Are the morals of our owners important to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically proves the point that money talks. And for all everyone's lip service to equality, they are happy to forget about it if your team wins a few trophies.

True colours coming out left, right and centre.

If someone is fine with this fine but don’t ever give me a moral lecture on anything, ever!

It’s just the hypocrisy is staggering, it’s truly unbelievable. How is anybody to believe a word that comes from the Premier league’s mouth.

How is it that the working class and football fans in general can be held to a vastly higher standard than the actual rich owners of these clubs. Ban people for homophobia and racism but let the game be run by slave owners, racist homophobic murderers.

It makes you so cynical of everything, it makes you feel nothing is sincere, it’s just a game where people at the top using morality as a means not for improving society but keeping others at bay. Worse still is the passive and sometimes happy acceptance of this by the media who have obviously be bought out.
Its worse when you put it into words isn't it?

Not really, I dislike Joe Lewis a lot. But we are talking about links to a government that has spread the ideology than underpins ISIS and Al-Qaeda and has the most appalling human rights. If this is acceptable than why should theoretically Joseph Stalin not be allowed to buy a team. It’s the lowest of the low, it embarrassing.
A communist would at the very least put the team first.:sonpoint:

I think it will take a while before this "takeover" has any real impact. It will take a few seasons before Newcastle have enough success to attract the best players. Until then, they'll be paying way over the odds for non-performing players just like Man City did.

I have very fond memories of the 95/96 Newcastle team that nearly won the league and there is a part of me that would love to see another Geordie-informed title race.

I'm proud of our club's history and I don't want it tainted with the notion of "bought" success. We earned all the trophies we won and we won them in style and that's how we'll win them in the future.

Jonathan Woodgate of course. Him and his gang chased a guy, called him paki, bit him, fractured him etc. Our owners bought him.Scored in the league cup final for us afterwards.

Not exactly the type of pro we should be having I agree, not sure how that is comparable to being funded by a government with direct links to terrorism that has the most appalling human rights you can think of.

Not exactly the type of pro we should be having I agree, not sure how that is comparable to being funded by a government with direct links to terrorism that has the most appalling human rights you can think of
So since our current owners employed a known convicted racist. You are okay with owners who are fine with racism?

The Tories sell weapons to said 'islamofascists' ... are those who deal arms to criminals much better than the criminals who pull the trigger themselves? Or are they all covered in the same blood and valuing profit over lives?

Not sure how you've ended up with it but they're not my words you're quoting.....

Stupid question. To be the owner of the vast majority football clubs in the premier league you need to be a billionaire. Or at least close to that level in terms of individual net worth. There is no such thing as an Ultra High Net Worth Individual WITH morals as in order to accumulate such wealth you have to a bad and amoral person.
Name me a football ownership structure that is virtuous and on the right side of the argument? I don’t think you can.
Unless you are in Germany in which fan ownership is a thing.
Newcastle’s new owners are awful, and it shouldn't be allowed. But we are getting into a debate about lesser evils. Our ownership: tax dodging, Conservative party donating, scrounges who were willing to let the government pay their staff during the pandemic and constantly support governenment policy and in doing so tacitly support growing inequality and poverty in this country. They bankroll the very things that are wrong in our society and people like Marcus Rashford are fighting against.
So please don’t suggest a “moral owner” is a thing. Because it is not. The only moral ownership structure is majority rule fan ownership.
But that won’t happen here. So I have accepted that whoever owns our club is will be an amoral cunt - but I’d rather take an amoral cunt who will invest in the team and see us as more than a live events venue (that they didn’t even pay for)

Well yes, executing, torturing and persecuting journalists, campaigners for democracy, women, homosexuals is a lesser evil. I mean, it's not even in the same ballpark. I dislike the Tories intently, but "Joe Lewis is a Tory" just doesn't stack up against that list of charges.

If the price of Spurs winning a league title was having a whole bunch of people beheaded and hung then... well I'm quite happy midtable. Hell, I'd rather be in League Two.

So you are equating Saudi Islamofacists with the Conservative Party. Fucking hell.

The Tories sell weapons to said 'islamofascists' ... are those who deal arms to criminals much better than the criminals who pull the trigger themselves? Or are they all covered in the same blood and valuing profit over lives?

So since our current owners employed a known convicted racist. You are okay with owners who are fine with racism?

The owners are not fine with racism, I am not a fan of our owners and would rather they be gone and I don’t see how the conversation has any relevance. We are talking about a club that is now owned by people who have financed terrorism and committed gross human right violatations including chopping up people in embassies. Joe Lewis has faults but I don’t expect him to chop Daniel Levy up on his Yacht.

Back
Top Bottom