January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were gazumped. We've been watching him since last summer, and we dawdled so fucking long, a little team like Brentford came in and did the deal.
Grealish all over again. In a year or 2 this kid will be moving on again for money well out of our reach.
Probably to Brighton as the one of the other unrestricted-by-ffp teams. They'll blow us out of the water with a £35m offer for him.

It's comparible to Man Utd losing out on a transfer target to Oldham.

It's comparible to Man Utd losing out on a transfer target to Oldham.

Cat Working GIF by Felshaus

But Olise can also cover Maddison so he'd still be a good buy especially if we get ECL. Sesko* because deep down I see Richarlison in Saudi with Neymar and his sister. Werner isn't going to be retained.

If Olise can play central then that changes things imo because we really need a player that creates from CM when he's out. Deki is a 10 if needed but he's not that 8/10 that Maddison is.

At the start it looked like it was going to be a good transfer window for us. I was hopeful we would improve our best eleven with at least one big signing but that doesn't look likely to happen now. We've signed a couple of back up players as cover which we needed. Our best side is good enough to make top 4 (2nd or 3rd) I think, so let's hope they stay fit and not suspended.

It's only 2 games but Werner looks set to be a stop gap from what we've seen so far.

As soon as Son is back he's playing off the bench. For us to make him our second highest salary he's going to need to be pretty special in these few games before Son comes back.
I'd be inclined to play Son in the middle with Werner on the left for a while. I think there is a player there but it may take a few games for him to find his form.

Son may also need a bit of a rest after the Asian Cup so a bit of time on the bench wouldn't do him any harm.

100000% this.

Other than Son, none of our front 3 are elite level. Richy is shaping up nicely for an Ange #9 but he's about running and finishing. Deki and Johnson are still young and both have high ceilings but the most obvious place to push for a really elite player is LWF. The fact that Son can play #9 as well makes it the perfect place to recruit.

Werner was a prudent pick up in January but unless we are selling Solomon and Werner ends up a squad piece, there is no reason to make him permanent.

I think we wait and see what Werner looks like this season. If he doesn't look a top player still, we don't take up the option and we look round in summer to see who is available .

But we ae also going to need to upgrade on Hojbjerg and Lo Celso and quite possibly a LCB/LB as well, so my guess is, given the cost of a good forward, even Olise its probably buying one forward and say 2 or 3 others or two forwards and 2 others.

Not sure what Ange will make of youngsters this season and pre-season such as Devine, Phillips and others, and whether they affect our transfer targets in summer.

Few clubs looking at Jordan James as an alternative to Wharton. Can't say I know much about him other than he's a Welsh HG CM, currently at Birmingham.

Versatile midfielder, can play DM and no 10 , only 19 but played almost 100 Championship games at that young age ..... and I think that's at least part of the attraction.

I think our question is whether he's much better than Devine is, both a similar age and possibly similar ?

I think we wait and see what Werner looks like this season. If he doesn't look a top player still, we don't take up the option and we look round in summer to see who is available .

But we ae also going to need to upgrade on Hojbjerg and Lo Celso and quite possibly a LCB/LB as well, so my guess is, given the cost of a good forward, even Olise its probably buying one forward and say 2 or 3 others or two forwards and 2 others.

Not sure what Ange will make of youngsters this season and pre-season such as Devine, Phillips and others, and whether they affect our transfer targets in summer.
I definitely think we should have Devine as a bench option next season. He is the only player on our books who is potential competition for Maddison.

If Phillips smashes it at Plymouth, he should be a contender for the back-up LCB position.

At the start it looked like it was going to be a good transfer window for us. I was hopeful we would improve our best eleven with at least one big signing but that doesn't look likely to happen now. We've signed a couple of back up players as cover which we needed. Our best side is good enough to make top 4 (2nd or 3rd) I think, so let's hope they stay fit and not suspended.

Rare that 'big' players are available in Jan.

And none have moved this Jan either, so never an option.

In summer we are likely to continue to buy players who might be priced as ;mid tier' but are actually very capable such as Ven de Ven and Vicario.

I definitely think we should have Devine as a bench option next season. He is the only player on our books who is potential competition for Maddison.

If Phillips smashes it at Plymouth, he should be a contender for the back-up LCB position.

Devine is pretty versatile - can play as a deep lying DM (takes no prisoners with tackling too) and no 10, and I'd guess he could play as a no 8 although I've not seen him do it.

It's only 2 games but Werner looks set to be a stop gap from what we've seen so far.

As soon as Son is back he's playing off the bench. For us to make him our second highest salary he's going to need to be pretty special in these few games before Son comes back.
I wait to cast my wrath over Werner until he has played a couple of games with Maddison!

Defense and midfield look good IMO...but our attack with the exception of son is ass.

Would love to get Kvara from Napoli or Ralphina from Barcelona....Levy make it happen please.
I think we still need to bring in a top midfielder when (not if) PEH leaves. He’s a real trier and top pro, but it’s painfully obvious he’s just not suited to the high octane game we play, and its clear Ange is aware of this.

I also agree that we need to bring in a top top attacker, be that a top winger with a goal scoring threat or a new striker.

We don’t need another cheap stopgap like Werner or a young punt, we need to bring in someone of proven quality. Without Son we’re just far too toothless up front. (I mean it surprises me that some Spurs fans seem confused by this considering we lost the best striker in the world last summer and didn’t replace him but hey, here we are)

agreed but it shows what happens if you pay big transfer fees and pay high wages often enough

Outbid everyone (including us) to buy Rafinha from Leeds and paid top wages ....... not to play him that much either.

Definition of NOT sustainable ..... and that's what the sustainability rules are designed to stop

Unless you are Manchester City.

And why there hasn't been more scrutiny over the Haaland deal is beyond me. That stinks to high heaven.

Unless you are Manchester City.

And why there hasn't been more scrutiny over the Haaland deal is beyond me. That stinks to high heaven.

The basics of it (fee being low) is just the knock-on effects of his deal with Dortmund......... They (Raola) insisted on a deliberately low buy out clause so he could have freedom of pathway to basically whatever club he wanted when the time came to leave BVB (and of course allow any excess wealth generated to be funneled back to Haaland & Raola instead of the parent club). This was all well documented prior to City ever entering the frame to buy him. There were also similar terms adhered to when he moved between RB & BVB.

Outside of that; what exactly do you suspect to be dodgy?

Last edited:
Good podcast last week with Flav on The Lab. He brought on @HLTCO (Twitter guy) to get an outsiders view on Tottenham. @HLTCO is a life-long Palace fan and he was asked about Eze. His take was that Olise and Eze should have similar release clauses, so if you’re a club that can pay that kind of fee, then Olise is the right choice. He thinks Olise is the best player he’s ever seen at Palace and would be incredible at any club.

After listening to him breakdown both players, I’d love to see us go for Olise, even though he doesn’t play as needed of a position for us as Eze would. At such a large buyout price point, get the guy with the highest ceiling.

I’d be shocked if Spurs would be willing to splash the cash for either player, but since there’s been so much Eze talk over the past two windows on TFC, thought I’d cast a vote for Olise.

The club's strategy appears to be, that we go after a target, if we are able to get a clear run at them.
They seem to want, a player to be all in on them, with no other clubs involved, so no bidding war which increases the amount.
I think it's quite risky and limited, relying on a target not changing their mind, like we have just seen.
I guess this has been a Levy policy, to ensure we don't pay too much, but Kane will need to be replaced, and another year or two so will son, that is going to cost a bit is the club ready.

Big competition for him sadly.
No surprise. Clubs should be trying to get him and we should be in there too. However I think the cost will be prohibitive for a lot of clubs in the summer. He has “it” though, one I’d take a risk on and one we should have pushed for instead of Johnson. Even though, at the time, I understood the move for him. But Olise is the level above. He just has that on the ball aggression that top players have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom