Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cool story bro.
Maybe you’re on the wrong forum if club football doesn’t get the juices flowing when Spurs humiliate their nearest league rival.
Each to their own. A 4-0 win away at Villa Park has set me up for a lovely week.
You keep reminiscing about how great everyone else is and how we somehow got lucky because Villa had an off day and/or Emery brain farted himself into defeat.

Cool story bro.

Yes, because no tactically superior manager has ever lost a game badly as that’s how football works.

Ange is better at other things. And he has better players.

Are you done?
Lol I'm not doing this for a laugh. I genuinely don't get your viewpoint so I'm trying to discuss it.

It just seems a very ropey hill to choose to die on this evening by saying the manager of our opposition got his tactics right and is better tactically than our manager after we've beaten them 4-0.

Doesn't seem a very strong case to me.

Lol I'm not doing this for a laugh. I genuinely don't get your viewpoint so I'm trying to discuss it.

It just seems a very ropey hill to choose to die on this evening by saying the manager of our opposition got his tactics right and is better tactically than our manager after we've beaten them 4-0.

Doesn't seem a very strong case to me.

I think he set out his team reasonably well and said team shit themselves in individual moments and our better players didn’t + then showed great quality in moments that mattered.

Tactics are only a small part of the game. We had better footballers who made better choices and showed more quality when it mattered.

All of this is a very dramatic overreaction to me essentially saying I don’t think the loss was Emery’s fault. Which doesn’t translate to ‘spurs didn’t play well’ at all. We did.

I think he set out his team reasonably well and said team shit themselves in individual moments and our better players didn’t + then showed great quality in moments that mattered.

Tactics are only a small part of the game. We had better footballers who made better choices and showed more quality when it mattered.

All of this is a very dramatic overreaction to me essentially saying I don’t think the loss was Emery’s fault. Which doesn’t translate to ‘spurs didn’t play well’ at all. We did.
It was completely his fault!!

In the biggest game of their season so far, a game that would go a massive way to cement Champions League football for Aston fucking Villa, he massively shit the bed.

He abandoned their style that has them in 4th and played not to lose instead of to win.

His tactical choice meant our tactical choice, from a tactically inferior manager, absolutely overwhelmed them. His choice led to:

A massive defeat
Top 4 out of their hands
An 8 goal swing wiping out their GD advantage
Frustrated his lynchpin captain so much that he lost his head, got sent off and is banned for the next three games when they're struggling with injuries in that position.

Fuck me - I'd hate to see what happens when he doesn't set them up reasonably well!

In the biggest game of their season so far, a game that would go a massive way to cement Champions League football for Aston fucking Villa, he massively shit the bed.

He abandoned their style that has them in 4th and played not to lose instead of to win.

His tactical choice meant our tactical choice, from an tactically inferior manager, absolutely overwhelmed them. His choice let to:

A massive defeat
Top 4 out of their hands
Frustrated his lynchpin captain so much that he lost his head, got sent off and is banned for the next three games when they're struggling with injuries in that position.

Fuck me - I'd hate to see what happens when he doesn't set them up reasonably well!

Okay. I disagree. I’ve explained why and can’t be arsed repeating myself. You obviously took an innocuous comment about Emery being better tactically very much to heart even though that’s only one facet of being a coach (I think he’s better tactically than Klopp too) so sorry about that.

I’ll make sure to not alter anything in the future.

Okay. I disagree. I’ve explained why and can’t be arsed repeating myself. You obviously took an innocuous comment about Emery being better tactically very much to heart even though that’s only one facet of being a coach (I think he’s better tactically than Klopp too) so sorry about that.

I’ll make sure to not alter anything in the future.
Lol don't get all hurt. I'm sowwee.

All I'm saying is, if you want to make out Emery is some tactical genius, it's probably not best to do it in the match thread of a game where he completely fucked his tactics up.

Lol don't get all hurt. I'm sowwee.

All I'm saying is, if you want to make out Emery is some tactical genius, it's probably not best to do it in the match thread of a game where he completely fucked his tactics up.

I don’t think I was the one who was hurt.

He’s not a genius. He’s a very good tactical coach who got outdone in a game against a better side. Shit happens. Being very good tactically also led him to four Europa League titles.

I don’t think he fucked his tactics up, that’s the whole point of the ‘discussion’. I think players let the tactics down and on the other hand our players executed theirs perfectly.

Player quality matters much more than tactics on a board.

His tactical choice meant our tactical choice, from an tactically inferior manager, absolutely overwhelmed them. His choice led to:

A massive defeat
Top 4 out of their hands

It’s fucking baffling for any alleged Spurs fan to be here this evening to belittle a resounding thrashing of the team who were supposedly coasting into CL at our expense.
It’s properly game on now and it’s in our hands.
Comfortably better than Villa when they don’t get away with crippling our players Scot free ( ha ha McGinn you little fat cunt)
We are rarely faultless in our performances and haven’t been since I started supporting in in the 70’s
on more than a handful of occasions.
But we dry fisted Villa today even with their “master tactician” manager.
I loved it and will enjoy the whole week ahead.
The history book says we thumped them 4-0.
We passed the eye test today.

It’s fucking baffling for any alleged Spurs fan to be here this evening to belittle a resounding thrashing of the team

Good thing that hasn’t happened then.

‘I think this was more down to us being individually better rather than them fucking it up tactically’ isn’t belittling shit. It’s just a different way of seeing the game to you.

Why that seems to bother you or anyone else in the slightest I don’t know. Nobody is belittling the fact we won 4-0 at all.

I don’t think I was the one who was hurt.

He’s not a genius. He’s a very good tactical coach who got outdone in a game against a better side. Shit happens. Being very good tactically also led him to four Europa League titles.

I don’t think he fucked his tactics up, that’s the whole point of the ‘discussion’. I think players let the tactics down and on the other hand our players executed theirs perfectly.

Player quality matters much more than tactics on a board.
I would argue that the moment he told his players how they were setting up the game was lost.

They've done well this season attacking teams. Going for it. They've not played a back 5.

It's like if Ange decided that against Woolwich we're gonna sit back with a back 5 - it would only succeed in putting all players on the back foot.

It was a massive error.

And again...I don't really know enough about Emery to debate the wider case. As I said, it's just an odd moment to claim how good he is.

I would argue that the moment he told his players how they were setting up the game was lost.

They've done well this season attacking teams. Going for it. They've not played a back 5.

It's like if Ange decided that against Woolwich we're gonna sit back with a back 5 - it would only succeed in putting all players on the back foot.

It was a massive error.

And again...I don't really know enough about Emery to debate the wider case. As I said, it's just an odd moment to claim how good he is.

They haven’t been in that early season form for a while. Luton caused them loads of issues. I think he looked at the pace we had in attack, looked at how we play offensively & what we struggle vs, and decided to shield a very slow backline.

Tactically it made sense. When they actually opened up and pressed us they got murdered. They’re not in that place atm.

Good thing that hasn’t happened then.

‘I think this was more down to us being individually better rather than them fucking it up tactically’ isn’t belittling shit. It’s just a different way of seeing the game to you.

Why that seems to bother you or anyone else in the slightest I don’t know. Nobody is belittling the fact we won 4-0 at all.
What bothers me (if bothered is the right word) is that a supposed Spurs fan is pouring cold water on a resounding victory where we outplayed them, outrun them and outfought them.
I’m sure my week ahead is going to be a damn sight rosier than worrying about how we only won because we are better than them even though their manager has been around since his coffin landed in Whitby from Transylvania and is a master of all.

They haven’t been in that early season form for a while. Luton caused them loads of issues. I think he looked at the pace we had in attack, looked at how we play offensively & what we struggle vs, and decided to shield a very slow backline.

Tactically it made sense. When they actually opened up and pressed us they got murdered. They’re not in that place atm.
Fair enough butt.

He's got a bit of a cheek to blame his players I think when, to my mind, the result was completely down to him but I need my beauty sleep so happy to leave it there.

Gonna go chuck my ratings in then get some well-needed shut eye.

:ange-arms2:

What bothers me (if bothered is the right word) is that a supposed Spurs fan is pouring cold water on a resounding victory where we outplayed them, outrun them and outfought them.
I’m sure my week ahead is going to be a damn sight rosier than worrying about how we only won because we are better than them even though their manager has been around since his boat landed in Whitby from Transylvania and is a master

I haven’t poured cold water on shit. That’s just your interpretation. It was a great win over a good team where we did lots of things very, very well. I just don’t totally agree with you on how it was done and don’t react in the same way as you and for some reason that bothers you in some way.

It shouldn’t impact your enjoyment of the game one iota, it’s a different opinion on a football match. My opinion was more to do with who was to blame from THEIR perspective than it was anything to do with us. From our side both the players and the coach nailed it on the day, hence a 4-0 scoreline.

I haven’t poured cold water on shit. That’s just your interpretation. It was a great win over a good team where we did lots of things very, very well. I just don’t totally agree with you on how it was done and don’t react in the same way as you and for some reason that bothers you in some way.

It shouldn’t impact your enjoyment of the game one iota, it’s a different opinion on a football match. My opinion was more to do with who was to blame from THEIR perspective than it was anything to do with us. From our side both the players and the coach nailed it on the day, hence a 4-0 scoreline.
It doesn’t bother me.
We won 4-0, they lost 4-0.
It’s funny engaging with a Spurs fan who doesn’t take enormous pleasure in that result.

It doesn’t bother me.
We won 4-0, not lost 4-0.
It’s funny engaging with a Spurs fan who doesn’t take enormous pleasure in that result.

Yeah OK man, I don’t take pleasure from a result because I expressed an opinion that the first half wasn’t as good & that Emery wasn’t at fault.

Have a good night.

Back
Top Bottom