January 2023 Transfer Thread. The Big One

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Choose one for Spurs this window:

1) Malinovskiy - €18M, 2.5 Year contract
2) Zaniolo - €30M, 4 Year contract
3) Danjuma - 6 month loan
4) Trossard - €35M, 4 Year Contract
5) Madueke - €42M, 7.5 Year contract
1) Madueke
2) Zaniolo
3) Danjuma
4) Trossard
5) Malinovskyi

Given, I haven't watched Danjuma at Villareal as much as the other 4. Malinovskyi would be much higher, but his form has fallen quite a lot this season.

Fair enough.
When I sold houses and cars in the past I would overprice it but have the price I would sell for in my head ie house for sale at £210k would except £200k. You get the price you want the buyer thinks they have a bargain and there is always the chance that some idiot will pay the £210k.
Maybe Porto have a figure below the release clause in mind, maybe they really do want the €45, who knows but I really don’t understand how it’s taken 3 weeks to find this out
The reason activating release clauses has become increasingly popular in recent years (and analogizing it to a house purchase totally misses the mark) is that a move being certain, easy, and early has an immense amount of value when it is pertinent to building a bigger squad picture and long-term planning. It's a natural symptom of big clubs scouting and recruitment operations becoming increasingly professionalized and sophisticated, they are searching for efficiencies anywhere.

Obviously, in terms of sequencing moves together, having players ready for pre-season training in the summer, ending up with a set of players who fit open roles individually and collectively, those have been massive perpetual problems for Spurs under Daniel Levy. It's a rake we step on every single time to the ENORMOUS detriment of the competitive position of the team. And that costs a huge amount of money even if you only care about the financial figures and don't give a damn about the sporting outcomes of the team.

Do you pay double on every transfer in order to pay a release clause and avoid that? Of course not, you wouldn't recoup that level of overpayment no matter how much on-field success you have. Even City wouldn't do that.

But I have never, EVER seen haggling and time wasting at a valuation this close to a release clause. Ever. Only Daniel Levy would do this, it is categorically insane management behavior that no person is good faith could see as anything other that gross incompetence, end of.

Wh
Where did he suddenly appear from? Certainly didn't see him on the radar..
Smells of Levy bargain barrel scraping....

Also tell me, what fucking club accepts less money because "it suits them to do so"? I'd love to know.
Isn’t the buy back clause for city £15 million, maybe if they think city are activating it between now and the summer they would let him go for less than the release clause but more than the buy back?
Any way if Conte wanted him , and he was first choice no reasons not to get it done 1st January just by meeting the release clause

The cool thing with Danjuma is that; if things go well for him here, there could be a swap deal with GLC in the offing this summer. :tanguythumb:

Last edited:
I think he is not all he's cracked up to be. Victor Osimhen now he looks like a titan. Never seen VVD so comprehensively school he was terrified of Osimhen. If we got filthy amoral oil money he's the forward I'd set the statement with.
He's very good. His development at Milan was insane (when I watched him live at Lille, he was never as good as Pepe, Bamba, Ikone or even El Ghazi). However he's been struggling a lot this season. If before all of his dribbles would work, now he has closer to a 50% success rate.

The reason activating release clauses has become increasingly popular in recent years (and analogizing it to a house purchase totally misses the mark) is that a move being certain, easy, and early has an immense amount of value when it is pertinent to building a bigger squad picture and long-term planning. It's a natural symptom of big clubs scouting and recruitment operations becoming increasingly professionalized and sophisticated, they are searching for efficiencies anywhere.

Obviously, in terms of sequencing moves together, having players ready for pre-season training in the summer, ending up with a set of players who fit open roles individually and collectively, those have been massive perpetual problems for Spurs under Daniel Levy. It's a rake we step on every single time to the ENORMOUS detriment of the competitive position of the team. And that costs a huge amount of money even if you only care about the financial figures and don't give a damn about the sporting outcomes of the team.

Do you pay double on every transfer in order to pay a release clause and avoid that? Of course not, you wouldn't recoup that level of overpayment no matter how much on-field success you have. Even City wouldn't do that.

But I have never, EVER seen haggling and time wasting at a valuation this close to a release clause. Ever. Only Daniel Levy would do this, it is categorically insane management behavior that no person is good faith could see as anything other that gross incompetence, end of.
I agree, to a point. But people always gloss over it in the other direction - if you save/boost £5M 8 deals in/out over 3 windows, that's a £40M player in the 4th window that's free compared to the other guy who "doesn't haggle".

There's always a time and place, and certainly we've bungled a few. It's also serendipitously saved us from some absolutely atrocious buys that would have bitten us in the arse.

It'd be interesting to see a Levy boom/bust comparisons of the all-time best squad we fumbled away and the all-time worst squad we fortunately swerved.

So. A cheap, low grade squad filler on loan, snatched from the claws of a desperate relagation threatened Everton and we're all expected to get the party bunting and whistles out?

The state of this post :memeokay:
Maybe wait until the window is closed before pant wetting.

The state of the rabid enic outers. Any excuse to go on a rant.

CL regular = he had one good CL campaign

Low risk = player who is unwanted at a mid tier European team and was about to end up at Everton. If he was low risk that wouldn’t have been the case .

He MIGHT end up great but why are some of you so desperate to peg this signing as anyone other than a bit of late window opportunism on a wildcard option who is going to be loaned for a reason?
I didn't say he was a great signing. Just that lots of people are overreacting and using a squad player as more fuel for their enic out rants.

If he is our only signing everyone feel free to rant

Back
Top Bottom