Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's because you are demanding a different bar to be cleared from critics compared to ENIC supporters.

Which was exactly what my post was about.

I don't understand.

First of all, I doubt there's even such thing as a hardcore "ENIC Supporter". If there was a gathering of ENIC Fans outside the stadium with "I HEART DANIEL" signs outside the stadium I'd think they were very odd people and I'm sure they'd get some very odd looks.

I honestly deeply don't believe that the majority of this fanbase thinks about themselves in the terms of ENIC In or ENIC Out which is what I've been saying all along. There are however a very clear set of ENIC Outers, and that's a perfectly reasonable stance to have but I think the ones who are angry enough to protest are in a very small minority for now. Maybe it's growing, the songs have been heard loud and clear at away matches, not really so much at home though. But there's no clear breakthrough to turn that into a proper protest.

And I'm afraid that the ENIC Out lot do have a higher bar to clear, because they're the ones demanding something change. If there is such a thing as an "ENIC Supporter", well they don't have to do anything. ENIC are already here and don't look like going anytime soon. They have no reason to go out, protest, make themselves heard.

Yeah, exactly.

People want ENIC out. Most of this fanbase I'd wager. But someone needs to be REALLY angry to go out and protest over something as silly as football. It's just not important enough to 90% of people's lives to justify going out and standing in the cold for hours.

Most people don't even protest over actual issues like a cost of living crisis FFS.
Which is what I said. If you were to ask all 60,000 on Sunday if they'd rather have new owners I am confident most would say "yes I would". But I'm afraid that's different to have an opinion on the matter strong enough to protest, or even join a protest that was already going on outside the stadium.

If people who are fully ENIC Out want to grow that protest and movement though they need to do better than calling those who don't protest "ENIC Cucks" or whatever though. It's not a persuasive argument.

Which is what I said. If you were to ask all 60,000 on Sunday if they'd rather have new owners I am confident most would say "yes I would". But I'm afraid that's different to have an opinion on the matter strong enough to protest, or even join a protest that was already going on outside the stadium.

If people who are fully ENIC Out want to grow that protest and movement though they need to do better than calling those who don't protest "ENIC Cucks" or whatever though. It's not a persuasive argument.

You can't persuade a single ENIC in supporter. Arguments won't change anybody's minds on this topic.

The only thing that will change people's minds is the results getting worse. We're not shit enough to get people out there or to turn the people on here who are very pro-ENIC against them.

So may as well just call them ENIC cucks and have a laugh.

I don't understand.

First of all, I doubt there's even such thing as a hardcore "ENIC Supporter". If there was a gathering of ENIC Fans outside the stadium with "I HEART DANIEL" signs outside the stadium I'd think they were very odd people and I'm sure they'd get some very odd looks.

I honestly deeply don't believe that the majority of this fanbase thinks about themselves in the terms of ENIC In or ENIC Out which is what I've been saying all along. There are however a very clear set of ENIC Outers, and that's a perfectly reasonable stance to have but I think the ones who are angry enough to protest are in a very small minority for now. Maybe it's growing, the songs have been heard loud and clear at away matches, not really so much at home though. But there's no clear breakthrough to turn that into a proper protest.

And I'm afraid that the ENIC Out lot do have a higher bar to clear, because they're the ones demanding something change. If there is such a thing as an "ENIC Supporter", well they don't have to do anything. ENIC are already here and don't look like going anytime soon. They have no reason to go out, protest, make themselves heard.

You think, doubt and believe a lot of things.

I just quietly rather refer to an actual poll, a poll on this particular website which just goes "in" or "out". Again. Which may or may no be represensative of the local or global supporterbase, but which tells a completely different picture to the one you paint of our support.

You think, doubt and believe a lot of things.

I just quietly rather refer to an actual poll, a poll on this particular website which just goes "in" or "out". Again. Which may or may no be represensative of the local or global supporterbase, but which tells a completely different picture to the one you paint of our support.

How big is the Spurs fanbase globally? How many of those have even heard of TFC, and how many of those are registered on TFC, and how many of those bothered voting?

At best it's a representation of TFC members, I wouldn't disagree with that. The same poll for example on SC would probably give a different split.

But again, what I am saying is a binary Yes\No doesn't really reflect the depth of feeling. If there were already 60,000 fans in one place at the weekend and only 28 joined the protest it just suggests the fans aren't as angry with ENIC (yet) as you'd let the poll let you believe. A couple of wins over the next few weeks and only 10 will protest. We've been here before.

OTOH, another couple of defeats over the next week weeks and the chants will start up at WHL again like in Nuno's last match. Football fans, we're fickle as fuck.

It matters little either way

Conte would walk whenever he likes IMO and wouldn’t give a damn about money owed
He wouldn't walk, he'd just do what he did at Chelsea and get himself sacked. Either way, the most important thing is to have him want to stay at the club, the contracts are secondary.

I think all of this can be boiled down pretty quickly into our fan base having low expectations and a low bar for us as a club. Maybe its conditioning over a long period of time, the Sugar years etc.

It's hard to argue that for most top 4 seems to be enough.

I'll freely admit it was enough for me when I thought I could see us constantly improving if only by tiny increment at times.

But it was clear we needed a rebuild a while back now, before Poch infamously asked for one. No fan would argue against this. There is so much deadwood at the club and so many players who are regular or semi-regular starters that should no longer be at the club.

When we stood still and then started showing clear signs of regression is when I became ENIC out.

It's when I woke up to their model of put the bare minimum in and just get top 4. Everything else is clearly a bonus.

The fact is, If any other so called big 6 team went as long as we have without a trophy their fan base would be out protesting in big numbers.

Ours couldn't be arsed, maybe it was too cold for them, or they were embarrassed to show support, I really don't know.

I think the undercurrent of discontent is growing, the seed is there. If worst case scenarios pan out this season and we win nothing, don't win top 4 etc., Kane doesn't sign and has to be sold,Then I can see it getting ugly.

But then I think people should be seeing the way the wind is blowing and getting ugly already. Which is my main point.

It has come out that the 18 month contract was Levy’s choice. Conte was happy to sign up for longer but he went along with the wishes of the club.
Where did you hear that out of interest?

If it's true I don't understand the logic with a manager who has openly said 3 to 4 transfer windows were needed.

I think all of this can be boiled down pretty quickly into our fan base having low expectations and a low bar for us as a club. Maybe its conditioning over a long period of time, the Sugar years etc.

It's hard to argue that for most top 4 seems to be enough.

I'll freely admit it was enough for me when I thought I could see us constantly improving if only by tiny increment at times.

But it was clear we needed a rebuild a while back now, before Poch infamously asked for one. No fan would argue against this. There is so much deadwood at the club and so many players who are regular or semi-regular starters that should no longer be at the club.

When we stood still and then started showing clear signs of regression is when I became ENIC out.

It's when I woke up to their model of put the bare minimum in and just get top 4. Everything else is clearly a bonus.

The fact is, If any other so called big 6 team went as long as we have without a trophy their fan base would be out protesting in big numbers.

Ours couldn't be arsed, maybe it was too cold for them, or they were embarrassed to show support, I really don't know.

I think the undercurrent of discontent is growing, the seed is there. If worst case scenarios pan out this season and we win nothing, don't win top 4 etc., Kane doesn't sign and has to be sold,Then I can see it getting ugly.

But then I think people should be seeing the way the wind is blowing and getting ugly already. Which is my main point.
I think that is it, most of us have been conditioned to accept the dross.
The unrest is definitely growing, and fortunately for ENIC the past couple of results have kept the wolves at bay.
But it won't be long before it starts again, seeing as a lot of us have lost faith in them some time ago.
I think we are stuck with them for the foreseeable future, which is a gloomy prospect to say the least.

It matters little either way

Conte would walk whenever he likes IMO and wouldn’t give a damn about money owed

He wouldn't walk, he'd just do what he did at Chelsea and get himself sacked. Either way, the most important thing is to have him want to stay at the club, the contracts are secondary.
I agree keeping him happy is paramount but his contract situation isn't helpful, it's leading to speculation and uncertainty for him and his staff, the club, players and fans.

Him signing a new deal will help end a lot of that, it'll help players like Kane make decisions about their future and it helps inform transfer strategy.

Levy's agreement to/decision on an 18 month deal wasn't a good idea imo for all the reasons above plus the obvious reason that his contract would be up with only half a job done.

How big is the Spurs fanbase globally? How many of those have even heard of TFC, and how many of those are registered on TFC, and how many of those bothered voting?

At best it's a representation of TFC members, I wouldn't disagree with that. The same poll for example on SC would probably give a different split.

But again, what I am saying is a binary Yes\No doesn't really reflect the depth of feeling. If there were already 60,000 fans in one place at the weekend and only 28 joined the protest it just suggests the fans aren't as angry with ENIC (yet) as you'd let the poll let you believe. A couple of wins over the next few weeks and only 10 will protest. We've been here before.

OTOH, another couple of defeats over the next week weeks and the chants will start up at WHL again like in Nuno's last match. Football fans, we're fickle as fuck.

Why so much backpaddling because of a simple, factual poll.

It's as if the ENIC wing simply cannot, will not, must not listen to a single point made.

Feels like trying to debate the merits of pagans with a catholic inquisitor.

Oh well. Whatever. I'll leave it to that.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why he did not just do a video to answer the Trust while he is happy to talk to the camera for a League Documentary.
Equal portions of cowardice and arrogance, I imagine.

If I was being charitable, I imagine they’re a pain in the ass and if you engage them, it only leads to more questions. But then again, you’d like to think that’s the point of the Trust.

I just can’t stand his tone. This sort of blameless ‘aw shucks’ innocence. Everything is couched in get out clauses and qualifications.

Why so much backpaddling because of a simple, factual poll.

It's as if the ENIC wing simply cannot, will not, must not listen to a single point made.

Feels like trying to debate the merits of pagans with a catholic inquisitor.

Oh well. Whatever. I'll leave it to that.
To be fair that's exactly how I feel talking to you. You refuse to accept the possibility that an internet poll on a forum which most of our fans haven't even heard of isn't really reflective of the fanbase as a whole.

I'd rather ENIC sold up, if that makes me the "ENIC Wing" then that's fine. I couldn't care less how some guy on his laptop somewhere thousands of miles away thinks of me.

Back
Top Bottom