Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We went to Barcelona and tried to sign their young midfielder on the cheap as his contract was almost up. We lost out on him and ended up with Emerson shortly afterwards when we couldn't agree a fee for the Japanese right back. Not sure if Emerson was always an option we were wanting but would be interested to know.
Yeah that doesn’t stack up

We don’t buy a midfield prospect from Barca so just grab a right back on the way out?!

Even for spurs that just can’t be

I agree on the surface that’s how it appears but someone at thfc must have known of him, watched him and ultimately rated him …. Higher than our original choice …. He was after all dearer right ?

Im certain we could’ve agreed a fee for the player… it wasn’t big numbers, I believe we chose against

Agreed it would be interesting to know

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever seen Emerson beat his man 1 on 1.
Reggie's pace makes him more of a threat as he can join counters quicker and is often our most advanced player on a break.
He's also shown he can deliver some fantastic crosses.

His issue is just that everything is done at 100 mph and his technique lets him down.

Emerson is slightly better building from deep and is more physical in his one on one defending but offers very little in an attacking sense.
Does a wing back ever beat his man with anything other than with pace ?

Aside from the greats in that position if you possess that level of trickery to regularly ‘sell’ the defender your not playing full/wing back

It’s more about being direct and having an ‘engine’ so I never have this as an expectation

We went to Barcelona and tried to sign their young midfielder on the cheap as his contract was almost up. We lost out on him and ended up with Emerson shortly afterwards when we couldn't agree a fee for the Japanese right back. Not sure if Emerson was always an option we were wanting but would be interested to know.
Its like when they run of the steak you wanted at the restaurant, and you end up plumping for the burger, just cos it has beef in it!
a ROYALE with cheese, obviously!

Yeah that doesn’t stack up

Fan fiction usually doesn't.

We don’t buy a midfield prospect from Barca so just grab a right back on the way out?!

Even for spurs that just can’t be

I agree on the surface that’s how it appears but someone at thfc must have known of him, watched him and ultimately rated him …. Higher than our original choice …. He was after all dearer right ?

Im certain we could’ve agreed a fee for the player… it wasn’t big numbers, I believe we chose against

Agreed it would be interesting to know

IIRC, the rumours about our interest in him go back 18 months or so.

In which case it's easily explained:

Interested in Tomiyasu..... Barca communicate that Emerson is available... We opt for our preferred player (even though he was more expensive*).

(* #TightBaldCunt).

Well that’s not true.

Fee was agreed for Tomiyasu. We CHOSE Emerson (rightly or wrongly, time will tell).

Please don’t post lies. Thanks

I seriously doubt that that the two cases have any relationship. The Ilaix business was scuppered by his agents at the last minute (and by-the-by has left the lad wasting a whole year of his career), our interest in Emerson went back to when he was on loan at Betis, at least. That and the fact they play in completely different positions.

It's not like the days when young men purchased jazz mags - Men Only was sold out so you made do with a copy of Knave, which did the job and was a bit cheaper...

I often think that as fans we wildly misjudge how clubs conduct their transfer business - it's like how you see people wondering if our interest in x is actually just a smokescreen for our real target y. I just don't think clubs operate anything like that.

Don't think I've ever seen Emerson beat his man 1 on 1.
Reggie's pace makes him more of a threat as he can join counters quicker and is often our most advanced player on a break.
He's also shown he can deliver some fantastic crosses.

His issue is just that everything is done at 100 mph and his technique lets him down.

Emerson is slightly better building from deep and is more physical in his one on one defending but offers very little in an attacking sense.
I completly and utterly disagree.

Because Reggie dose everything at 100mph is why he's so far not been that great at attacking. Just take the last game against Brentford as an example, a game where he was good and had a posertive influence on especially in attack. His delivery (apart from the goal) was really very poor - As I said above in the thread this isn't entirely down to him, the entire team is not quite clicking yet with Conte's attacking automations, so runs are delayed, crosses/passes delayed or both, this will come but probably will not see this flow until next season(???).

His attacking influence was better than Emerson's in this game for ONE reason only and that he's got Davies under and overlapping in attack with him, there are overloads being created.

On Emerson's side of the pitch he had Sanchez, who didn't once join the attack as Davies does. Also when playing out from the back Sanchez is slow or has the wrong body shape to switch the ball out to him quickly, so the ball ends up getting recycled back to Dier.

I do not like comp vid's but in the absence of anything else good bad and ugly like an all touches from single game video, this will have to do. It's him a Spurs shirt, LOADS of 1v1's in here and all of them done with technical know-how rather than lumping the ball into space to run onto like Reggie (of which he loses almost all of those). Bare in mind that this is also under managers with zero attacking gameplan.

He's far more composed on the ball in advanced positions, far more useful in attack than an out of control player like Reggie.

I seriously doubt that that the two cases have any relationship. The Ilaix business was scuppered by his agents at the last minute (and by-the-by has left the lad wasting a whole year of his career), our interest in Emerson went back to when he was on loan at Betis, at least. That and the fact they play in completely different positions.

It's not like the days when young men purchased jazz mags - Men Only was sold out so you made do with a copy of Knave, which did the job and was a bit cheaper...

I often think that as fans we wildly misjudge how clubs conduct their transfer business - it's like how you see people wondering if our interest in x is actually just a smokescreen for our real target y. I just don't think clubs operate anything like that.
Knave?

You posh bitch.

I was always a Razzle man.

I completly and utterly disagree.

Because Reggie dose everything at 100mph is why he's so far not been that great at attacking. Just take the last game against Brentford as an example, a game where he was good and had a posertive influence on especially in attack. His delivery (apart from the goal) was really very poor - As I said above in the thread this isn't entirely down to him, the entire team is not quite clicking yet with Conte's attacking automations, so runs are delayed, crosses/passes delayed or both, this will come but probably will not see this flow until next season(???).

His attacking influence was better than Emerson's in this game for ONE reason only and that he's got Davies under and overlapping in attack with him, there are overloads being created.

On Emerson's side of the pitch he had Sanchez, who didn't once join the attack as Davies does. Also when playing out from the back Sanchez is slow or has the wrong body shape to switch the ball out to him quickly, so the ball ends up getting recycled back to Dier.

I do not like comp vid's but in the absence of anything else good bad and ugly like an all touches from single game video, this will have to do. It's him a Spurs shirt, LOADS of 1v1's in here and all of them done with technical know-how rather than lumping the ball into space to run onto like Reggie (of which he loses almost all of those). Bare in mind that this is also under managers with zero attacking gameplan.

He's far more composed on the ball in advanced positions, far more useful in attack than an out of control player like Reggie.

I couldn’t agree more.

People are loathe to give Davies any credit whatsoever. Of course he has his flaws, but he knows the left side position in a three inside out. Knows exactly when to push forward, when to hang back. He went on a marauding run within about five minutes of the start - you can demonstrably see how much confidence he has there. Reguillon benefited massively as the Brentford defence were getting pulled this way and that on that side of the pitch.

Sanchez, as you say, was much more static. And I’m not criticising him for that. He’s possibly much happier in a four with someone outside him that’s not too far away. The three needs you to me more confident in passing - he probably doesn’t like that.

I was always a Razzle fan myself.

I was always a Razzle fan myself.
Robert Redford Nod GIF

I couldn’t agree more.

People are loathe to give Davies any credit whatsoever. Of course he has his flaws, but he knows the left side position in a three inside out. Knows exactly when to push forward, when to hang back. He went on a marauding run within about five minutes of the start - you can demonstrably see how much confidence he has there. Reguillon benefited massively as the Brentford defence were getting pulled this way and that on that side of the pitch.

Sanchez, as you say, was much more static. And I’m not criticising him for that. He’s possibly much happier in a four with someone outside him that’s not too far away. The three needs you to me more confident in passing - he probably doesn’t like that.
Yep. And I can only guess that the instruction was for him (Sanchez) to stay at home and don't push up too. We will see if that's the case today and whether Tanganga pushes on, my guess now is that it will be more or less the same vs Brentford, with Reggie pushed up supported by Davies under/overlapping (would also push Aarons back more too). (I don't know much about their LWB Williams but they are mirroring us today so maybe just a day of individual match-ups).

Yep. And I can only guess that the instruction was for him (Sanchez) to stay at home and don't push up too. We will see if that's the case today and whether Tanganga pushes on, my guess now is that it will be more or less the same vs Brentford, with Reggie pushed up supported by Davies under/overlapping (would also push Aarons back more too). (I don't know much about their LWB Williams but they are mirroring us today so maybe just a day of individual match-ups).
I hope they’re not being told to hold back on the right. I’d understand it, to keep the defensive shape, but it does make us unbalanced. Plus, with two tenacious, but not necessarily progressive midfielders, we can struggle to get the ball forward.

Anyway, let’s see.

COYS.

I hope they’re not being told to hold back on the right. I’d understand it, to keep the defensive shape, but it does make us unbalanced. Plus, with two tenacious, but not necessarily progressive midfielders, we can struggle to get the ball forward.

Anyway, let’s see.

COYS.
I would instruct Sanchez to stay back, try and keep the game simple for him until Romero is back. It's unbalanced but playing a lopsided or a-symmetrical system can also unbalance the oppo, it was Sanchez and Emerson that played out through Brentford's press to set-up our breakaway goal.

Back
Top Bottom