Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be fair to Skipp he's a bit of a level above 'not good enough' that Sess and especially White are. Imo, he almost has to stay at the club simply for squad reasons.

The thing with Skipp is that, for European competition, we must have 4 'club trained players': Champions League group stage squads, player registration deadlines: all you need to know | UEFA Champions League

"players who were on a club's books for three years between the ages of 15 and 21"

What this means is you can use 17 non-HG, 4 HG, and 4 'club trained'.

Since we've sold Tanganga, and obviously Harry Kane, we have 0 club trained first-team players outside of Skipp. Sure, we can use a youth keeper, and perhaps Scarlett/Dorrington/Donley etc will eventually qualify, but we NEED Skipp to stay at the club or else we will only be able to register a 21/22 person squad for UEFA competitions.

I understand that, I was simply commenting on the level of player and it justifying the balance of the squad.

Anyway, I digress, we should have been targeting the CB/LB/No.9 position.

- Udogie had a season in Serie A
- VDV had a season in Bundesliga
- Sarr had a season in Ligue 1

Pillips has played 8 games in the Championship and Veliz has never kicked a ball at any level in Europe.

That may well be the case but if either of them are given a chance and they impress they'll likely find themselves right in the mix...... (Particlarly because - as you pointed out - they both play in areas of relatively poor depth.)

This isn't Conte; where you play a blinder and then get dropped because you're not the oldest in your position in the squad.

That may well be the case but if either of them are given a chance and they impress they'll likely find themselves right in the mix...... (Particlarly because - as you pointed out - they both play in areas of relatively poor depth.)

This isn't Conte; where you play a blinder and then get dropped because you're not the oldest in your position in the squad.

That may be the thinking, I'm not sure. Has Veliz even trained with the first team? I've yet to see any photo of him after the shirt presentation...

He's not locked away in one of Levy's cells is he?

Regardless of tomorrow with ins/outs - I think we’ll look back in a year or two and say this was our best window in a long while.

Can’t remember bringing in 3 first xi starters in one window in quite a while.

Seems like the targets today will be Johnson, Gallagher, Tosin/Kelly.

None of them are blockbuster singings but I actually rate all those players and they’d go a long way to solving our HG issues and give us a lot more flexibility to bring in players in the next few windows.

More important than their individual quality, they are clear fits for Ange’s style.

Hope Levy doesn’t fuck this.

Fair play Ed. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Made me sputter my coffee down my nice white blouse you cad 😆
Spit Take GIF

Seems like the targets today will be Johnson, Gallagher, Tosin/Kelly.

None of them are blockbuster singings but I actually rate all those players and they’d go a long way to solving our HG issues and give us a lot more flexibility to bring in players in the next few windows.

More important than their individual quality, they are clear fits for Ange’s style.

Hope Levy doesn’t fuck this.
They do seem to provide a decent base that can we can continue to build on. We’ve neglected the HG issue for long enough and it was always going to bite us in the ass, especially combined with some of the underwhelming foreign players we’ve accumulated over the years.

Don’t really blame people for being underwhelmed though, we’re a big club, and should be able to do this a bit more gracefully, let alone in a window where we’ve sold Kane.

Johnson's done?

VDV wasn't 'out of nowhere'; we were rather publicly on the case for him since the window opened.
Obviously Johnson deal is a big asterisk at the moment but a portion of the Kane money will be used towards a winger/cb.

VDV deal cooled off then all of a sudden we agreed to terms? Did you think levy magically found the extra funds under his couch? Don’t be naive mate, the Kane deal was done and it was hushed by both sides so that we would not get taken to the cleaners by clubs demanding more money for targets.

As much as I hate Levy, I hadn’t ever considered he would make a signing of absolute fucking poverty like Lloyd Kelly - he is probably a nice bloke in real life and a hard working pro, but just his name alone is so uninspiring, he sounds like a dentist or an accountant, not the baller to sort our defence out.

Lloyd fucking Kelly, I thought Brighton gazumping us was bad, now we’re buying a player that Bournemouth fans boo

You fucking cunt Levy, I hope you shit a hedgehog

Did you not hear we are gazumping Bayern & Real Madrid for Kelly?

Happy Got You GIF by Bounce

Bah gawd, it's like Christmas morning.

:levywhoa:

In all seriousness, we've had desperation before that surely something will happen on deadline day only for rational actors like Ally Gold to piss on our chips and tell us we've closed shop for the window...

But that's not the case this time. Tomorrow is shaping up to be wild.

Partly, I understand that some players really are hard to shift out the door before near to the deadline. The other part, however, feels like we've left (apparently) key deals shamefully late. It doesn't feel unreasonable to assume that Levy actively gets off on this shit.

Ange will wake up this morning thinking , Levy shouldn’t, he wouldn’t, he couldn’t . By lunch time his enthusiasm will start to ebb away by the end of the day he will be totally disillusioned,

Can’t see Ned Kelly or whatever his name is lifting the gloom

Back
Top Bottom