What would constitute a positive season next year?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The harsh reality is that we have absolutely blown a period when we had a proper decent chance of becoming one of the genuine big clubs.

Now we’re so far behind City, Dippers, Yanited, Chavs, Woolwich, Newcastle…

That period when Poch worked miracles as we navigated leaving WHL through Wembley and back to NWHL… somehow getting consistent top 4 positions and the CL dream run… that was our chance and our moment but we got tight and complacent.

We failed to invest properly and we will never get a chance like that for generations. We will never have the luxury of a Spurs-loving home grown talent like Kane for generations.

Levy and Co. have fucked up by monumental proportions.

Mid-table top 8 at best.

Anyone who thinks we can still compete for top 4 or trophies had clown shoes.
Shoes Walk GIF

I think that the club itself will consider getting back within the top 6, a limit on embarrassing defeats (esp. vs rivals) and no shocking exits to rubbish teams in the cup to be a good starting season for Ange.

Quarterfinal of CL...

Er... Ummm...

Winning Europa...

Uh... Nope...

Winning the mighty Conference League...

Oh fuck it...

Not getting relegated!

Top 6. Will accept top half if we show signs of improvement.
A deep cup run.
A couple of wins against top 4 teams. Or at the very least some good performances in big games.
Entertaining football.
Young players being given opportunities.

And we can build from there. As long as Ange course-corrects then he'll have my support.

Top 6. Will accept top half if we show signs of improvement.
A deep cup run.
A couple of wins against top 4 teams. Or at the very least some good performances in big games.
Entertaining football.
Young players being given opportunities.

And we can build from there. As long as Ange course-corrects then he'll have my support.
I think the last two are probably the most important (besides a respectable, say top 7 finish). We've suffered some genuinely dreadful turgid football the last 4 or 5 years and getting back to playing the 'right way' is critical.

We also really need to see some of the promising youngsters being given a shot at the right time - our approach to showing the youngsters that there's a credible path to the first team has been criminal and we've lost some real talent as a result. We're not the sort of club that can afford to do that and we really need three or four of the current crop to become regulars in the squad on merit. They can't do that if there's not given an opportunity and shown patience

A positive season would be us reaching a domestic cup final and, making a genuine challenge for Top 4.

We were 11 points behind top 4 last season - and that in a season which was a disaster. Turn around 4 results, and we are back in it.

We've got the addition Lo Celso, Udogie, Maddison. Bentencuar should be back for the 2nd half of the season. Romero, Kulu, Richy, Son and Bissouma are recovered from their injuries and we look to be playing a style that the players will enjoy.

I haven't followed Tottenham closely since the AVB period so I'm only basing my opinion on what I've seen so far in preseason and from the results last year. Positives:
  • Improve the style of play so that supporters enjoy watching their club play
  • Improve the squad so that they are building a squad to challenge for the league/cups in 2024-25
  • Qualify for Europe (hopefully UCL)
  • Go deep into Cup competitions (semis).

A positive season would be us reaching a domestic cup final and, making a genuine challenge for Top 4.

We were 11 points behind top 4 last season - and that in a season which was a disaster. Turn around 4 results, and we are back in it.

We've got the addition Lo Celso, Udogie, Maddison. Bentencuar should be back for the 2nd half of the season. Romero, Kulu, Richy, Son and Bissouma are recovered from their injuries and we look to be playing a style that the players will enjoy.
Arguably it took bentacuar best part of a season?ish to get to the level he was playing at pre injury , in a system he was bought specifically for,
Ide be pleasantly surprised if we saw the same high levels he consistently performed at much before the end of the season, if at all. There's a very good Chance when he returns It'll be a completely new system and a new way of playing .. unfortunately time and tide in the prem has a habit of waiting for no one.

Surely ending the season without sacking a manager is the benchmark of improvement? It’s been what, five years since that last happened which is a clear indicator that the exec board are utterly clueless and not fit for purpose.

Just an unbelievable state of affairs and I’m not convinced Ange will be here in May (not a slight on his ability at all but the recent trend of Levy’s gross mismanagement can’t be ignored). I’m expecting Mason before March, and a relegation dogfight

I haven't followed Tottenham closely since the AVB period so I'm only basing my opinion on what I've seen so far in preseason and from the results last year. Positives:
  • Improve the style of play so that supporters enjoy watching their club play
  • Improve the squad so that they are building a squad to challenge for the league/cups in 2024-25
  • Qualify for Europe (hopefully UCL)
  • Go deep into Cup competitions (semis).
All that wouldn't represent an improvement.

It would represent a miracle.

I think the last two are probably the most important (besides a respectable, say top 7 finish). We've suffered some genuinely dreadful turgid football the last 4 or 5 years and getting back to playing the 'right way' is critical.

We also really need to see some of the promising youngsters being given a shot at the right time - our approach to showing the youngsters that there's a credible path to the first team has been criminal and we've lost some real talent as a result. We're not the sort of club that can afford to do that and we really need three or four of the current crop to become regulars in the squad on merit. They can't do that if there's not given an opportunity and shown patience
What promising youngsters? Devine is the only one that’s shown potential.

Somehow qualifying for Europe

Not getting knocked out of the FA cup by a Championship side after resting half our first team

Break even on goal difference

Ticket prices not increasing mid season

Daniel Levy stubbing his toe at every faaacking home game

I would say “try and win a trophy” but didn’t want to get carried away

Back
Top Bottom