Could the high line actually be our biggest tactical problem?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So I've been thinking about the issue of how Spurs seem to control so many games without truly threatening opponents over the weekend- what I've come up with is a theory that AVB's high line theory is both a blessing and a curse.

At the heart of it, the high line, hard-pressing strategy is all about achieving control through the compression of space- we fence the opponents in to their half, force them to turn over the ball over and over in that area, prevent ourselves from being overexposed in midfield and stop the opposition from creating much in our half. In many respects, this is a provident strategy, as it's been a key reason why we've conceded some of the fewest shots on goal of all of the sides in the Premier League in 2013.

The problem comes when opponents start to bunker down against us, which is now happening pretty much on a weekly basis. When the other team doesn't come out to play as we fence them back, the space starts to become a little too compressed- most importantly, it means players like Soldado, who thrive off of those little pockets to get volleys away, don't really have anything to work with. This is the heart of 'domination without threat'- turnovers in the opponents half and transitions become irrelevant, because we have no room to do anything with the possession we hold on to.

In these situations, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best for AVB to ease up the high line- sit back, invite opponents on to us a little bit. Then torch them on the counter with our wing play. In theory, squad members like Townsend, Soldado and Paulinho, all 'space players', should really thrive off of this approach. I'm not saying we ditch the high line for good- I just don't see the point of dogmatically sticking to it when it's very much playing into our opponent's hands to push up. If we want to start putting a gloss of goals on to our decent weekly stats, I think we have to let matches breathe a bit, take the risk of allowing play to become more open. Then, when the time is right, apply the high line and compression tactics to seal out wins.

I think the heart of what made Spurs so entertaining under Redknapp was that cavalier tendency to play a really low block and create acres of space around the pitch for the Rafas and Modrics to playmake in and for speedy lads like Bale and Walker to sprint into. Obviously, that approach isn't really sustainable and lead to us shipping far more goals than we do now- but maybe the timely injection of it into certain games will make us less turgid and help us to turn domination into goals.

TL;DR- currently under AVB we're sometimes guilty of compressing space too much, and we're making life too hard for ourselves when our opponents don't turn up and play. I don't think we should ditch the high line, but I think sometimes it would be appropriate ease it up, open up the pitch, take a few more risks and hit opponents on the counter.

Mix it up, Andre.

Good post. The high line has helped in those moments when a team is attacking and they are offside when you don't expect it, especially noticed this against Villa when they were full steam attack and it deflated them somewhat.

Of course when you play against a team like Spam with no forwards then counter-attacking may be a better way. Yesterday we had Townsend, Defoe and Lennon up front at some point and I was rubbing my hands in expectation.

Good post. The high line has helped in those moments when a team is attacking and they are offside when you don't expect it, especially noticed this against Villa when they were full steam attack and it deflated them somewhat.

Of course when you play against a team like Spam with no forwards then counter-attacking may be a better way. Yesterday we had Townsend, Defoe and Lennon up front at some point and I was rubbing my hands in expectation.

Yes, well put. I think the game against Chelsea also highlighted the best and worst of the high line. In the first half, when both teams were going all-out, the high line, 'in their face' approach meant we outgunned them and scored first. When Mourinho switched his tactics up at half-time however, pulling Chelsea back a bit, inviting the pressure on to his side, and then burning us on the counter (in essence turning Chelsea into an executive version of the kind of bunker sides we face every week now), it allowed them right back in to the game. Under those circumstances, continuing to push up at them became nonsensical, because Mourinho wasn't in the mood for trying to lock horns any more- Chelsea just absorbed all the pressure, Soldado and then Defoe had no space to work, and then Schurrle kept burning us in transitions.

As much as it galls me to say it, AVB could learn a thing or two from Mourinho's approach to that game- namely, the importance of being flexible with how you approach the pressing game. When an opponent like Villa, Palace et al. are bunkering down against us, don't keep throwing the kitchen sink at them and wasting possession. Sucker them into sticking their neck out a bit, then decapitate them.

Good observation about the high line. While it has obviously helped us since AVB took over, there were also moments when using a high line proved to be detrimental to us. It just comes to show that AVB needs to be more flexible with his tactics, i have all the faith in him nevertheless.

Basically, you want us to do what Pep's teams do

Maybe not taking risks of that size in terms of inviting the opponents on to us. As I say, I'd just like to see us let the game breathe a bit more occasionally. Open up their midfield, make them commit men forward. Give Holtby/Eriksen a bit of space to operate in. Stretch them on the wings and allow Soldado and Paulinho to burst into the area to put the finishes in. Think about some of our best moments in our CL run- Bale's hattrick and performance vs. Inter at the Lane, Crouch's goal against Milan. All came from easing back a bit and making it hurt the opponents when they stuck their neck out.

I don't want us to become a low-block, countering team again- I'm actually fine with the high line as a default strategy. I just think occasionally we need to deviate from the norm, from the endless pressing, if we're going to probe apart some of our more stubborn opponents.

Certainly every team we've played this season has sat so deep that the space between back 4 and keeper is all of about 3 yards, gives a player like Soldado nothing to work with.

Look at the difference in the first hour and the last 20 minutes yesterday. Villa were forced to come forwards by conceding, which allowed us to consistently find space in their half and we created several chances as a result.

Certainly every team we've played this season has sat so deep that the space between back 4 and keeper is all of about 3 yards, gives a player like Soldado nothing to work with.

Look at the difference in the first hour and the last 20 minutes yesterday. Villa were forced to come forwards by conceding, which allowed us to consistently find space in their half and we created several chances as a result.

Bingo. The thing is, we won't always get the first goal that forces them to play more openly. Sometimes, we need to embolden them and let them make their own mistakes.

Great post, your posts are always thought-provoking, mate.

Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. Aside from West Ham - which we have to see as a blip (ugh, the lack of pressure on the ball for goal two, and Vertonghen, Dembele and Dawson committing themselves for goal three still hurt me) - we've looked very, very compact, solid, organised, and 10 clean sheets in 13 games suggests to me that the high line is working from a defensive viewpoint.

At the other end, I think AVB puts a lot of faith in our players (rightly or wrongly) to play in tight spaces, and we mostly have players technically good enough to do that - see Paulinho's perfect first-time assist for Soldado yesterday for an example.

Also, when you look at how Bale, and now Townsend have played, there's still space to be had - it just depends on other players helping to create it. I don't think our deep midfield help us by carrying the ball forward. In doing so, they just encourage an even more congested central region as they are pressed in the opponents' half, and also put pressure on themselves to find an eye of a needle pass - and let's be honest, neither Dembele or Paulinho have that in their locker, or certainly not the ability to do it more often than not.

The key is to pass the ball quickly and early - to get it to the front 4 as soon as we win it back. I think Sandro will be vital in this - he doesn't dally. He wins the ball high up the pitch with his incredible pressing, and looks to offload it ASAP. The others need to learn a thing or two from that.

I think Villa caused their own problems by going more narrow in the second half, and therefore stopping the effective doubling up on Townsend.

Great post, your posts are always thought-provoking, mate.

Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. Aside from West Ham - which we have to see as a blip (ugh, the lack of pressure on the ball for goal two, and Vertonghen, Dembele and Dawson committing themselves for goal three still hurt me) - we've looked very, very compact, solid, organised, and 10 clean sheets in 13 games suggests to me that the high line is working from a defensive viewpoint.

At the other end, I think AVB puts a lot of faith in our players (rightly or wrongly) to play in tight spaces, and we mostly have players technically good enough to do that - see Paulinho's perfect first-time assist for Soldado yesterday for an example.

Also, when you look at how Bale, and now Townsend have played, there's still space to be had - it just depends on other players helping to create it. I don't think our deep midfield help us by carrying the ball forward. In doing so, they just encourage an even more congested central region as they are pressed in the opponents' half, and also put pressure on themselves to find an eye of a needle pass - and let's be honest, neither Dembele or Paulinho have that in their locker, or certainly not the ability to do it more often than not.

The key is to pass the ball quickly and early - to get it to the front 4 as soon as we win it back. I think Sandro will be vital in this - he doesn't dally. He wins the ball high up the pitch with his incredible pressing, and looks to offload it ASAP. The others need to learn a thing or two from that.

Agree with a lot of this. I also think a big part of how Harry's low-block tactics were so successful were to do with Modric, who has a once-a-generation level of ability when it comes to receiving the ball deep and circulating it forwards in counter attacks (contrast with what you rightly say about Paulinho and Dembele). Could AVB consistently play a lower-block system without that sort of player in his squad, even if he wanted to? Potentially not.

I do agree that the positive outweigh the negatives generally with the high-line; I'm very proud of our records of shots conceded (or rather, lack of) under Villas-Boas. As I say though, people often talk of AVB not having a reserve 'plan B', and the more I think about it, the more I feel easing off the throttle and opening the pitch might be it.

I think Villa caused their own problems by going more narrow in the second half, and therefore stopping the effective doubling up on Townsend.

Our first goal was very lucky......after that Villa had to commit men forward - not even they could just defend to see out a 0-1 home defeat

Ultimately the same would've happened against West Ham if Defoe had taken his chance in the 46th minute

Agree with a lot of this. I also think a big part of how Harry's low-block tactics were so successful were to do with Modric, who has a once-a-generation level of ability when it comes to receiving the ball deep and circulating it forwards in counter attacks. Could AVB consistently play a lower-block system without that sort of player in his squad, even if he wanted to? Potentially not.

I do agree that the positive outweigh the negatives generally with the high-line; I'm very proud of our records of shots conceded (or rather, lack of) under Villas-Boas. As I say though, people often talk of AVB not having a reserve 'plan B', and the more I think about it, the more I feel easing off the throttle and opening the pitch might be it.

Did you see the article I wrote the other day? Inspired by our conversation: http://windycoys.com/2013/10/villas-boas-needs-to-find-a-plan-b/

I think that's a reasonable shout at a plan B - although I think it can be more simple. I.e. when you're struggling to break teams down, take off a holder, drop Eriksen or Holtby a little deeper, and bring on another creative force. Or at times take off a full back and put on a slightly more attacking player - I think Lennon for Walker could become a really useful sub when we're looking for a goal, for example. Not sure it's a good idea to change your entire defensive philosophy necessarily - it might lead to more confusion than anything else.

Mix it up

I think you've summed it up perfectly in those 3 words. Townsend yesterday, and for England during the week was excellent because he varied his approach. Sometimes taking on the full back and whipping in a cross and sometimes cutting inside and going for a shot.

I think it was during the first match against Tiblisi where we discussed this in the match chat. As soon as we hit them with pace down the flanks the goals started coming. Whereas when the wingers were cutting inside and going for shots, they just clogged the middle of the pitch and took away any space to operate in.

The key is not to become predictable.

There have been times when it would almost seem a natural inclination to drop deeper, which means the players are obviously sticking rigidly to AVB's instructions, which is a good thing, it shows a respect and understanding of that system.

AVB has displayed in the past a willingness to evolve as a manager, and this is the task he is now faced with, and more so at home where I could even see City or Woolwich deploying a much deeper game whilst being far more potent than West Ham.

Back
Top Bottom