Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Punditry is dead, engagement baiting is where the money is sadly.

It is funny how they would make fun of the likes of Aftv for being embarrassing just to turn into them.

I would dislike AFTV if we had a Spurs version as it is embarrassing but in truth I never blamed them for making it. If Neville and Ferdinand can make money being complete tits why can’t match going fans like Robbie. If anything Robbie has far better experience of fandom then those two and oddly his own opinions are more moderate and self controlled than Neville’s.

Sad thing is Neville was a good pundit a few years back but it’s like watching Man United TV when he is around now.

Best fan for entertainment was Gooner Claude who past away, miles more interesting to listen to than Carragher, Neveille or Ferdinand.

I would dislike AFTV if we had a Spurs version as it is embarrassing but in truth I never blamed them for making it. If Neville and Ferdinand can make money being complete tits why can’t match going fans like Robbie.

Sad thing is Neville was a good pundit a few years back but it’s like watching Man United TV when he is around now.
Honestly, football analysis is pretty fucking boring. A lot of it is just narrating what we can already see with our own eyes.

I'd rather hear them explain what both teams were trying to do throughout the game, the things that are more difficult to figure out for normal fans.

How were they trying to pull players out of position to create spaces, which weakness of the opposition were they trying to exploit? How did both managers tweak their set up during the game to adjust to what the other was doing?

That's way more interesting to me than just retelling how the goals were scored.

Honestly, football analysis is pretty fucking boring. A lot of it is just narrating what we can already see with our own eyes.

I'd rather hear them explain what both teams were trying to do throughout the game, the things that are more difficult to figure out for normal fans.

How were they trying to pull players out of position to create spaces, which weakness of the opposition were they trying to exploit? How did both managers tweak their set up during the game to adjust to what the other was doing?

That's way more interesting to me than just retelling how the goals were scored.

For that you need managers and coaches. I am a critic of how he behaves but when Jose was out of work he was brilliant to listen too as a part time pundit, he could explain clearly what was happening and how the game was changing tactically.

I’d much rather Klopp and Wenger in the hot seat than Neville or Ferdinand. Problem is a lot of footballers made a career on great natural talent and hard work but it’s clear they don’t know the game in a deeper way like a top coach so the commentary is no different to a fan channel.

For that you need managers and coaches. I am a critic of how he behaves but when Jose was out of work he was brilliant to listen too as a part time pundit, he could explain clearly what was happening and how the game was changing tactically.

I’d much rather Klopp and Wenger in the hot seat than Neville or Ferdinand. Problem is a lot of footballers made a career on great natural talent and hard work but it’s clear they don’t know the game in a deeper way like a top coach so the commentary is no different to a fan channel.
You don't need a top coach tbf, even someone on a lower level can explain whats going on tactically.

It is interesting how Neville and Ferdinand aren't able to offer that same insight as Jose for example despite playing under the greatest manager to ever live. I guess Fergie just wanted obedient players who did what they were told.

I remember Conte saying that even though he wants players who follow his instructions, he still wanted his players to understand why he was instructing them to play that way instead of just blindly obeying him.

I had a chat yesterday with someone who had been in discussions with them over their stadium development and turned down working with them, to quote him, “because they don’t have a fucking clue what they are doing”.

So don’t expect them to be doing anything soon and definitely not at the current site. Their only real option is to move away.

is he holding out for an 8 year contract?

I never had a problem with Neville when he first broke onto the scene and I think he along with Carragher has pushed on the quality of analysis that preceded them (I still think it has a long, long way to go). He is a smart bloke and on the whole, gets his points over well (even if we might disagree with them) and Carragher can be a good foil as he frequently disagrees with him and equally presents his side well.

FWIW Carragher's analysis is far superior to that of Neville's to the point where nowadays I don't think he's got a good handle at all on tactics, I'm now thinking that he has someone who does it for him and runs through the talking points of a team. His analysts nowadays always seem prejudged, thought about before the game begins, his in-game commentary is delivered as such, almost pre-scripted way and he has failed to adapt the script to what is happening on the pitch, which then feeds into his post-match comments. (this I think is evidenced in his "bottling" comments, while I'm delighted this label has been pinned on them, they didn't bottle that game, that's not what bottling is. I think he had this line prepared before a ball was kicked and because they lost he felt it could be wheeled out).

But as you say both he and his brother have been woeful in the real-life environment of football management and ownership.
Rafa Benítez had the highest praise for Carragher' understanding of the game in a recent interview, back when he was at Liverpool he was convinced he would become a top manager.

Rafa Benítez had the highest praise for Carragher' understanding of the game in a recent interview, back when he was at Liverpool he was convinced he would become a top manager.
I would agree with him.

Carragher's articles and post-match analysis are consistently one of the best (I don't always agree with him but even on these occasions he still makes sound points). His best analysis comes after he's had time, so MFN or his written articles. He's miles better than Nevile with post-match immediate takes also, at least he communicates what he seen in the game, unlike Neville who pre-plans his post-match.

The more I hear Neville, the more I'm convinced his analysis is paid for and handed to him.

It's also a complete load of nonsense. Reportedly it was 'stupid white bastard'.
Nothing to see here. Rude, and a little offensive but worthy of a court charge is laughable.

P.S. pleb pleb loyalty test time.
I agree it is long drawn out but I also think that the Metropolitan Police
have now dug it up to take the spotlight away from the Everard case!
Police have got thin skins.

Back
Top Bottom