Chiricheș at Left Back?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The idea came to me while playing Fifa... I'll disclaim the idea by saying that I know Fifa formations do not translate to tangible formations in real life, but, here is my thought process-

In Fifa 14, our only left back is Danny Rose, an overall rating of 73. While playing around with the roster, I was looking more in depth at Chiriches ratings (overall of 75). He has above average pace for a CB (according to Fifa 14). From the little I've seen of him (both in a Spurs kit and youtube highlight reels from his Beurachrest days), I have the impression of a very skillful on the ball defender. I remember in his first Spurs interview, the interviewer complimented him on his ball skills and passing vision, and asked if he had ever considered a move up into the midfield. Chiriches wasn't too adamant about the idea, and asserted that he was a defender at heart.

So, the deductive reasoning for me is- we have a need at left back. Chiriches may be listed as a CB, but by my elementary evaluation and Fifa's ratings- he has all the necessary tools to be a formidable LB- the pace to bring the ball up the pitch, marking to defend, on the ball skills in tight situations, and vision to move the ball into the midfield or perhaps a long ball up the wing to Siggy or Chadlii or Lamela (whoever our 'starting' LM is, another conversation for another thread).

So, just a thought I'd pose to the group. Coentrao or the LB kid from Bundesliga (forget his name) may be the best long term solution to give Danny Rose some competition, but for now, do you think AVB would consider giving Chiriches some time at LB? He's young and could convert to be a primary LB. The prospect is aided by Kaboul one day coming back from injury, and will be looking for some playing time.

The idea came to me while playing Fifa...
ZkRcrsx.jpg

It can work, but it is similar to playing Vertonghen there. Personally I think we should be playing Fryers more considering we put Benny out on loan. It is pretty pointless having them both behind Naughton.

The best thing to do would be keep the "I got this idea from playing FIFA" stuff out of your post - immediately you'll get laughed at.

My nephew talks about football all day long but knows so little about the real life version of his favourite team (the chavs, despite my efforts to sort him out), that he thinks Willian is a number 9, doesn't really know who actually plays for them currently, and asked me what the score was in the game at the Lane a full seven hours after the game had finished. He talks about players based in their FIFA ratings, too. I tell you this story to illustrate to you the company you put yourself in, when you talk about players based on their FIFA ratings :paulinhofacepalm:

Dunno about Chiriches at left back, any thoughts @ Dan D Dan D ?

The issue we have with rose missing is lacking attacking balance, we need a left footed player overlapping down the left or our attacking play becomes too congested with every attacking player bar walker wanting to cut inside.

Chiriches is right footed so won't solve the issue. If he had more games under his belt or if Kaboul were fit then vertonghen would have played lb on Sunday IMO

I once bought a bed that looked exactly the same as one in the Sims. Ingame it had comfort 10 but in real life I'll rate it a 6. That was the moment I decided I would never compare games to real life.

The problem with Naughton is he is right footed. I think he's good enough in most aspects of his game, but he's played on the wrong side. He can't cross it easily after making overlapping runs, balls down the line are made more difficult. Chiriches is right footed as far as I'm aware, so the same problems would occur.

EDIT: Read the other posts now, pretty much what @ Blanchflower Blanchflower said. Also "that Bundesliga LB kid"? You mean Alaba, arguably the best LB in the world atm?

Now if only we could buy all the players in the world with pace and stick them in our squad, we would score for fun, just like with FIFA.

The problem with Naughton is he is right footed. I think he's good enough in most aspects of his game, but he's played on the wrong side. He can't cross it easily after making overlapping runs, balls down the line are made more difficult. Chiriches is right footed as far as I'm aware, so the same problems would occur.

EDIT: Read the other posts now, pretty much what @ Blanchflower Blanchflower said. Also "that Bundesliga LB kid"? You mean Alaba, arguably the best LB in the world atm?
there is no argument, it's a fact.

@ S.L.R S.L.R no ,he never played there (just LCB,RCB) and in case of emergency,RB and DM ,but very rare...and like LB will be a big surprise for me,if AVB decide to play with him there...so i think he will be ineffective like LB

Last edited:
He's a right footed player. This would again kill our left side once again. The way AVB has played a 4-3-3, generally, one right and left footed player per side. This would force Townsend or Lamela to play LW. Its also more difficult for an outside back to go on the inside rather the outside. I'm more open to Vertonghen play LB than Chirirches.

Back
Top Bottom