Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First post here - long time glory glory poster / lurker. A lack of rotation is of course concerning, but our tactics do leave a lot to be desired too. We work really hard to work the ball into attacking positions in the oppositions half only to end up with either Ben Davies or typically Emerson on the ball. We struggle struggle struggle moving the ball up the pitch from a ludicrously precarious and deep starting point, only to then launch attacks through what are literally our worst attacking players.

It feels like we always have either a centre back or one of our wingbacks with questionable ball playing skills moving forwards with the ball in the space between the half way line and the opponents final third. It’s maddening.
Welcome to the maelstrom, Mr. Armchair.

Thanks for adding me,
Been a spurs fan for 60 years, so I have seen the good the bad and the ugly, last night summed up Conte for me, we have the best two strikers in europe, but Conte is only interested in defending, no player gave 100% last night, but watching Doherty last night, yet again he passes the ball back every time, cant cros a ball to save his life, yet Conte waits until the 89 minute to bring Spence on, got a feeling Conte we wil be looking for a new manager next year.
Applaud your enthusiasm but we don't have the 2 best strikers in Europe. Haaland, Benzema, Lewandowski etc etc...
That new Italian guy who's name I can't remember...there's quite a list...

.......Why on earth would anyone want to do that?
Airbag, I guess I’m just annoyed, mystified, incredulous how you and others can be so happy with the way we are playing football at the moment. And not just the United game. The difference with the way we ended last season and this is baffling, and to keep parping on about what a great start to the season we have had is simply denial of the truth. Take a look at all of the teams we have beaten and you will see all but Brighton in the bottom half. We were lucky to get draws against Wet Spam and Chelscum. The one team we really beat well are rock bottom. Woolwich and United were both miles better.

Not a single win vs top six opposition. Not even a decent performance, should've been more losses.

Fucking disgraceful. Our position in the table is false. We've scraped together points and been diabolical vs anyone even halfway competent.

Maybe, but my question is what is everyone else’s record against the top six away?

This new narrative of “none of the top 6 have beaten each other away” is so fucking embarrassing

We’ve already played half of those fixtures and conceded 66 shots in them.

There’s nothing positive to take from last night. That doesn’t mean the club are in disarray or that Conte is shit.

It means we had a seriously fucking awful display in a season that thus far has been pretty promising.

So the club is in in disarray and Conte is shit

Righto

Maybe, but my question is what is everyone else’s record against the top six away?

It's not the results which bother me. If we went to Old Trafford and it was a competitive match, I would be disappointed but not angry. But making them look 10x better than anyone else has by being dominated for the entire game isn't acceptable.

Woolwich lost at OT but guess what? They competed. They dominated the ball & created. United were just clinical and countered well. Huge difference in mood of the Woolwich fans & our fans after both games. We rolled over and let them win .. it was pathetic.

It's not the results which bother me. If we went to Old Trafford and it was a competitive match, I would be disappointed but not angry. But making them look 10x better than anyone else has by being dominated for the entire game isn't acceptable.

Woolwich lost at OT but guess what? They competed. They dominated the ball & created. United were just clinical and countered well. Huge difference in mood of the Woolwich fans & our fans after both games. We rolled over and let them win .. it was pathetic.
Starting to think that people don’t actually watch football. Seen some comparing this to arsenals loss at OT thinking it’s the same thing.

Starting to think that people don’t actually watch football. Seen some comparing this to arsenals loss at OT thinking it’s the same thing.

It's the same result & that's all those people see.

Watched both games and they couldn't be more different. Woolwich dominated United, looked youthful, creative and pinned them back. United just got some lucky breaks & were clinical, this happens, it's football ffs.

We made United look like they were back in their pomp. Didn't test them, didn't at any point show any fight, even when going behind. We should've lost by far more & only didn't because of our keeper and United missing chances.

Emerson - Romero - Dier - Davies back four?

Who is your 10?

I love the 4-2-3-1 but I’m not sure we have the right players for it.
The alternative is 5 at-the-back.

If we don't have the right players for 4 at-the-back, I don't see how adding a sub-optimal defender improves our situation.

How many CL champions have primarily used a back 3/5 over the past decade? Tuchel's Chelsea and???

Some of our best CL results under Poch was when he switched it up to a back 3/5, which IMO, is how it should be used... situationally, not as default.

We were in control and on the front-foot for the first 15-20, until the usual excursion into our Bermuda Triangle (Lloris-Dier-Davies) results in clowntown calamity.

That'll teach me, shouldn't even joke about it!
Got home just after 5am, horrendous traffic on M6, but wouldn't have minded a bit if we had put up even a half decent performance.
Everyone seemed to have lead in their boots, I'm not going to single out individuals, they were all pretty ropey., apart from Hugo.
I'm not going to even try to analyse the game, I'd rather put pins in my eyes than relive the game. The only comment I will make is I just don't understand Antonio's substitutions when we're chasing a game, what's the point of making 4 with 5 minutes to go?
I hate to say it but I feel that many of the players destined for the WC are looking decidedly lethargic.
I can't even blame the officials tonight, thought they had a solid game.
Gone past the point of being tired, so watching "That's 80s" music channel until I feel my eyelids droop.
Hopefully they will buck up their ideas for Sunday's game.

Watching HL of Bayern/Augsburg. Apparently there's a new tactical method, although I've not heard of it before. Perhaps it's worth investigating? It's called (they said) "run-ning". Some kind of idea from the Far East perhaps? Anyway, it seems that chaps without the ball do this "run-ning" so the chap with the ball can send it to them and then himself do some "run-ning" to keep up. Anyone heard of it?
It's an offshoot of pas-sing

We've had 3 defensive managers in a row now, I'm just sick of it. Don't get me wrong conte is by far the best of the 3 but it's just not in our DNA as fans to watch this.
I can deal with defensive football if I feel like we are realistically heading towards some medals

This group of players ain't winning shit

That's become very clear to me

However Sack Conte and I dread to think what turd of a manager we dig up to replace him

Back
Top Bottom