Wolves (A) - Saturday 11th November 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those farmers gave constantly given us a hiding. If they are farmers, what are we?

If having space is what Harry needed, why did we not get a Maddison years ago. It would have been so different if we had a Maddison in the midfield and a half decent defence.

Added to that, we don't have any backup to any of our first team squad.

Just to add to what others have said, I think “we” (as a fan base) were crying out for someone like Maddison since Eriksen left. But that doesn’t change the fact that Kane gets a lot more time in the Bundesliga.

And yeah…we have no back up. I’m not sure any club could lose their two CBs and creative AM on Monday and play first thing Saturday though. Should we have a deeper squad? Yes, undoubtedly. But there’s going to be a drop off between that starting eleven and guys willing to be here for substitute roles, particularly when we have no European action.

We tried to get Maddison a couple of years ago but guess who turned him down :contekiss:
Stop spreading fake bullshit news.
From your own 'spurs web'

Conte liked him but didn't get him. Who do you think was I'm the forefront of that decision. Hate Conté, Jose, Poch .....right far back as Martin Jol, but at least be honest about your shit.

Just to add to what others have said, I think “we” (as a fan base) were crying out for someone like Maddison since Eriksen left. But that doesn’t change the fact that Kane gets a lot more time in the Bundesliga.

And yeah…we have no back up. I’m not sure any club could lose their two CBs and creative AM on Monday and play first thing Saturday though. Should we have a deeper squad? Yes, undoubtedly. But there’s going to be a drop off between that starting eleven and guys willing to be here for substitute roles, particularly when we have no European action.
I guess that explains why City has such a great bench.

And the reason we don't have European action is because of ?

Conte liked him but didn't get him. Who do you think was I'm the forefront of that decision. Hate Conté, Jose, Poch .....right far back as Martin Jol, but at least be honest about your shit.

Bet you didn't go as far as checking the source articles for that claim did you...... 🤡

Just a load of waffle..... No quotes from anyone of significance; just some no mark from GimmeSport.com..... The most relative part being.

"Ultimately it depends on how Conte sees his side playing next season and whether or not Maddison would fit into that. "​

....It then goes on to speculate that Conte wouldn't want to shift to a 352, which upon evidence of last season; he refused to.

And seemingly SpursWeb (who are ultimately nobodys, but seeing as you opted to reference them) agree anyway:

"Spurs Web Opinion
As things stand, it appears as if Paratici and Conte view Zaniolo as a bigger priority than Maddison. That suggests to me that Conte does not really plan on shifting to a 3-5-2 and would rather have more options off the bench in his tried and tested 3-4-3."

Conte wanted him even though he doesn't play with a no10 in his team? Critical thinking isn't your strong point is it? 🤡

O'Keefe said many times that Conte turned him down, Levy's been trying to sign him since Poch was in charge

Now I've calmed down, I did feel that Wolves actually deserved their win, but the timing of their goals was so painful.
I don't think we played particularly well, which just highlighted how weak our bench is.
Not making excuses, but how did their guy not get a yellow for that tackle on Pedro, and Biss pick one up for hardly anything? Think Sonny got hit in the face too, but there was no VAR check or TV comment about that.
I'm just glad that the international break is upon us, time for us to regroup.

oh yeah, Romero is cool headed. 4 red cards

I meant as a defensive partnership with Van de Ven… they’re both confident at knocking the ball about and as a partnership they have Alderweireld and Vertonghen vibes… not a lot looks like getting passed them. Whereas with Dier and Davies, despite not necessarily having horrendous games… they can be got at and exposed. They look and were nothing special. A more clinical side than Wolves would have punished us today (beyond the two goals Wolves got).

I my thirty five odd years of supporting Spurs, I can't recall a single period where we have lost three of our "starting" back four?

We are unlikely to see this again, and I can't see any top quality centre back come to us in January or next Summer to bench warm.

I would think that Ange may well look at our younger defenders to start a game over the next few games?

Why not?
It was such an uncanny domino of effects, whipped up by the fervour of Poch returning and playing Chelsea at home. You’re right, it’s clear we can’t go forward with the same backline

The problem with getting quality back ups is not all about money and identifying targets. Hojbjerg considers himself too good to notbe a starter and wants to move. Many on here do not rate him anyway. However as not in Europe unless Ange starts rotating for PL matches to give players minutes then back ups do not play. So persuading players to come and not play until/if the first choice are injured/suspended is going to meet with resistance if the player is first choice at his present club. We also have a full complement of non British players meaning we have to drop someone from the squad to make space if we cannot sell a player. That’s what happened last season when we lost Doherty for nothing.
It will not be easy to attract quality players as back ups.

Basically. In one sentence, you cannot win a match with more than half your team that cannot play football.
Totally agree with that, problem is that was a choice, it didn't have to be that way.

The decision to play it safe and go with Dier and Davies at cb, Royal lb, Hojbjerg replacing our main creative force in midfield...

There were alternatives that didn't entail wheeling out these proven anti-footballers en masse.

Gil or GLC in for Maddison and we maintain some attacking intent at least, maybe control the game a bit more.

Phillips in at cb if we're as brave as the manager likes to profess, sink or swim, maybe it doesn't work out either but at least it's not the guaranteed mediocrity of Dier.

After Monday nights "it's who we are, we'll have a crack if we're down to 5 men" approach, to then do this today is baffling.

There were options that weren't as predictably disappointing as what we started with today.

Now I've calmed down, I did feel that Wolves actually deserved their win, but the timing of their goals was so painful.
I don't think we played particularly well, which just highlighted how weak our bench is.
Not making excuses, but how did their guy not get a yellow for that tackle on Pedro, and Biss pick one up for hardly anything? Think Sonny got hit in the face too, but there was no VAR check or TV comment about that.
I'm just glad that the international break is upon us, time for us to regroup.

There was also other factors against us today:

Fatigue - playing with 9 men would have a number of players running on empty
Knocks - Porro and Son were reportedly carrying them
Injuries/lack of match fitness - Davies next to no training sessions, Porro missed at least 1 day, so did Son? Bentancur reportedly can’t manage more than 45 mins
Lack of sharpness - Dier hasn’t been involved, Hojbjerg has also had very little game time
Players out of position - Emerson can play left back but as more of a square peg in a round hole
Match preparation - they had less than a week of training together to be ready for today’s game
Drop in quality - unlike the Brentford game when we were a bit disjointed you could see what Ange was trying to do. Whereas today we had players on the pitch who due to their own limitations couldn’t fulfil Ange’s style of playing and due to this we suffered. We looked like a Conte side, not Ange ball
Players not listening - Ange could be heard (as per reports) shouting at the players to push forward. Last season those guilty of not doing so included Dier, Davies and Hojbjerg… it’s as if they returned back to default settings

When or before Romero returns I would like to see either Phillips or Dorrington brought in or eased into the side. Both have decent ceilings and the under 21s play in the same style as the first team. Given Phillips already has first team experience with Blackburn, he’s the obvious choice.

The return of Udogie will also give us both an uplift in our defensive and offensive capabilities on the left hand side.

I know Bissouma is now suspended for a game but we can’t play Biss, Hojbjerg and Sarr again. Bentancur (when fit) needs to play and/or Lo Celso (who tried and was decent when he came on) given a chance. I know his history with us isn’t anything to write home about but he’s still a decent player albeit not necessarily suited to the EPL.

I would like to see both Gil and Veliz given more minutes too.

I think fatigue was a big issue, playing both Davies and Dier for a whole game when neither had had many minutes. They brought in fresh legs and goaled within three minutes. We needed to make a change there when they did.

Why does everyone hate us so much? I find it so bizarre. We’ve competed for Europe organically in the last 15 years, most spurs fans are pessimists so we’re not a cocky bunch, we’ve always played an attractive brand of football. There are plenty of big clubs who have won fuck all for way longer than us and don’t get any stick. I guess it’s because we’ve been in the top 6 and come close a few times and should’ve won something in the last 10 years. Take out the cheating cunts City & Chelsea and we’d have won a few things by now! I do love it in a way though :ange-arms:

The Spurs fans that have a go at the team are not worthy unless they have a go at the refereeing at the same time.

Tottenham are being cheated and not for the first time. Wake up Spurs fans!!!!

scoring early... and then being negative thereafter is a big problem

second string players cant play ange ball.. so must adjust tactics. ange should know that?
NOt sure about you guys - but that tikki takka 12 passes to forward 20m is "painful" to watch. Not only that - this continues up the opposition box but no one likes to take a pop... crossing is now out of fashion

Back
Top Bottom