January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember that time everyone was crying in their porridge because we didn't sign Sadio Berahino? We thought it was the end of the world? Then turned out he was complete garbage. Same thing will happen with Traore. We dodged a bullet.

There' s sooooo many more of these too.

Damiao
Downing
Barkley

Come on folks, who else did we spend forever not signing who turned out absolutely shite?

agree most of us wanted Ndombele, but the scouting should have shouted that Ndombele will be a problem, so again down to scouting

I think to some extent where we unlucky. Ndombele was smashing it for Lyon, he was in the French League team of the year, the Champions League team of the year I believe and playing for France. He showed all the press resistant qualities we loved about Dembele. That he would take his £200k a week contract and do a Abamayang and retire is unfortunate.

Lo Celso was also doing great in Spainish, I asked a Spanish friend at work about him who is a RM fan and he said Lo Celso is probably in the top 5 AM’s in the league or was that season.

Both had been killing it and in a big way. They passed the eye test but obviously not the mentality test, for that I could only guess our scouting needs to be better. But finding out about a players personality off the pitch can’t be easy.

Last edited:
Seems like you're just retracting your initial own "correction" now....

We sold Lamela..... Who many would complain didn't score much.

Your overall jab at Parratici was grossly embellished for effect (beyond the semantics of your "goalscorers" comment too).....

His 1st window was described as "mixed".....

Romero: Good (injury hardly FPs fault)
Gil: (Promising, but needs time)
Sarr: (TBC)

vs

Emerson (disappointing)
Gil (dissapointing)
Failed to bag an ST2

"Mixed" seems a reasonable enough to me; but you saw fit to shit all over the guy as a means to disagree (your prerogative, granted)..... All in the spirit of you "keeping things light" though I guess?

Not really the point...... I have thick enough skin thanks.... It seems however you were triggered by me saying Eccleshare's tweet (whoever the fuck he is!) was no big deal.

Why that would be; I don't know. ......Not that you're making a "BIG THING" out of anything though.

(I think this is the part where you may as well call me a "cunt" and we move on. 👍 )
I'm not retracting anything, I said he flogged all of our goal threats, that was poor wording on two fronts, the first that it implies he sold them when in reality 2 were ended loans that he simply didn't replace (I also said Lamela "sort of" as he wasn't a prolific scorer as such, but an attacking option still).

The second error was that I meant back ups, as selling all of our goal threats would have included Kane and Son too, which obviously didn't happen.

He replaced the 3 with Gil, who I like, but who has provided nothing as of right now no matter how good he may become.

So his dealings have left the squad in a poor state in an attacking sense, you can disagree if you like but the actual stats back this up.

I don't think I ever said anything about his first window being mixed? The sole piece of business that people point to in his favour is Romero, it's generous to claim this as a success given he's probably played almost as many minutes for Argentina as Spurs this season. It'd probably be just as fair to put him in the same boat as Gil, potentially good but nothing proven so far.

Mixed might actually be a generous appraisal of his work, for the here and now anyway.

Regardless, I believe my initial point was that his reputation based on being on the phone a lot and being awake a lot wasn't going to last for long when considered alongside his actual outputs of weakening our attacking options, spunking a load on Emerson, and installing Nuno to bring us attacking football.

Now if you like, you can continue to argue over some poor initial wording, or, you could demonstrate to me which of the bolded points aren't true?

I think to some extent where we unlucky. Ndombele was smashing it for Lyon, he was in the French League team of the year, the Champions League team of the year I believe and playing for France. He showed all the press resistant qualities we loved about Dembele. That he would take his £200k a week contract and do a Abamayang and retire is unfortunate.

Lo Celso was also doing great in Spainish, I asked a Spanish friend at work about him who is a RM fan and he said Lo Celso is probably in the top 5 AM’s in the league or was that season.

Both had been killing it and in a big way. They passed the eye test but obviously not the mentality test, for that I could only our guess scouting needs to be better. But finding out about a players personality off the pitch can’t be easy.
It’s always easy to narrativize after the fact, but in different ways none of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon or Clarke seem to have the required mentalities to be big time Premier League players

Both had been killing it and in a big way. They passed the eye test but obviously not the mentality test, for that I could only our guess scouting needs to be better. But finding out about a players personality off the pitch can’t be easy.
NDombele and GLC were both 1 season wonders playing for teams well outside the top echelons of their leagues.
Big fish for a season in small ponds.

I wonder if our targets shouldn't be stand out players for smaller teams, but maybe ones that just failed to cut it at top clubs. IE VDV and Bale and those kinds of players.

100% agree .... the biggest gap for me is creative midfield .... but after Ndombele 54m and LoCelso 30m we know that just signing a "name" to please the masses doesn't really work.

I hope we still have at least one top drawer signing this window - but if we have to wait until the summer or sign Traore, then unless it's <20m let's wait ....
Our problem is we do not have midfielders that can play Conte’s system. Our wing backs are not a good match for the current tactics and we do not have a backup to Kane. The fact is Conte has been pleading for some help that the squad is not good enough and Levy and Paratici have done didly squat to support him and we saw last summer what happens with Conte when he does not believe in the project.

It’s always easy to narrativize after the fact, but in different ways none of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon or Clarke seem to have the required mentalities to be big time Premier League players

I thought Lo Celso at least would be successful, particularly given he was our best player for his first 3 months under Jose. Really odd and disappointing. Does highlight though how character is as important as talent.

Trippier for £3.5m was an incredible signing

Ok, but again someone from a the EPL; right under our nose.

.....At the same time McGuire & Robertson were the obvious moves (also for dirt cheap from Hull) and we got neither.

. Alli for £5m was signed when he was here.

Dele was 100% a pleat job.

this isnt about how good Mitchell was, just that he couldnt put up with the hassle of it all.

Besides; is that actually true though? (See the Mane thing.... )

Sat scouting EPL players on Sky Sports doesn't sound like much "hassle" to me.

People also always seem to overlook the part where he and Poch were supposedly bickering (*with Poch happy to assume the "manager" mantle in the wake of his exit no less) and another report that PM didn't leave for "sporting reasons".......

Ok, maybe as a trio Levy, Poch & Mitchel hypothetically weren't clicking..... I just don't see him as being particularly relevant to our current predicament (for the reasons noted in my initial post).

You missed the point of my question....

You said he (Tripper) was pissed about the manner in which we didn't replace him (Trippier).

As above.... I wasn't asking about Dembele, although I think it's celar here that you were all along.

Crossed wires mate.... Ignore.
I'm back-translating here from Marca's report on what KT said to The Athletic but this is the quote...

"I know 100%, without a shadow of a doubt - and this is what most annoyed me - that two months before the end of the season Daniel was offering me to other clubs"

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

Back
Top Bottom