Thank Conte for that.

Richy at least works hard even if his confidence might never return.

But none the less true, so what else can we say?

I don't know whether Ange wanted Johnson or not. He's not fucking good enough. If Ange really wanted him - like wanted wanted him - then he deserved criticism.

I wasn't as over enthused about this one either, but in the grand scheme of things this wasn't the worst way we've pissed money away.

which is why I can't stop saying it.

Agree

I didn't excuse Ange for our defending. I was one of the first to call it out. And not just the set piece stuff (though I'd also like to have seen players like Romero and Vicario sorting some of this shit out on the pitch as well). I also think we've got some defenders who aren't actually brilliant defenders (Udogie, Porro, VDV).

I just think it’s a bit of a cop-out. It would make more sense to me if we hadn’t invested in the summer. The forward(s) Ange wanted suck. Sure if we had Foden or Saka and Gordon or Isak in the team we’d be better. But Ange is meant to be a wonderful coach for attacking play, but have any of our forwards improved at all? We’d have to go out in the window and bring in more attackers to fix this issue and another Johnson seems more likely than hitting the jackpot.

Ultimately I think you’re valuing possession and certain other metrics too much. Teams are playing on us so easily. We’ve become a fucking victim. Injury crisis Newcastle picked us apart at will, Woolwich were 3-0 up at the Lane at HT and a Chelsea team with no defence left cruised. We’ve scored two goals (pen and mistake) in three matches. Our forwards aren’t THAT bad.

We’re going to get fucking bullied by Liverpool as well. Face to the dirt. We may have 60% of the ball and field tilt there too but they’ll finger blast us in all the areas of the pitch which lead to goals.

We’re just embarrassing at the moment. Unthreatening and so easy to expose. The weaknesses are so glaring that teams are just watching us implode and laughing. I’ve never seen a Spurs team so easy to beat with basic shithousery and league one level tactics.

Again, keep Ange. We need continuity and he establishes some fundamentals which yeah, I like. But fuuuuck are we bad at the moment. It takes some doing to make this Chelsea side with those missing players look highly competent. Even United didn’t manage to achieve that marvellous fucking feat, that was an equal opportunity shit off.

I just think it’s a bit of a cop-out. It would make more sense to me if we hadn’t invested in the summer. The forward(s) Ange wanted suck. Sure if we had Foden or Saka and Gordon or Isak in the team we’d be better. But Ange is meant to be a wonderful coach for attacking play, but have any of our forwards improved at all? We’d have to go out in the window and bring in more attackers to fix this issue and another Johnson seems more likely than hitting the jackpot.

Ultimately I think you’re valuing possession and certain other metrics too much. Teams are playing on us so easily. We’ve become a fucking victim. Injury crisis Newcastle picked us apart at will, Woolwich were 3-0 up at the Lane at HT and a Chelsea team with no defence left cruised. We’ve scored two goals (pen and mistake) in three matches. Our forwards aren’t THAT bad.

We’re going to get fucking bullied by Liverpool as well. Face to the dirt. We may have 60% of the ball and field tilt there too but they’ll finger blast us in all the areas of the pitch which lead to goals.

We’re just embarrassing at the moment. Unthreatening and so easy to expose. The weaknesses are so glaring that teams are just watching us implode and laughing. I’ve never seen a Spurs team so easy to beat with basic shithousery and league one level tactics.

Again, keep Ange. We need continuity and he establishes some fundamentals which yeah, I like. But fuuuuck are we bad at the moment. It takes some doing to make this Chelsea side with those missing players look highly competent. Even United didn’t manage to achieve that marvellous fucking feat, that was an equal opportunity shit off.

Well...err yeah...that's pretty much what I said. Some fundamentals I like, but as I said, some of the fundamentals I don’t. if we are still watching the same kind of flaws not improving next season, then we can question wether some of the fundamental flaws are endemic and what we do about that (ie Ange goes).

Last edited:
Front 3 was gash yet again and need to be replaced. A lot of limitations in that combination. Not to mention Sarr and Deki both having nights to forget.

Son needs to be rotated out of the side with a quality LW next season and sold in 2025. Wonderful club ambassador and servant, but not the captain I want to see on the pitch moving forward.
Richy is a limited footballer but offers a different skillset - good offers aside, keep, rotate and sell in 2025.
Johnson looks a squad player. Keep and rotate in European/cup comps.

Sell Deki, PEH and Royal in the summer. Replace with a quality 6, Eze and academy player/s.

Not AngeOut (yet) but his stroppy and stubborn demeanour aren't doing any favours.

Back
Top Bottom