Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doherty got 2 goals 4 assists in 874 mins (PL)
Singo got 3 goals 4 assists in 2626 mins (Serie A)
Spence got 2 goals 4 assists in 3712 mins (C'ship)

All 3 played RWB- are we sure that Singo and Spence are an upgrade on Doherty right now?
Obviously younger, so perhaps better potential.
Only one of those is almost 30 and coming back from a major injury, plus I would suggest judging only on goals and assists when the other two haven't played under Conte with Kane and Son in the box isn't a fair representation but take your point.

About am I
You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal
Hang on, that's right isn't it?

"About I am" is how Yoda would say it, surely Shirley....?

I'm concerned that with regular game time he'll start banging goals in, and in 2 to 3 year time, he'll be sold again for two to three times as much.
Still, Levy will probably have this possibility covered, with a sell-on clause in the transfer contract.
Do you often find yourself concerned about things that have no chance of happening? You're talking Bergwijn for 60-90M in 2-3 years time...I'd bet my right nut that won't happen. And beyond that there's the whole "right now" issue with Conte and our short term rebuild.

We've got no time to wait for Bergwijn to "come good" because A) we've seen enough to suggest it's more likely that Foyth will finally reach his potential at DM and take over for Busquets followed by thinktank thinktank bukkake-ing the whole board with "I told ya sos" than Berg being a success here no matter how much playing time we give him; B) we've got no time to waste waiting on a player whose ability suggests that even if he were to 'come good' it would still be average; and C) his contract situation (years) and leverage. He's been here 3 seasons now so probably only has 2 years and a option left. The specifics don't really matter but it's gotta be close to that. We are not going to extend him based on evidence so it's time to move him back to a league more to his level.

Definitely feels like we sell at a discount and buy with a premium.

Isn't there a large amount of logic to that though when you consider:

We're attempting to buy promising/proven players that will make us better

vs

Players who'm we are attempting to sell 'downwards'.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that with regular game time he'll start banging goals in, and in 2 to 3 year time, he'll be sold again for two to three times as much.
Still, Levy will probably have this possibility covered, with a sell-on clause in the transfer contract.

Of course a sell-on clause would be a way to alleviate these fears, but we can't realistically expect 35-40m for him right now.

What a waste....

He'll be 33 by the time the new season starts..... Has an ongoing battle with injury and fitness and has his attention fixed on one last hurrah with his country despite:

Tottenham Hotspur
Real Madrid
Individual

Bale was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2022 Birthday Honours for services to association football and charity.[343]

....Apparently this is a "waste". 🤡

Is one of them Doherty assists that one against Leicester...lol. Pretty sure he had his eyes closed when he ran into Syonchu. That expression about lies and statistics springs to mind.
Agree that this assist was lucky, but even if you take that out, his goal contribution per minute is still more than double the other 2.
Not saying Doherty is amazing; just a word of caution that these two youngsters may not yet already have the end product we want.

I can't fault your points, but the fact we're even talking about this is phenomenal. I legit HATED Doherty for a long time. I was 95% sure he was deliberately bad.

Now... I don't even fancy Spence over him. But I can imagine an upgrade (someone who can take on and beat people, with better crossing). If Doc is first team, OK, I'm good. If he's backup, then great.
I'm not a big fan of Doherty, and Spence in the long term is an upgrade. But I wonder if we can get a RWB who will be better than him now, like we found Perisic for LWB.

Only one of those is almost 30 and coming back from a major injury, plus I would suggest judging only on goals and assists when the other two haven't played under Conte with Kane and Son in the box isn't a fair representation but take your point.
I'd sell Emerson and bring in a new RWB.

We're a bit unlucky with RWB market actually; because two great potentials in Livramento and Frimpong both suffered serious injuries.

He has 7 goals in 60 matches as a forward in his last 3 years, just think about that for a minute.
Bergwijn played in 25 Premier League matches for Spurs this season, most as a substitute.
He played less than ten minutes in 11 of those matches and less than twenty minutes in 18 matches.
Just think about that for a minute.

Bergwijn​

Bergwijn played in 25 Premier League matches for Spurs this season, most as a substitute.
He played less than ten minutes in 11 of those matches and less than twenty minutes in 18 matches.
Just think about that for a minute.

Bergwijn​

And Jose was manager for 2/3 of those games too, so he was playing as a defender/midfielder

Back
Top Bottom