Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
if angie wants to blow all our money on David or Johnson over the cheaper orban. Then thats fine, think he's already earnt everyone's trust
no he hasn't. A manager can be great tactically and for the morale of the team but that doesn't mean he's got a good eye for talent.

Poch showed that already.

We need to recruit after properly scouting players for ability, tatical fit and character.

I definitely take that point, about his off ball work, but I would just hope it’s something that can be worked on, as I don’t think he’s inherently lazy.

What’s Johnson’s off ball work like? I genuinely haven’t paid much attention to it.

He probably isn't. I don't think Son is particularly lazy, but he's not effective in his closing down. Too easy for United to progress the ball down their right side (first half at least)

I think Jonhson will put in a shift but it's not easy to tell from Forests games. The front three are just asked to get back to their deep positions, from there not work too hard and then be ready to counter

no he hasn't. A manager can be great tactically and for the morale of the team but that doesn't mean he's got a good eye for talent.

Poch showed that already.

We need to recruit after properly scouting players for ability, tatical fit and character.

Yes he has.

He should have absolutely the final say over who we sign.

End of.

Orban 30M
Eze 70M
Tosin 20M

120M, we got 100 for Kane… okay the eze money is steep but the boy has incredible talent.

Let’s also remember we should get

25-30 for PEH
5-10 for Dier
5-10 for Sanchez
5-10 for Ndombele
10-15 for Reguilon
0-5 for Lloris
5-10 for Tanganga
10-15 for Spence

Even being quite conservative that’s 70M plus 10 for Winks..

We’d break even! I get it, it’s not football manager we’d prob need to keep one of Dier/Sanchez and some will be hard to shift (Reg) but nothing there is hugely unreasonable.

We have to get a move on with these outs..

would he be a good fit for us in your opinion?
Lille sold Osimhen and won the league the next season with David.

He’s quick, extremely two footed, can play anywhere across the front 3, can drop in or run in behind, he creates and scores goals.

I don’t think he has elite potential (Osimhen, Haaland, Kane) but he will be a level behind.

My favourite things are:
- 2 footed
- great composure, time slows down for him in the box…I’ve seen him sit keepers down
- his attitude. He is hard on himself and works very hard and is humble and self-effacing. Maybe similar to son or Kane in that respect.

I honestly can’t think of someone better to bring in. He’s perfect for us. But again … no one we could get would ever be a « Kane replacement ».

I think this Lo Celso story may be nonsense- it’s so easy to write that speculatively just after he’s been dropped.

GLC hasn't been "dropped". Since when was he 1st choice for anything?

Maddison injury means GLC will likely start the next two matches- let’s see how he plays and his attitude and base out judgment on that rather than a random Spanish media outlet.

Maddison injury confirmed?

Last edited:
Crazy there's been 0 movement post Kane sale.

I wonder when it's acceptable to be concerned according to the forum police?

1 week before deadline day?
I've been concerned for 5 years now, acceptable or not!

Stressed Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons

Why not? Honestly?

Because he’s a bit crap? Hard to judge on the International scene but he looked no better than any of the other Canadian players at the World Cup. There was no spark at all and before you say but he plays for Canada… likewise Bale played for a woeful Welsh side yet he always stood out.

David doesn’t have any stand out qualities, he can hold the ball up and he’s good at penalties but he’s got average finishing, he’s not particularly quick and he lacks those moments of brilliance which in the EPL can be the difference between 1 and 3 points. At a reported €70m? no chance. Look at Openda, he would have been ideal yet he went to Leipzig for €38m… David isn’t worth nearly double what Openda went for.

Best not read the latest SC update… we’ll be lucky to get anyone if it’s true that Levy only wants to spend money we bring in which looks like a no go since we’re struggling to shift players

Because he’s a bit crap? Hard to judge on the International scene but he looked no better than any of the other Canadian players at the World Cup. There was no spark at all and before you say but he plays for Canada… likewise Bale played for a woeful Welsh side yet he always stood out.

David doesn’t have any stand out qualities, he can hold the ball up and he’s good at penalties but he’s got average finishing, he’s not particularly quick and he lacks those moments of brilliance which in the EPL can be the difference between 1 and 3 points. At a reported €70m? no chance. Look at Openda, he would have been ideal yet he went to Leipzig for €38m… David isn’t worth nearly double what Openda went for.
70m is a lot, I agree.

How many times have you seen him play? Which games?

55m seems pretty damned expensive... I've never seen him play. He really worth that?

I don't know, because it sounds like a huge amount of money for anyone! But we paid more for Richarlison and much less for Sarr and Udogie. I just have such a hard time valuing players, that I couldn't really say.

Although, scoring is what the game is all about, and the hardest thing to do. To me (and I'm sure that bunch of posters will say "thank god you're not running the club!"), I'd pay for a guy who can put the ball in the net.

Orban 30M
Eze 70M
Tosin 20M

120M, we got 100 for Kane… okay the eze money is steep but the boy has incredible talent.

Let’s also remember we should get

25-30 for PEH
5-10 for Dier
5-10 for Sanchez
5-10 for Ndombele
10-15 for Reguilon
0-5 for Lloris
5-10 for Tanganga
10-15 for Spence

Even being quite conservative that’s 70M plus 10 for Winks..

We’d break even! I get it, it’s not football manager we’d prob need to keep one of Dier/Sanchez and some will be hard to shift (Reg) but nothing there is hugely unreasonable.

We have to get a move on with these outs..

You're conservative on outgoings, but also on Eze imo. With the growing list of CMs going for 100m+ I struggle to see CP accepting anything near 70m for the heartbeat of their team.

I am getting the feeling of inertia right now and it is a scary one indeed. We will definitely send some players out on last minute loans/cheap transfers and maybe get a CB in… but 10 days to shift 6-7 players and bring in multiple more feels like lunacy given our previous history.

Back
Top Bottom