Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They haven't won anything since 1955.
Their 1969 trophy was the fairs cup, which is not recognized as it was invitational only.

I agree regarding the flack we get compared to them.
Every picture on social media has the comments, nice trophy or put that in your trophy cabinet.
Yet these, everton etc get nothing.
Everton at least have won the League Title as recently as the 1980s and the FA Cup as recently as 1995, they also are in the same city as a much more successful club, Newcastle can't say any of that.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

For Callum Wilson
Can't believe they didn't bring him on when chasing the game. ... What he was playing??

I'm not bothered by not having an extra CL place. We should be aiming to finish as high as possible instead of seeing how low we can finish. I want to be in the champions league so we can actually give it a go, not just to make numbers up. It doesn't effect our spending anyway.
I read today that Woolwich have made £66m already from the group stages. We have made nothing. That’s going to affect our spending. And theirs.

I read today that Woolwich have made £66m already from the group stages. We have made nothing. That’s going to affect our spending. And theirs.
I don't think we spent more in 2022 when we had CL than this summer and before in 2021.

Then again it's hard to say because some of the transfer fees were paid later and we had more to spend this summer because of the Kane transfer.

Either way we spend a decent amount even without CL so I'm not really that interested in it from a financial perspective. I want us to play the best teams and actually try and win it.

Apparently, despite their seemingly unlimited wealth, Newcastle had to contend with something called in-jur-ies last night (I had to Google it as I've never heard the word before....
It seems it was the sole reason for their elimination last night...

Yet when we went on a 4 game losing streak, it was 'Spursy'!!

Funny that!

It really makes me laugh how WE seem to be the banter "won nothing" club when Newcastle are around, who are in a one club city, haven't won anything except the 2nd Division/Championship since 1969, have been relegated twice in the last 15 years and have bottled league titles & cup finals arguably more times than anyone.

Everyone is obsessed with us, it's a good thing.

It really makes me laugh how WE seem to be the banter "won nothing" club when Newcastle are around, who are in a one club city, haven't won anything except the 2nd Division/Championship since 1969, have been relegated twice in the last 15 years and have bottled league titles & cup finals arguably more times than anyone.
We're a bigger club. Bigger global fan base. Far wealthier (until 18 months ago, at least), so the expectations should be higher

It's also worth remembering we have many more direct rivals than them. And two of those biggest rivals have constantly won silverware through our barren years. So the banter is always gonna be more focused on us.

No great shock that we finished bottom in a group death with Dortmund, Milan and PSG. No recent experience in the Champions League for most of the players or the manager. Bit naïve at times, at times a little overawed by the occasion, but I'm proud of the team on the whole. Could have taken 6pts off PSG were it not for a dodgy handball law, half time of the final game we were sitting 2nd in the group, but we were clearly not as good as Milan or Dortmund over 180 minutes.

As an aside, we've been really unlucky with our drawn opponents this season; Dortmund, Milan, PSG in the CL, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea in the League Cup and now Sunderland in the FA Cup.

Everyone was predicting we'd be embarrassed in that competition, we'd get pumped by all of the teams etc. But I don't think we were the whipping boys that people expected. Much more embarrassing for Man Utd to finish bottom of their group with fewer points from Bayern, Copenhagen and Galatasaray than we managed against our lot.

Fatigue and lack of options definitely affected our chances (and anyone saying otherwise is just letting football tribalism cloud their objectivity), but we only won one game, and couldn't even manage a draw at home against Milan to get Europa League.

It's really unlikely we'll get into the 24/25 Champions League. Those spots will likely go to Man City, Woolwich, Liverpool, and either yourselves or Aston Villa. We've got to hope for some other route into Europe. Hopefully whenever we do get back, we'll have be more ready for it. Definitely came too soon for us. No depth, not enough quality, not enough experience.

Hoping that we can lift our league form now that we don't have the additional fixtures.

We're a bigger club. Bigger global fan base. Far wealthier (until 18 months ago, at least), so the expectations should be higher

It's also worth remembering we have many more direct rivals than them. And two of those biggest rivals have constantly won silverware through our barren years. So the banter is always gonna be more focused on us.
Yup to all of this, and add to that the fact that our local rival is Sunderland and for all we've not won anything in my life time we've not suffered a fate as bad as theirs.

We don't really have a direct rival at the minute. We're still a ways off the truly elite clubs, but because of our wealth we're not really viewed as rivals to the likes of Brighton or Villa even though our ambitions will likely be the same at the minute. Plus Brighton fans are too nice to have a proper rivalry with.

No great shock that we finished bottom in a group death with Dortmund, Milan and PSG. No recent experience in the Champions League for most of the players or the manager. Bit naïve at times, at times a little overawed by the occasion, but I'm proud of the team on the whole. Could have taken 6pts off PSG were it not for a dodgy handball law, half time of the final game we were sitting 2nd in the group, but we were clearly not as good as Milan or Dortmund over 180 minutes.

As an aside, we've been really unlucky with our drawn opponents this season; Dortmund, Milan, PSG in the CL, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea in the League Cup and now Sunderland in the FA Cup.

Everyone was predicting we'd be embarrassed in that competition, we'd get pumped by all of the teams etc. But I don't think we were the whipping boys that people expected. Much more embarrassing for Man Utd to finish bottom of their group with fewer points from Bayern, Copenhagen and Galatasaray than we managed against our lot.

Fatigue and lack of options definitely affected our chances (and anyone saying otherwise is just letting football tribalism cloud their objectivity), but we only won one game, and couldn't even manage a draw at home against Milan to get Europa League.

It's really unlikely we'll get into the 24/25 Champions League. Those spots will likely go to Man City, Woolwich, Liverpool, and either yourselves or Aston Villa. We've got to hope for some other route into Europe. Hopefully whenever we do get back, we'll have be more ready for it. Definitely came too soon for us. No depth, not enough quality, not enough experience.

Hoping that we can lift our league form now that we don't have the additional fixtures.
Sorry fishy, I'm shocked you finished bottom. The other teams are decent but not exactly the group of death as it was coined. PSG, mbappe aside, are quite average at the moment. Dortmund are only going ok in the league and Milan are only a decent team. You've gotta beat at least 2 of those teams at home and hope to pick up the odd point on the road.

Youre better than both Dortmund and Milan.

I think it's not only a failure that you didn't qualify but the fact you finished bottom is even worse.

Hideously unprepared for the biggest season in your club's history.

Back
Top Bottom