The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is my general take on football. Occasional excitement. I’m a take a game at a game type person.

1*dVWv5pSnoYnokvvEeJtXEg.png

Below is how most people are on here. Especially on a matchday thread by the second almost.

f-d%3A64b4aa706698a5bf72cbe6c499afaa0b5e0eb15809bba6652e462525%2BIMAGE_TINY%2BIMAGE_TINY.1

I don’t how you do it!

6 games in. Pretty small squad in terms of good replacements for key players. We will lose Son and some African players in January.
How good are we without son, Maddison and Romero? Bissouma is a big part of our success.

Enjoy the moment. It’s a long road ahead.

If we get good luck with injuries, then champions league football is a real possibility. We weren't that far off it last season before we went into total free fall towards the end,and we were awful that whole season.

Also I do think the squad overall has been upgraded even with the loss of Kane.

But as we all know, the drop off the team would have with even one key injury is huge, so it's impossible to predict what will happen.

I think we’ll need to recruit well in January to have any chance of making top four. The longer the A team has to play this high tempo
game style the greater the chances of injury, which could be calamitous if it happened to certain players.

With a game a week and several significant breaks through the season I think we may very well blow early expectations out of the water.

Once we get past Liverpool this week we are staring into 6 very winnable fixtures.

Luton (A)
Fulham (H)
Palace (A)
Chelsea (H)
Wolves (A)
Villa (H)

Playing the way we are, with even luck we should be looking for 14-15 points out of that. Grab a point of better this weekend and we are going to be 30 points or thereabouts at the end of November after 13 games. That's closer to title challenging form than top 4 form.

I'd be gutted if we finish worse than 4th now.

With a game a week and several significant breaks through the season I think we may very well blow early expectations out of the water.

Once we get past Liverpool this week we are staring into 6 very winnable fixtures.

Luton (A)
Fulham (H)
Palace (A)
Chelsea (H)
Wolves (A)
Villa (H)

Playing the way we are, with even luck we should be looking for 14-15 points out of that. Grab a point of better this weekend and we are going to be 30 points or thereabouts at the end of November after 13 games. That's closer to title challenging form than top 4 form.

I'd be gutted if we finish worse than 4th now.
Those six games are still tough games largely (apart from Luton and Chelsea 😂).

We will do more attacking than them but still some dangerous sides for various reasons

Man United and Chelsea aren’t finishing above us, no chance. I think we get top 4 quite comfortably if we avoid a long term injury to Maddison, Romero/VDV, Bissouma. Badly need another CB in January, I really hope it doesn’t cost us in the meantime.

Fuck yeah!

Have that Dippers!

We lost that last year so a lovely 3 points to add to the comparison.

Wins: ✓✓✓✓✓
Clean Sheets: ✓✓
Richy Goal: ✓
Richy Hat-Trick:
Son Goal: ✓✓✓✓✓✓
Son Hat-Trick: ✓
Romero Worldie: ✓
100th+ Minute Winner: ✓
Goal After 30 Successive Passes:
Ange's Song Goes No.1:
Performances Maureen criticises without actually watching: ✓✓✓✓
PGMOL Assist: ✓
Klopp Excuses: ✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓

Points Difference compared to 22/23: +9

Highest possible league finish: 7th
Lowest possible league finish: 20th

Scientifically determined chance of top 7: 9.15%

Also, only 23 more points to go until safety

Not all bad from team whose...
:cool:Keeper is a "cheap option";
:cool:Full-backs are not full-backs but wing-backs who can't defend;
:cool: RCB is too rash and a walking yellow/red card;
:cool:LCB is too inexperienced to be a starter in the EPL;
:cool:DM is a flop (under Conte);
:cool:CM should have gone out on loan;
:cool:CAM is lazy and got an "attitude"
:cool:3 attackers who are not good enough

Last edited:
After 7 games last season we also had 17 points.
Had also scored 18 compared to 17 this season, and conceded 7 compared to 8 this season.

But when you take the comparative fixtures (replacing Burnley with Leicester & Sheff Utd with Leeds)
13 scored (4 fewer), 19 conceded (11 more) and 8 points (9 fewer).

So we are 9 points and 15 goal difference better off than the 'same' fixtures last season.

:skippcalm:

So after 7 games - including 3 games against ManU, Woolwich and Liverpool, who are usually top 4 rivals - we have 17 points, averaging 2.4 points per game (which would give us 92 points over 38 games) we are now 2nd, just a point behind top placed Man City.

That's after a Transfer Window where half of TFC 'experts' said it was worse than a 4 or 5 out of 10 window.

That despite signing Vicario, Van de Ven and Maddison plus of course a debut season for Udogie who was totally ignored last summer as he wasn't' joining Spurs last summer. Oddly pretty much every other clubs fans in PL think those players are one of the best in their position this season.

Not to mention Ange, who has somehow transformed Bissouma and Porro into the players we hoped we gad signed rather than the players they were last season.

And we've yet to see much of this seasons signings Johnson, Phillips and Veliz, the first of whom I think could still play a significant part this season whilst the latter two are clearly signed for the future.

I actually think Spurs have done fantastic business in buying talent over the last couple of years - mostly top players and maybe only one 'dud' per year which is phenomenal business.

Never change TFC - I now recall why I view a lot of the posts in transfer windows thread with some scepticism.

But I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season - typically playing one game a week should lead to minimum injuries, so anything is possible, and europe is certainly a possibility. Only question in my mind is 'top 5 and CL' or EL - either is possible but the former looks more likely atm.

To all other Spurs fans - Enjoy the rest of the season, I certainly will, and it could be one of our best for some years !

After 7 games last season we also had 17 points.
Had also scored 18 compared to 17 this season, and conceded 7 compared to 8 this season.

But when you take the comparative fixtures (replacing Burnley with Leicester & Sheff Utd with Leeds)
13 scored (4 fewer), 19 conceded (11 more) and 8 points (9 fewer).

So we are 9 points and 15 goal difference better off than the 'same' fixtures last season.

:skippcalm:

All without that Munich fella.

Back
Top Bottom