Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what they are trying to guess, how much you would get for them.
I guess. But it then does not correlate at all with how much value they provide when playing. What is the point of having 25 under 21s who have lots of potential selling value versus a bunch of older ones who can actually win things.

I guess. But it then does not correlate at all with how much value they provide when playing. What is the point of having 25 under 21s who have lots of potential selling value versus a bunch of older ones who can actually win things.
That's not what they are trying to do though, they are valuing in £ if sold or so I thought. You are describing best or most likely to win, different thing.

Wages arent arbitrary though. You will mostly find good players on good wages and shit ones on shit wages.

You say mostly, but I've provided 3 different scenarios that are hardly uncommon and significantly distort the notion that wages = quality.

Isolate this discussion from the original tweet and think for a mo..... If someone said to you "X has the best squad cos they have the highest wage bill" you'd just say "meh".... Well I certainly would anyway.

That's not what they are trying to do though, they are valuing in £ if sold or so I thought.
I guess if thats what they want to do, sounds like a boring thing to do. Not like anyone is selling their entire squad, so no point in guessing such a value. Id be more interested if someone worked on finding out how good a squad actually is.

You say mostly, but I've provided 3 different scenarios that are hardly uncommon and significantly distort the notion that wages = quality.

Isolate this discussion from the original tweet and think for a mo..... If someone said to you "X has the best squad cos they have the highest wage bill" you'd just say "meh".... Well I certainly would anyway.
That would definitely be a meh moment. But like i said to the other rusx, transfermarkt values are also not about whose squad is good. Its just about how much would someone get sold for based more on their age/contract length

I guess if thats what they want to do, sounds like a boring thing to do. Not like anyone is selling their entire squad, so no point in guessing such a value. Id be more interested if someone worked on finding out how good a squad actually is.
They rank all sorts of shit which is mostly guesswork most valuable brand etc no real value but has uses if taken as it is. Broadly it shows who can generate revenue with sales if needed. Taken with transfer fees it shows who improves players vs opposite.

All bollox but if you know what it is still some use.

That would definitely be a meh moment. But like i said to the other rusx, transfermarkt values are also not about whose squad is good. Its just about how much would someone get sold for based more on their age/contract length

......But not without the over-riding consideration as to how good they are.

......But not without the over-riding consideration as to how good they are.
Oh they do.Age/ Length of contract almost overrides everything. Sissoko is currently 9 million, winks 18 million, Fernandinho 1.8million. Is Sissoko 5 times better or Winks 10 times better than Fernandinho? Age+ length of contract absolutely blasting any relevance of how good the player is. Everything on that website is completely distorted by age+length of contract.

If only we could have got 9 million for Sissoko or 18 for winks.

Oh they do.Age/ Length of contract almost overrides everything. Sissoko is currently 9 million, winks 18 million, Fernandinho 1.8million. Is Sissoko 5 times better or Winks 10 times better than Fernandinho? Age+ length of contract absolutely blasting any relevance of how good the player is. Everything on that website is completely distorted by age+length of contract.

If only we could have got 9 million for Sissoko or 18 for winks.

Age has a tangible value outside of contractual terms though..... If you had 2 players of equal percieved ability; one 22 and one 32..... Inevitably, the one with room to grow and physically more in the tank would be more desirable (and thus percieved as more valuable) no?

Anyway, I think we're better off agreeing that neither are an ideal, nor exact science, mate....

Don't see how.....

Players are vastly overpaid in some instances.... In others they're paid far less than inferior players.

Aubamyang 350kpw.
or
Kane 200kpw.

Willian (formerly) 250kpw.
Ozil (formerly) 350kpw
Luiz (formely) 250kpw
Calumn Chambers £130kpw

????
Chambers on £130k pw? Seriously they are a shower of shite!!?

Age has a tangible value outside of contractual terms though..... If you had 2 players of equal percieved ability; one 22 and one 32..... Inevitably, the one with room to grow and physically more in the tank would be more desirable (and thus percieved as more valuable) no?

Anyway, I think we're better off agreeing that neither are an ideal, nor exact science, mate....
O yea definitely not exact science at all.

Weve always laughed at transfermarkt values on this forum. Would be silly to suddenly embrace them.

O yea definitely not exact science at all.

Weve always laughed at transfermarkt values on this forum. Would be silly to suddenly embrace them.

My only real take-away from the tweet was that a) it was compiled without bias and b) yet again we see financial par underlined in yet another metric.

My only real take-away from the tweet was that a) it was compiled without bias and b) yet again we see financial par underlined in yet another metric.
Yea its very possible that we have the 5th best squad currently(possibly 6th) but I would agree with transfermarkt that far too much of our value is generated by Kane(our lottery win) and Son. The rest of the squad isnt as good as it should be even if we can acknowledge that some effort was put in fixing a few of the problems within the squad (but not enough)

Yea its very possible that we have the 5th best squad currently(possibly 6th) but I would agree with transfermarkt that far too much of our value is generated by f Kane(our lottery win) and Son. The rest of the squad isnt as good as it should be even if we can acknowledge that some effort was put in fixing a few of the problems within the squad (but not enough)
Has a lot more potential to increase than last year to be fair. I mean they might all be shit, but we knew after 3+ years of Sissoko, Aurier and those other stinkers that we had less hope than Bob

Yea its very possible that we have the 5th best squad currently(possibly 6th) but I would agree with transfermarkt that far too much of our value is generated by the prices of Kane(our lottery win) and Son. The rest of the squad isnt as good as it should be even if we can acknowledge that some effort was put in fixing a few of the problems within the squad.

When you look at some of the fees we've doled out, one could argue we should be even better (valuable?).....

I know what you mean by "lottery win", but if we'd sold him and spend a massive fee in the trf market would that change the perceived underlying value of the squad (see Villa/Grealish) and somehow make it more valid....?

There's also the fact that Foden, Rashford, Mount, TAA or whoever you care to mention are academy-born first teamers that add significant value (both footballing and financial) to their respective teams.... Why should only we be down-valued based on that criteria?

Finally, the money we (and others) invested in academy and scouting could have just as easily been spent in the trf market... It's all ties in with the chain that is income + profit > wealth (affordability) > spending > squad (quality/value)..... There's no more tangible value/quality added to a squad if they were to have closed their accademy and just plow all their income directly into the trf market.

Wages arent arbitrary though. You will mostly find good players on good wages and shit ones on shit wages.
Talking of wages, Salah's demands for 1/2 mil p.w don't seem to fit his supposed ethos
Islamic law considers money to have no intrinsic value. Money is a measure of value only, and not valuable in itself; it is a medium of exchange or a unit of measurement, but not an asset. Money must therefore be converted into a commodity in order to be useful.Feb 13, 2017

Talking of wages, Salah's demands for 1/2 mil p.w don't seem to fit his supposed ethos
Islamic law considers money to have no intrinsic value. Money is a measure of value only, and not valuable in itself; it is a medium of exchange or a unit of measurement, but not an asset. Money must therefore be converted into a commodity in order to be useful.Feb 13, 2017

Slimey little git.

Got no love for the dippers, but rather than rock the boat 3 weeks into the season; why not pull that stunt during the trf window and give them a chance to sell if a deal can't be agreed?

RAWK must be feeewming! ....Off to get some pop-corn. :allitongue:

Slimey little git.

Got no love for the dippers, but rather than rock the boat 3 weeks into the season; why not pull that stunt during the trf window and give them a chance to sell if a deal can't be agreed?

RAWK must be feeewming! ....Off to get some pop-corn. :allitongue:
Liverpool approached him to negotiate a contract extension now not in the transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom