Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely fear tonight we announced we aren’t that a good team.
Something that anyone with eyes that has watched our season so far can tell a mile off, but now we've confirmed it to the league.

The performances have been atrocious this season in most games. We've got away with it because we've won a couple of games that we had no right to win.

Over 38 games, you’ll always get found out and at the moment we're playing like a club where top 6 is the ceiling.

What's out strategy for the cups? Just hope we don't get drawn away to a good team?

What I don't get with Conte is his stubbornness. In minute 69 we went down 2-0. Nothing pointed at us getting a point with the players on the field and the bench, well didn't get any hopes up.

We had a game 3 days ago and we have another in 4. Why not make 5 changes and rest some players that has been run down to the ground, and give players that we know has a high potential a run.

Højbjerg for Skipp
Doherty for Spence
Kane for Lucas
Son for Sessegnon
Bentancour for Gil
Davies for Lenglet

Just to rest the ones that are inevitaly starting vs. Newcastle.

Also, I'm a bit worried that this traincrash of a performance is due to lack of rotation up until now, are the players that always play, mentally and physically spent? Will Contes stubbornness in playing other players than his favourites and not making any changes before minute 82 punish us in the games to come?

I don't know of course, but I'm worried.

Last edited:
I think that there are multiple factors at play.

The big one I think is that we have a world cup coming up and a lot of international players going. There's definitely one or two players that are playing it "safe" in order to not risk their trip to Qatar.

If we have a turnaround in aggression post world cup it would not surprise me at all.

I think this is becoming more evident by the week. I think it’s a reason for Liverpool’s supposed bad start too. Chelsea’s players have looked like it as well, on occasion.

It was always going to happen and is a reason why I’ve been sceptical about judging anything on this first part of the season. Also it’s why January will be so important to get players in to push the squad on because of tiredness from the World Cup.

At the moment, any team that consistently presses us hard gives us massive problems. On the other side of the coin, several of our player just don't press hard enough - they just allow the opponent to pick a pass.

One small example - Kane used to rush/sprint towards goalkeepers when they had the ball at their feet, forcing them into errors. These days he just jogs lazily in their general direction, if he feels like it. I cannot believe that a manager of Conte's stature is telling him to do this. This pathetic lethargy isn't affecting the entire team, but it's definitely affecting the outcome of games like last night's - games that really matter.

I'd rather lose trying to win rather than lose not trying at all.
Awful performance

This is it in a nutshell isn’t it?

I thought prematch that I hope he goes 3 up front because it just gives a team like Man U more to worry about if they lose the ball when attacking.

Are we seeing the problem of Conte preparing more than a game a week raise its head again?

What I don't get with Conte is his stubbornness. In minute 69 we went down 2-0. Nothing pointed at us getting a point with the players on the field and the bench, well didn't get any hopes up.

We had a game 3 days ago and we have another in 4. Why not make 5 changes and rest some players that has been run down to the grown, and give players that we know has a high potential a run.

Højbjerg for Skipp
Doherty for Spence
Kane for Lucas
Son for Sessegnon
Bentancour for Gil
Davies for Lenglet

Just to rest the ones that are inevitaly starting vs. Newcastle.

Also, I'm a bit worried that this traincrash of a performance is due to lack of rotation up until now, are the players that always play, mentally and physically spent? Will Contes stubbornness in playing other players than his favourites and not making any changes before minute 82 punish us in the games to come?

I don't know if course, but I'm worried.
I've noticed that when he knows the games lost he completely throws the towel in

In many ways Poch has his part to play in the failed rebuild. Maybe the errors can be attributed to others, but I believe he's largely responsible for us paying £42 fucking million for Davinson Sanchez, then of course £50m for Ndombele, about the same for Lo Celso, £30m for Sess, all of whom have gone on to be massive massive disappointments.

Then he greenlit the sale of Walker and Trippier too.

Only with the arrival of Paratici did we begin to finally make some decent transfers, Romero, Kulu and Benta being the only unqualified successes.

Davidson Sanchez perhaps.
But Ndombele and Lo Celso were clearly club as opposed to MoPo buys. The former especially. MoPo wouldn’t play him at all. Moreover, it happened so much later than was required and with such desperation that it didn’t help us at all.
Not so sure about Sess either way.
I wouldn’t put Walker and Trippier on MoPo. Again, that was the club, like when they sold Dembele, a player who would have been a real asset for us in the champs league final.
Our transfer activity has been shocking.
As usually, we were promised the world and the club failed to deliver in the summer.
Every player we signed this summer was a cheaper option or not right for the system.

Here’s a positive spin

We beat Man City home and away last season.

We drew with Liverpool home and away!Should have won at Liverpool also.

Beat Woolwich at home when it mattered. So we can perform on the big stage.

In fact Man City away must be an Antonio Conte perfect performance. Kane unplayable and Son outstanding. City still had the majority of possession but our breaks were devastating.

This season Kane and Son aren’t performing away from home. Sonny is so physically weak it’s embarrassing. Kane was ineffective yesterday. Great players for the club and still great players in my opinion but just not turning up in certain games.

Let’s see what the January window brings and we are a work in progress.

Rome wasn’t built in a day !

At the moment, any team that consistently presses us hard gives us massive problems. On the other side of the coin, several of our player just don't press hard enough - they just allow the opponent to pick a pass.

One small example - Kane used to rush/sprint towards goalkeepers when they had the ball at their feet, forcing them into errors. These days he just jogs lazily in their general direction, if he feels like it. I cannot believe that a manager of Conte's stature is telling him to do this. This pathetic lethargy isn't affecting the entire team, but it's definitely affecting the outcome of games like last night's - games that really matter.
If you cant play through a press go over the top or long every so often to keep their team 5-10 yards back in case of flick ons. If only we had a 6 foot plus centre forward and wing back to pull onto a 5 9 centre half

First post here - long time glory glory poster / lurker. A lack of rotation is of course concerning, but our tactics do leave a lot to be desired too. We work really hard to work the ball into attacking positions in the oppositions half only to end up with either Ben Davies or typically Emerson on the ball. We struggle struggle struggle moving the ball up the pitch from a ludicrously precarious and deep starting point, only to then launch attacks through what are literally our worst attacking players.

It feels like we always have either a centre back or one of our wingbacks with questionable ball playing skills moving forwards with the ball in the space between the half way line and the opponents final third. It’s maddening.

Back
Top Bottom