Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve already countered like … all of these points. I’m not doing it again only for ‘tactical masterclass’ to be quoted out of context. Boring as fuck.

I liked the bit where you think Emery, a four time EL winner known mainly for his tactical nous, totally just fell for a sky sports narrative. As if that guy wouldn’t bother to do his own analysis, lmao.
Ok.

You haven't counted one single point I've made, but ok.

I'll concede that Emery did his own analysis, which actually makes it worse as his analysis appears to have reached the same conclusion as the Sky sports narrative.

Whatever way you cut it, he fucked up.

Therefore, your original contention, that Emery's tactics were better than Postecoglou's, is...

Wrong.

When you're schooled in your own backyard for better than 2 thirds of the entire game, claiming the tactics were right, and better than those of your opponent...

That there is far closer to RAWK levels than any accusation you have made.

Therefore, your original contention, that Emery's tactics were better than Postecoglou's, is...

Wrong.

You see? Comprehension.

What I actually wrote is that Emery is a better tactician than Ange. Not that his tactics on the day were better.

I can’t argue against points you’ve invented. So you can continue winning imaginary arguments and give yourself a nice pat on the back for it, but I’m not interested.

View: https://x.com/nathanaclark/status/1767164705775214994?s=46&t=IomICbZIqZC4FsH907qgfw

I love the smell of pressing intensity in the morning.

robert duvall victory GIF

How do we read the Villa xG line? That they were as likely to get goals late in the second half as Spurs were when 2-0 up? No need to answer btw.

Ok.

You haven't counted one single point I've made, but ok.

I'll concede that Emery did his own analysis, which actually makes it worse as his analysis appears to have reached the same conclusion as the Sky sports narrative.

Whatever way you cut it, he fucked up.

Wrong.

When you're schooled in your own backyard for better than 2 thirds of the entire game, claiming the tactics were right, and better than those of your opponent...

That there is far closer to RAWK levels than any accusation you have made.

I haven’t read the whole debate, but I have seen Deuterz Deuterz getting shit for his opinion that Emery’s tactics were sound.

If you look at the XG time line, it kind of half supports that. Emery is a tactician, he adapted to nullify us, knowing we play a high line too and they have decent forward players who could exploit that.

But the other half of the story is, you cede control, and if you don’t press aggressively and collectively well, and you are also laying a high line you also stand a chance of getting broken (see our first goal).

I disagree with Deuterz Deuterz in that this just came down to superior players, especially forward players. I think you can see we pressed and controlled the game without the ball better than they did, and once we broke them once, their tactics were spent and they had to change a bunch of personnel and tactics, whereas ours remained consistent and efficient. They now had to come out and make the pitch bigger, and we had more room.

I also thought their chances first half mostly came from our unforced errors, not tactical application and we had chances to play people in behind in the first half and failed to do it, but we are learning that patience is a virtue against obdurate teams.

I liked this performance very much, possibly my favourite performance of the season, we controlled the ball we generally controlled the space, played how we want to play, patiently softened them up and then once softened, pounded them to fuck.

There was a 15 minute period in which Villa were on top. That was it though. And I agree re the errors from Mr Bissouma and Monsieur Romero.

Lined up with a stat they showed at that time where between 16 mins and 30 mins villa score a lot of goals..... which makes me think it's clearly a time where they decide to turn the screw.

I disagree with Deuterz Deuterz in that this just came down to superior players, especially forward players. I think you can see we pressed and controlled the game without the ball better than they did, and once we broke them once, their tactics were spent and they had to change a bunch of personnel and tactics, whereas ours remained consistent and efficient. They now had to come out and make the pitch bigger, and we had more room.

I don’t think it was purely down to superior players, but do think that was a key factor .. and a really key factor in the first place when it came to Emery deciding to play that way.

Particularly in the final third we were really ruthless compared to them. We made errors first half (which I imagine Emery anticipated) but they fluffed it. That one break where an earlier pass would’ve set Watkins clean through for example.

When they made errors, we chose the correct pass and had the correct finish. The quality gap in that part of the pitch was huge. The xG ended up 1.29 to Villa and 1.58 to us. The quality of end product factor is pretty much undeniable.

I agree about surrendering control. It’s always a huge risks and invites pressure. But I can totally see why Emery did it on the day with the way their backline has creaked lately. In the 4-4-2 they conceded 2.39 xG to Luton. They succumbed very easily to pressure and intensity.

I don’t think Emery fancied them toe to toe when we had our full strength defence and I don’t blame him. Especially after a mid-week game. Unlike Brighton I also don’t think they have the players who can out-do us in a possession game so they’d have been relying on a slug-fest which .. I don’t think they ever had a real shot of winning.

Watching the game now. I know we all know it but Matty Cash is a fucking prick. Went in on Destiny with absolutely no chance of winning the ball just after the sending off.

Dirty cheating scumbags still lost 4-0!

:ange-lol:
Thing with him is, he plays like he's a proper hard man but he's really a 5ft6 midget and a huge pussy. Someone needs to do a proper, proper job on him...a la Roy Keane/Barton almost. Put the little fake Polish cunt with the shit hairdo back in his place, that is the gutter.

Deki unlucky that Son is right footed. If he was left footed he would have played in Deki to score instead
Or perhaps Sonny has more confidence in the kid scoring...that's not a dig at Kulu, I just think a player of Sonny's calibre knows what he's doing, especially as they work on those situations at practice day in day out.

Or perhaps Sonny has more confidence in the kid scoring...that's not a dig at Kulu, I just think a player of Sonny's calibre knows what he's doing, especially as they work on those situations at practice day in day out.
Or figured that Brennan needed it more.

Ange said after the game it was important to the team who scored. Son probably understood that

The only one of The 3 that didn’t fumble the bag on Sarr was Bardy. The other two made total muppets of themselves with Sarr.
Yep Bardy the one I have any time for. I'm not even going to point out how horrendous their take on Bissouma was( I've lied I am) he was a rapist who should not have been signed, the tactical expert was so offended he would not do an analysis on his game after the signing was confirmed. Rich Im playing left wing probably 80% of my game ideologically speaking. But it was the most performative intellectual dangerous virtue signalling I have ever seen. All that aside the Sarr blindspot almost feels willfull like they can't see past a stereotype. I get they like Gallagher but look at what's infront of you for god sake!!

I'm just a simple old man and don't really know as much about this football thing as a lot of you learned contributors.

In my ignorance, I thought, in the first half, we were moving the defensive set up of the opposition around the field, pulling them this way and that, sapping their energy, putting pressure on their emotional ability to concentrate. Stupidly, I thought they were visibly wilting after about 40 minutes and I was, silly me, confident that the foundations had been laid for the collapse of their defensive walls in the second half. Obviously, it was just coincidence that they did, in fact, collapse in the second half.

I'll try and be more attentive to what's actually happening in future.

I caught it last night, skipping to our game… they tried very hard to make the first half look, “all Villa”, I felt… but I’ll watch the full game later from record, as I missed it as I was travelling…
Your post prompted me to have a look at MOTD2 - What a travesty! Our overall possession in the game was 70%, so in the 1st half it must have been nearer to 80%, yet all they showed was Villa chances!

Then, to cap it all, in his post-match comments Emery reckoned Villa controlled the first half!!! The man's deluded.

Back
Top Bottom