Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is where Skipp bulking has let him down as well, you need that strong but slender core that he presently doesn’t have, making him more tank like turns and twists, relative.

Bentancur may well thrive as he is slender/twisty, but will his body recover, will he trust it enough, this season might be a sub role, but January for me, as CB and 2 Forwards first (maybe one forward and a 8).

Think Sarr should be Bissouma cover, but 8 otherwise. Skipp going 8 if Bissouma—> Sarr

Bentancur we don’t know. Some players like Ibrahimovic do an ACL and eat it for lunch coming back as strong immediately, others like VVD look half the player afterwards.

Then why haven't they signed? Trying to take important players at this stage in the window never works for us, it's Dybala all over again. Just Levy trying to pretend he tried.

If it's City or Liverpool, then the money and prestige can get the deals done late. With Levy's dicking around and our diminished status I don't see us pulling anything off. If we wanted a player like Gallagher he should have been signed weeks ago. He is starting every game for Chelsea now.
Our needs and the availability of those players have evolved over the course of the window.

Especially with Johnson, that's a guy we've had long term interest in. I don't agree, but I'm not employed as a football scout.

The thing the club is doing that is making this all a shitshow is trying to throw a donkey into every deal as part-exchange up until the bitter end.

Is he any good?
He came through the academy system at my local team Bristol City. Was well documented he had a tough childhood coming through the care system but he broke into the first team at Bristol City at a young age as a left back. Very quick and tidy on the ball. As he grew he started to play more as a CB then got a big money move to Bournemouth (Alex Scott has just followed the same path through the Bristol City system to 1st team is then onto Bournemouth for big money). Worth a punt as a squad player who is home grown and had/ has a high ceiling. Very impressive as a youngster the few times I saw him in person. Upgrade on Ben Davies 👍🏻

I do get that however to be fair he has been Chavs best midfielder start of this season and was great at Palace. He is a proper fighter, tough as nails type player with crazy energy and good goal scoring instincts. We could do a lot worse.

He won’t be as nice to watch though, if he covers Maddison he is more likely to smash his way to assists and goals than finesse his way to them.

App/Goal/Asst (since EPL debut- all comps):

23/24 - 4 - 0 - 0
22/23 - 45 - 3 - 1
21/22 - 39 - 8 - 3
20/21 - 32 - 2 - 2

I don't see him covering Maddison in any meaningful sense...... Just another PEH imo.

I do get that however to be fair he has been Chavs best midfielder start of this season and was great at Palace. He is a proper fighter, tough as nails type player with crazy energy and good goal scoring instincts. We could do a lot worse.

He won’t be as nice to watch though, if he covers Maddison he is more likely to smash his way to assists and goals than finesse his way to them.

Eze is my top pick but Gallagher is decent and shouldn’t be sniffed at.
This is literally a pin point hole in one description of what this guy is like as a player :ange-clap:

He said not so long ago he wanted another centre back and thats what we were aiming for. I'm pretty sure he didnt have Lloyd Kelly in mind. I'm sure when we soldKane he expected some good players in. He'll say all the right things in tbe next presser but if it goes tits up in the next 24 hours he's bound to be pissed off. Who knows what damage that does to any longer term vision? They really are such wankers, cant even back a new manager that has restored a bit of hope.
Why did t we at least just get Orban in fir £25M few weeks back. That link has been going on for weeks. Rather this last minute panic buying splunking over £100M on average HG players.
We couldn’t even get fati as for some reason he found de zirbi more appealing.

You forgot Lloyd Kelly

How Dare You Greta GIF

giphy.gif

Bentancur we don’t know. Some players like Ibrahimovic do an ACL and eat it for lunch coming back as strong immediately, others like VVD look half the player afterwards.
A lot down to how tight their nutrition and peripheral routines are, as you say Ibra known to be utterly dedicated and exacting (and utter self belief), no problem.

Bentancur, whilst not of that level, appears one to be highly dedicated, just concern that Ange midfields need to be dynamic and twisty turny it seems, do have concern he won’t trust his body enough to impose it (to be fair it looked like he completely over wound for the World Cup, as he went into his best form going into it, by far). Should be seen as a happy bonus to the squad if he makes it back to former level.

Was speaking to my Forest supporting neighbour towards the end of last season.

My prediction to him was Kane goes to Utd, then we bring in players from relegated clubs, namely Maddison, Bamford and Ward-Prowse if he doesn't replace Rice at West Ham.

I suggested Forest would stay up otherwise we would bring in Johnson, which genuinely annoyed him. I certainly haven't studied his play, but he was basically saying he knows they won't be able to hold onto him, but another couple of years would do him good etc. He was gutted to hear there were even ideas of him leaving, which was enough for me to think - probably worth a punt then.

When fans that watch every game don't want a player to leave, it's usually a good sign. So I'm all for Johnson even though I have probably seen him play fewer than 600 minutes personally.

To all of you pissing your panties about Liverpool signing Gravenberch...

Be honest, had you even heard of him when you got up this morning, let alone seen him play five minutes of football?

You'd have a point with a lot, probably even most, that we're linked with/that Pool sign from outside the PL, to be fair.

In this case, most following not just the PL knew about him even before Bayern.

To all of you pissing your panties about Liverpool signing Gravenberch...

Be honest, had you even heard of him when you got up this morning, let alone seen him play five minutes of football?
I'd heard quite a bit about him as a massive talent, and watched a bit of Bayern and a lot of Holland at the World Cup, neither one opting to put him on the field.

The hype was similar to Eduardo Camavinga. The results so far have been anything but.

Back
Top Bottom