Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. Feels like football in general now. Even the WC was fairly low standard. & Argentina could have just as easily gone out in the QF as win it. Don’t know if the middling teams are a lot better now so it’s stronger in that sense. But the teams at the top internationally & club wise aren’t as good as they used to be or as stand out.

Football is lacking superstar players but I think that’s very much a consequence of the shift towards preferring athletes who are willing to sacrifice for the team more than ever, rather than the love of the individuals and entertainers the game had before.

Sport now is more heavily analysed and more tactical than ever and teams are much, much stricter. There’s lots of very good footballers and a much shorter list of genuine superstars.

Madrid’s spell over the CL absolutely had an element of pedigree to it. Whether that’s experience, confidence in the shirt, or the opposition fearing them. It’s not that definable (nobody is talking oonagi) but teams who are more experienced at knock-out European ties develop a feel for it.

We had to ride that wave when we first hit the CL as well. Chelsea’s best sides never crossed the line until the veteran team managed to fluke it.

Teams like Liverpool have undeniable self-belief at Anfield in CL ties. Whether the aura is bullshit or not, the players believe it. I don’t think Woolwich players feel the same and not do players or other very good teams like Napoli. This Woolwich team is very good but the players & coaches have next to zero top level experience in knock-out ties. It’s a different beast.

Psychology is actually really important in sport and lots of good work has been published on this. The psychology of navigating European ties and still having belief when you’re in inevitable sticky situations exists. City taking so long to break that barrier is further proof of that, teams tend to do it in stages.

But that’s just football/sport etc. Of course psychology is important, but having a great team is part of that. And that’s what wins games whether it’s the CL, League, cups etc. It’s talent, mentality (players/coaches) and of course a tiny bit of rub.

Ignore him. He is the guy that wants owners who make us losers with no success & in arsenals shadows in trophies & title fights.. We can’t compete or should expect to compete with Woolwich for titles is the cry!
Exactly what you'd expect of a gooner, ironically. ....And yet he accuses other long standing forum members of being gooners for craving success

Interesting :sonhmm:

England in a bit of a play off with Germany ATM, would be good if West Ham can get past Freiburg.
Hey, Billy Bob mate Billy Bob mate

Looks like we have a Pikey Spammer invading the forum!!!!!

kscvL0.gif

You called him out yet, matey? :coys:

Yep. Feels like football in general now. Even the WC was fairly low standard. & Argentina could have just as easily gone out in the QF as win it. Don’t know if the middling teams are a lot better now so it’s stronger in that sense. But the teams at the top internationally & club wise aren’t as good as they used to be or as stand out.

Tactically, football has never been better and the richer teams just can’t show up like Harlem Globetrotters any more.

Deuterz Deuterz was right in his post above. Coaches are much more reluctant to tolerate or integrate players who aren’t tactically and athletically capable. They can’t afford to any more because the (tactical) standard is generally so much higher now across the board.

Personally, I like it. I like watching talented players, but I really like it when a group achieves things through good coaching and collective tactical excellence. (And I don’t mean a bus park).

Last edited:
Exactly what you'd expect of a gooner, ironically. ....And yet he accuses other long standing forum members of being gooners for craving success

Interesting :sonhmm:
Yep. Gooners are loving levy & enic keeping us in our place. We are a joke to clubs in terms of the empty trophy cabinet.
I getting not having a strong opinion either way. But really wanting owners who are known for their lack of silverware is puzzling.

Football is lacking superstar players but I think that’s very much a consequence of the shift towards preferring athletes who are willing to sacrifice for the team more than ever, rather than the love of the individuals and entertainers the game had before.

Sport now is more heavily analysed and more tactical than ever and teams are much, much stricter. There’s lots of very good footballers and a much shorter list of genuine superstars.

Tactically, football has never been better and the richer teams just can’t show up like Harlem Globetrotters any more.

Deuterz Deuterz was right in his post above. Coaches are much more reluctant to tolerate or integrate players who aren’t tactically and athletically capable. They can’t afford to any more because the (tactical) standard is generally so much higher now across the board.

Personally, I like it. I like watching talented players, but I really like it when a group achieves things through good coaching and collective tactical excellence. (And I don’t mean a bus park).
All very true. It’s More of a team game now. Not many iconic superstars anymore, instead better rounded teams. Even psg are moving away from relying on a few stars to more team players & good athletes. & yes, most managers want to shift players who get too big for their boots & don't put the hard yards in. Less teams wanting those types, so it has become harder to shift them out too. Many top players back in the day would be seen as luxury players now. Players like Ozil seemed to be caught in the middle of that transformation.
It has become a science & very data heavy. I do like a bit of that, but I do miss the off the cuff superstar magic. But this is the way of most sports now. & that trend will continue.

We will never know but I do think peak fergie teams, Mourinho’s Chelsea, wengers Woolwich etc would walk this years league & last seasons. So in that sense I feel the standard at the top is lower but the middling teams is higher. & I also think the best WC teams were usually much better than the best in the last WC. But it could just be me doing that thing people do when they get older…. looking back & saying “how it was much better back in my day”!

Back
Top Bottom