Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With more Premier League games likely postponed I think we need to exit this cup and use the extra midweek games to catch-up. Would hate to be 2 league games down against everyone else and still in 3 cups.

Why??????

People really are taking their 'fixture pile-up' concerns to a perverse degree..... If we're still in three cups it means we're doing well. Why on earth would you "hate" it?

Other teams will pick up games in hand too as the season rolls on; it's inevitable.... Let's just crack on and take the games as they fall.

With more Premier League games likely postponed I think we need to exit this cup and use the extra midweek games to catch-up. Would hate to be 2 league games down against everyone else and still in 3 cups.

I agree, we’ve already illustrated we have no appetite for this competition so rather sack it off.

Particularly as Conte has barely had any time with the team. The extra time on the training ground would yield quicker results

Why??????

People really are taking their 'fixture pile-up' concerns to a perverse degree..... If we're still in three cups it means we're doing well. Why on earth would you "hate" it?

Other teams will pick up games in hand too as the season rolls on; it's inevitable.... Let's just crack on and take the games as they fall.

This competitions a joke, winning it is about as prestigious as the Intertoto

Why??????

We have no squad depth. The drop off in quality between our first team and the rest is scary, as highlighted by Mura result.

We have already postponed the game against burnley and likely this weekend also due to COVID. That could hurt us as we get to the back end of the season and a few injuries.

Let’s not forget Arsesmell have no Europe games this season. Fortunately for a Spurs fan, this means the squad get more training from Arteta as a result, which is very unlikely to help.

We have no squad depth. The drop off in quality between our first team and the rest is scary, as highlighted by Mura result.

We have already postponed the game against burnley and likely this weekend also due to COVID. That could hurt us as we get to the back end of the season and a few injuries.

If we're doing well in the league and still in 3 cups come Feb/March then the squad's probably not as bad as we'd feared.... At the very least Conte will have been getting a proverbial tune out of it.

Additionally: Peeps want new players in Jan...... The more we can get them playing the quicker they get integrated.... Training is important, but there's no substitute for actual games.

Can’t we just forfeit? Probably not the right way of thinking (& certainly won’t be Conte’s way of thinking as a winner) but I can’t help but feel that this tournament is going to be more of a hindrance if we end up with yet another 2 games just to get into the knockout phase. I want the lads to win every match, don’t get me wrong, but we have to prioritise our campaigns and this has to be bottom of the pile

If it really IS 16 players out, Sunday HAS to be postponed...
Tomorrow could well also be postponed if there's a risk to the remaining players, and/or the Rennes squad.

I dunno really... We'll have to fit Burnley and Brighton in somewhere, and right now, I dunno whether it's better to have games in hand (and hope we win) or just get on and play them, and get points on the board ..
Ironically, although we won the last few, I still don't think we're at full speed performance wise (maybe the early effects of COVID?) So maybe an extra weeks' training, and get our players back refreshed in 10 days IS the best outcome...

However, Liverpool will be rubbing their hands, WHOEVER we start that game with!!!

With that mentality, you're going nowhere. Audi Cup was rubbish and it was a joke, but Conference League is a real competition. Roma competes in it, a very good Rennes team, in play-offs teams like Marseille, PSV and Leicester could enter. It's similar to Europa League. This league has a good marketing, good structure and the final in Tirana would be nice to experience and watch.

It's a good competition and we will need to beat some good teams if we want to win it. We can't just throw it away.
It's an embarrassing competition. It's a glorified Intertoto and about as significant.

Can’t we just forfeit? Probably not the right way of thinking (& certainly won’t be Conte’s way of thinking as a winner) but I can’t help but feel that this tournament is going to be more of a hindrance if we end up with yet another 2 games just to get into the knockout phase. I want the lads to win every match, don’t get me wrong, but we have to prioritise our campaigns and this has to be bottom of the pile
why would we forfeit if our next 2 league games are going to be rescheduled? like why would we do that?

why would we forfeit if our next 2 league games are going to be rescheduled? like why would we do that?
Cos it’s a shit tournament that will likely hinder our season long term with a fixture pile up incoming.
Not saying I’m right & Conte would probably throttle me if he got his hands on me, but there’s no kudos in this competition. If we’d won the group then fair enough, but two extra games with rescheduled fixtures to fit in as well won’t do us any favours imo

Cos it’s a shit tournament that will likely hinder our season long term with a fixture pile up incoming.
Not saying I’m right & Conte would probably throttle me if he got his hands on me, but there’s no kudos in this competition. If we’d won the group then fair enough, but two extra games with rescheduled fixtures to fit in as well won’t do us any favours imo

"Winning is a habbit" etc.

If we're being crippled by fixture pile-up in Feb/Mar we can make that call then (and send out a weak team if we feel the shit is about to hit the fan).... Tomorrow night aside, we're likely not to play again until 2 Sunday's time at the earliest now, so concerns about current fatigue are moot.

It's an embarrassing competition. It's a glorified Intertoto and about as significant.

Totally agree it’s a shite competition and if we win it, it will mean nothing. Has no merit whatsoever. I am desperate for us too win trophies, but not this shite inter toto cup thing. 3rd rate competition and you have to win a 2 legged play off if you finish 2nd in the group, utterly ridiculous

If it really IS 16 players out, Sunday HAS to be postponed...
Tomorrow could well also be postponed if there's a risk to the remaining players, and/or the Rennes squad.

UEFA won't let us post-pone tomorrow. Bank on it.

Less than 13 players (inc. a GK) is the threshold; then they'll just say "supplement your bench with kids".

Looks like the team picks itself at this rate; so talk of "go weak" is moot anyway.

"Winning is a habbit" etc.

If we're being crippled by fixture pile-up in Feb/Mar we can make that call then (and send out a weak team if we feel the shit is about to hit the fan).... Tomorrow night aside, we're likely not to play again until 2 Sunday's time at the earliest now, so concerns about current fatigue are moot.
*habit.
Trouble is, the deeper into competitions we get, the more that’s at stake. Even this 3rd rate competition.
I’d rather bow out of this one and focus on more important things like the league & FA cup. Again, not saying that’s right and I want Spurs to do well every time we play, but this isn’t a competition that will catapult us back into the big time.

I thought that was the spelling for a nun's uniform. :(

Trouble is, the deeper into competitions we get, the more that’s at stake. Even this 3rd rate competition.

Same trophy now or then, innit.

I’d rather bow out of this one and focus on more important things like the league & FA cup.

If we get knocked out then that's the way the cookie crumbles; but at this point I'm not sure what "bowing" out actually constitutes....

1/3 of the squad are missing and there's likely no game on Sunday, so the XI is likely the same regardless (unless we just drop the kids into the grinder and I'm never a fan of that as you potentially damage them).

Again, not saying that’s right and I want Spurs to do well every time we play, but this isn’t a competition that will catapult us back into the big time.

Neither will the LC or FAC on a prestige level, but we desperately need to get over the line in SOMETHING... Sooner rather than later.

To be clear though; I'm not hell-bent on this comp... I just don't think now is the time to make the judgement call to 'bin it'.

If we were to go on and win it; the nay-sayers in our fanbase would still celebrate it.

It would be a footnote on our honours list and the fixture congestion would drag out the time it takes our team to adapt to contes style.

I have also seen nothing to suggest we have any interest in winning it. We lost to one of the worst teams in the competition

Back
Top Bottom