Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
No problems? The whole process saw people face criminal charges and a swathe of FIFA sackings.

Infantino did a smooth-over job after the shit storm, but as far as the bidding process goes; as I already said, they couldn't pull that stunt twice in such quick succession.
the criminal charges and sackings were in-part a fallout of the 2011 Fifa presidential election between blatter and some qatari guy. That let the cat out of the bag, the agencies started buzzing and Blatter set up that Ethics committee. Remember, earlier, Germany got away with corruption, so did South Africa.

Also, "officially", Russia and Qatar were absolved as well. So, neither states(and other states as well) care if a bunch of Fifa execs messed up. The rest of the fifa elite will simply shrug them off as fools and make mental notes to not spoil the broth.

The whole point of a Fifa WC, to me, seems to be projection of a nation's soft power. I don't expect the execs of fifa and various federations to give up that power of swaying decisions in your favour in exchange for a few million dollars

His transfer fee was listed as 50m ish.

The agent fees, back door payments and bonuses offered to player (some outside his official salary via off shore shenanigans) took that transfer way above 150m

The 50m was just for FFP bullshitting.

Sorry but how the fuck would you even know any of the details like that?

The disagrees are from shareholders worried to lose on dividends and/or share value collapse. They are defo not club supporters looking for trophies and success on the pitch.
Who the fuck are you to state as fact your (incorrect) opinion of my reasoning for disagreeing with that post?

As I'm sure you know perfectly well, there are many posters who see simple lists of net spend as misleading, deliberately ignoring various key factors of context as they do. Let's not discuss that detail here, as it's been discussed a thousand times all over this forum, but it has nothing to do with my personal investments (none of which happen to be in THFC). People are entitled to disagree with each other about how this football club should be run.

ICYMI:

"We just can't keep bringing players in, we need to move some players out. That's where our focus is right now," said the Spurs boss.

"Over the next three weeks what we don't want to do is have it all happen really late in the window which means we're caught short in any areas. It's got to work that way. We can't just keep accumulating players. We've got a massive squad as it is at the moment and we need to work on that."

Palace will hoover up a load of Championship and lesser Euro leagues potential and then next year flog one of them for silly money to Man United - they tend to be good at it although they can’t identify a decent striker to save their lives
It’s not that they’re good at it…. More that top championship prospects aren’t good enough for top 6 clubs to start enough games

The development path is then naturally the tier below… palace / spam / Bournemouth

The ones that make it naturally become 50m HG prem proven players

ICYMI:

"We just can't keep bringing players in, we need to move some players out. That's where our focus is right now," said the Spurs boss.

"Over the next three weeks what we don't want to do is have it all happen really late in the window which means we're caught short in any areas. It's got to work that way. We can't just keep accumulating players. We've got a massive squad as it is at the moment and we need to work on that."

Exactly the quotes I was talking about.

Only, another week has gone and no further departures so there is a stalemate.

At what point does it become too late?

The disagrees are from shareholders worried to lose on dividends and/or share value collapse. They are defo not club supporters looking for trophies and success on the pitch.

If I donate some of my share dividends to you, do you promise to go back to school to see if they can't breach that thick layer of wax surrounding your brain?

If the cash isn't enough to get the job done, I promise to start a crowd-fund for you...... This is just tragic to witness tbh. No-one should have to struggle through life like you are.

The PL will not follow the American model. Unless a new global league is formed. Even then, who would want to travel to Saudi 6-7 hours to play a game of football.
NBA/NHL clubs routinely travel similar amounts (not that the Saudi clubs will be in a super league, the Saudis will just be financially invested in it).

It's all about money. Free market capitalism tends to concentrate assets into smaller and smaller circles. It's been the inevitable end state for football since the first advertising board went up. You could argue, it became inevitable the day players became professionals.

Didn't he buy a load of crap for Barca? Probably why Levy wants him, he will fit in well here
Nope, he didn't.
They weren't great either but he was on a very tight budget and for the money he had at his disposal he did ok.
Below are his signings.

Marcos Alonso,
Jules Koundé, Andreas Christensen, Eric Garcia,
Dani Alves,
Franck Kessie,
Memphis Depay, Adama Traore (loan deal), Ferran Torres,
Robert Lewandowski, Luuk de Jong,
Raphinha

Nope, he didn't.
They weren't great either but he was on a very tight budget and for the money he had at his disposal he did ok.
Below are his signings.

Marcos Alonso,
Jules Koundé, Andreas Christensen, Eric Garcia,
Dani Alves,
Franck Kessie,
Memphis Depay, Adama Traore (loan deal), Ferran Torres,
Robert Lewandowski, Luuk de Jong,
Raphinha
That's pretty meh.

We want the DOF in the day after the transfer window closes. Say no more.

The PL will not follow the American model. Unless a new global league is formed. Even then, who would want to travel to Saudi 6-7 hours to play a game of football.
Fewer teams, more hours travel but less often.

Most countries don't have the same travelling support as UK /Germany.

NBA/NHL clubs routinely travel similar amounts (not that the Saudi clubs will be in a super league, the Saudis will just be financially invested in it).

It's all about money. Free market capitalism tends to concentrate assets into smaller and smaller circles. It's been the inevitable end state for football since the first advertising board went up. You could argue, it became inevitable the day players became professionals.
The way things are going now - Qatar and Saudi owing several EPL clubs and clubs like PSG - I wouldn't totally dismiss that possibility... Money talks.

Back
Top Bottom