Everton (H) 15 Oct - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing like a spurs home win on Saturday to bring everyone together

200.gif

And this is nothing like it!

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Just to add to this, credit to Conte for making the Bissouma sub, it would have been easy to just bring on a like for like attacking sub (Moura/Gil) and stick with his 343 format, and to some swiping out an "attacker" for a CM might have seemed a retrograde decision, but it was actually a tactically smart move that allowed us to play higher, get the ball wider, get the two lateral midfielders pivoting forward off Bissouma and create harder to pick up runs from deeper.

And then when we got the goal it allowed us to keep possession much better and starve them of the ball - and create more chances by pulling them about.

I really hope we see more of this format now, with more coached application of controlled possession game management, instead of the limp bollocks we've had for much of this season.

And stats back it up. Unlike most weeks where we allow way too many shots, Everton didn't have a second half shot for the first time in 6 years.

We looked like a decent team second half today, we've been looking like a Bus Park Harry Kane team for most of the season.

Last week first half at Brighton with the CM3 we also showed positive signs of playing higher and more aggressively.

Hope Conte sticks with this now.
I agree with all of this (I've been wishing we played 3-5-2 ever since we took Liverpool apart last season (should have scored 6 or 7 that day).

The only slight correction I would make to your comment is the shots we concede are all from distance. Typically I can't find the graphic when you need it, but as of approx 3 games ago we had the lowest (or 2nd lowest) xG shots against us in the league. Teams were really finding it hard to get into good positions to score from, we weren't allowing them behind us.

I agree with all of this (I've been wishing we played 3-5-2 ever since we took Liverpool apart last season (should have scored 6 or 7 that day).

The only slight correction I would make to your comment is the shots we concede are all from distance. Typically I can't find the graphic when you need it, but as of approx 3 games ago we had the lowest (or 2nd lowest) xG shots against us in the league. Teams were really finding it hard to get into good positions to score from, we weren't allowing them behind us.

I get that's the idea - to limit the opposition shots to distance, but in practice we've only got the 7th best XGA now - and had the 7th best XGA in September. After playing deep block for two and a half months. It's not working. I thought what we did second half today was a far more sustainable way of managing games.

Take a look at this (curtesy of todd1882 todd1882 )

Pretty damning indictment of our tactics thus far.

At least we get something from the licence fee. I've started watching EastEnders again just to get some moneys worth

I know a good therapist!

โ€œNow get aahht of my pubโ€!!!

We look much more threatening with 3 in midfield. Been saying it for ages, the addition on the 3rd midfielder allows us to have another player forward.

Second goal proves that. Bentancur assisting PEH. Both can play higher up with the security of Bissouma behind. I want to see us start like that on Wednesday.

Second point is the big hug Conte gave Doherty when he came off. I think Conte is starting to feel more comfortable with playing Doherty. The players seem more comfortable with him than Emerson also. The fitter Doherty gets, I'm fairly certain Conte will be starting him over Emerson.

I get that's the idea - to limit the opposition shots to distance, but in practice we've only got the 7th best XGA now - and had the 7th best XGA in September. After playing deep block for two and a half months. It's not working. I thought what we did second half today was a far more sustainable way of managing games.

Take a look at this (curtesy of todd1882 todd1882 )

Pretty damning indictment of our tactics thus far.
I'm absolutely certain it was better than this but to be honest it doesn't really matter as aesthetically we all know it's not a great spectacle to watch us play.

I can't come out swinging against Conte though as despite not liking how we play it has been effective and I never really worry when we are closing a game out, there is control in what we are doing, by contrast, we didn't have any under the dinosaur who tried something similar.

But if we can play as we did in the 2nd half today then that's how I want us to control games, with the ball and in the oppo half.

The guy is a complete fucking prick. He's saying this after going back through my history and disagreeing with any comment I've made including film thread etc. I hope for his sake he's in his teens but I don't think he is.

Yeh but tbf you said Annihilation is a good film.

You are clearly a danger to society

Back
Top Bottom