Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
19-20 season I watched a fair bit of Martinez and I was pretty underwhelmed, baring in mind the hype. I get he's got some moves and whatnot, and he produced slight better numbers last season, but he was very very dependent on Lukaku to do the heavy lifting - he very much seems like a guy who needs someone like Lukaku up there next to him to thrive.

So either we keep Kane and play them as a pair 442/352 - and then what happens to Son and also the AM's (Gill for example) or we sell Kane and play Martinez and who ?

Maybe we (Paratici/Nuno) see him as an inverted wide forward left forward in the 433, and I'd be ok with that notion, but that's pretty much where Son plays, who we've just given a bumper new contract to?

I just think we have the Martinez remit pretty much covered by Son don’t we? Surely we could spend this kind of money better, on a position where we have s bigger issue.

Martinez would make more sense to me if we were selling Son?

19-20 season I watched a fair bit of Martinez and I was pretty underwhelmed, baring in mind the hype. I get he's got some moves and whatnot, and he produced slight better numbers last season, but he was very very dependent on Lukaku to do the heavy lifting - he very much seems like a guy who needs someone like Lukaku up there next to him to thrive.

So either we keep Kane and play them as a pair 442/352 - and then what happens to Son and also the AM's (Gill for example) or we sell Kane and play Martinez and who ?

Maybe we (Paratici/Nuno) see him as an inverted wide forward left forward in the 433, and I'd be ok with that notion, but that's pretty much where Son plays, who we've just given a bumper new contract to?

I just think we have the Martinez remit pretty much covered by Son don’t we? Surely we could spend this kind of money better, on a position where we have s bigger issue.

It’s been rumored since we hired Nuno that he wants to play 442. I think signing Martinez would be evidence of that. He’d partner well with Kane and thrive off Harry’s creativity. Lukaku is a superb striker, but he obviously doesn’t have the all around game that Kane does.

If we sell Kane, we’ll almost certainly buy another striker like Vlahovic to play with Martinez.

If we sell Kane is there a position that we would need more than striker though?

If we go with 2 up front where does Son play, especially if it is a 4-4-2? It seems like another case of our better players not fitting with the potential formation we would play.

If we sold Kane and stuck with the 4-3-3 I was hoping that Martinez could work in a Firmino like role where his passing to two goal scoring wings would be as key to his finishing as well. Not sure if that would work for him but if we sell Kane the chances that we are going to be able to score enough with just bringing in one striker and not improving the goal scoring from another position is basically zero.

Going with a two up front with Martinez and Vlahovic seems like a massive waste of the Kane money and way too much spent on strikers.

Best Wishes Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

I also had a curry at the next table to Paul Weller once.... He was sat behind me and was close enough to smell my farts! 👊
I wonder if Weller remembers it as fondly

Of course he does he named his band after that evening
The Jam {tarts)
I believe his record label made him drop the bit in brackets as they thought it was a shit name

And? Do you think we'll buy him?

In any case, he's grossly overrated. Fast as shite off a shovel, but makes a right cunt of his finishing.
Mate, people are putting stories about other clubs signing players we're not on for daily. And people are relentlessly calling for Spurs to sign players that are above us..
I mean, I think some people actually believed there was a chance with Messi...

Just think, in the last few days, it might have been the case that Lionel Messi was imagining a move to Spurs. You know, he might have been thinking about. Weighing it up. We'll likely never know, but we might have been a baw hair away fae signing Messi. There's something nice about that. There is. If you look at it the right way.
Counts for nothing if you don't get a thank you letter...

I sincerely hope the Braithwaite links are bullshit.
I've never understood why he's at Barca, nor why he has a 300m release clause valuation. Whenever I've watched him I've been totally underwhelmed.
Because they panicked. Then got La Liga to allow them to be a special case and sign him a couple of days after the transfer window closed while not allowing Leganés, who don't have two céntimos to rub together, to sign replacements. It was a shocking piece of favouritism which predictably condemned a small, unfashionable club to relegation so that Mess of a Club could have him warm their bench in his first season there.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm new here. Spurs fan from Brazil living in Norway!

Why don't we just sell Kane? Why do so many supporters want to keep a player that by all reports, is not happy here?

If the reports of a £120 mil bid + Bernardo Silva are to be believed, i'd be cheeky if I were Levy and I'd ask for them to include Laporte.

If we can get that money + these two high level players in for Kane, i'd go:

- Damsgaard - £35 mil
- Lautaro Martinez - £55mil
- Barella or Brozovic - (between 60 - 25 mil depending on who you go for).
- Tomiyasu - 20 mil

Sell our disgruntled talisman and start again. We'd probably be a far far better team from it.

Gollini (or Lloris)
Tomiyasu Romero Laporte Reguilon
Barella/Brozovic PEH
Bernardo Damsgaard Son
Martinez

Subs (any 7 of):

Lloris/Gollini
Tanganga
Rodon
Sessegnon
Lucas
Skipp
GLC
Dele
Bergwijn
Gil
Winks
Scarlett
Dier
Aurier

(Apols if I missed anyone)

Try to sell or offload (if possible):

Sissoko
Sanchez
Ndombele (was a massive fan of his but not showing up fit to pre-season is unacceptable)
Doherty

Just my thoughts.

Don't think we can get Vlahovic. He'll renew with Fiorentina and with the new direction they are going in new coach in Vincenzo Italiano and with Burdisso in charge of player recruitment (already splashed out 25 mil on Nico Gonzalez), they want him to be the centre of the new project to go along with the young, exciting players they are buying and their very promising, attacking manager. I reckon Fiorentina may do a renaissance and do a Napoli/Atalanta in the Serie A in that they become a strong and attractive club to follow.
Don't ever post a lineup in your first message again.

Just teasing mate. Welcome.

Hi guys,

Why don't we just sell Kane? Why do so many supporters want to keep a player that by all reports, is not happy here?

If the reports of a £120 mil bid + Bernardo Silva are to be believed, i'd be cheeky if I were Levy and I'd ask for them to include Laporte.

- Damsgaard - £35 mil
- Tomiyasu - 20 mil

Sell our disgruntled talisman and start again. We'd probably be a far far better team from it.

Gollini (or Lloris)
Barella/Brozovic PEH
Bernardo Damsgaard Son
Martinez

Subs (any 7 of):

Lloris/Gollini
Tanganga
Rodon
Sessegnon
Lucas
Skipp
GLC
Dele
Bergwijn
Gil
Winks
Scarlett
Dier
Aurier

Sissoko
Sanchez
Ndombele (was a massive fan of his but not showing up fit to pre-season is unacceptable)
Doherty

Just my thoughts.

Don't think we can get Vlahovic. He'll renew with Fiorentina and with the new direction they are going in new coach in Vincenzo Italiano and with Burdisso in charge of player recruitment (already splashed out 25 mil on Nico Gonzalez), they want him to be the centre of the new project to go along with the young, exciting players they are buying and their very promising, attacking manager. I reckon Fiorentina may do a renaissance and do a Napoli/Atalanta in the Serie A in that they become a strong and attractive club to follow.
Excellent first post. Welcome.

Hi guys,

- Damsgaard - £35 mil
- Tomiyasu - 20 mil

Gollini (or Lloris)
Barella/Brozovic PEH
Bernardo Damsgaard Son
Martinez

Subs (any 7 of):

Lloris/Gollini
Tanganga
Rodon
Sessegnon
Lucas
Skipp
GLC
Dele
Bergwijn
Gil
Winks
Scarlett
Dier
Aurier

Sissoko
Sanchez
Doherty

Just my thoughts.

Firstly, welcome to TFC. Always nice to see a new face. Good first post.

As much as I like the transfers in you have suggested, even as the biggest Kane fan going, we aren't getting £120m plus 2 players worth £60-70m each included. It would either be £50m plus both or £100m and one of them.

Laporte and/or Silva instantly solve 2 problem areas. Add Martinez, a creative mid, another striker and a right back on to that and we're definitely a stronger team on paper, and genuinely have a team that should be pushing for the top 4 if not higher.

But I agree in the sense that if he is so desperate to leave, then make a deal for him. Kane is the best player I have ever seen for Spurs in my lifetime, but no one is bigger than the club. If (big if considering Bale money) we spend it right, then we could be a better team for it (Liverpool selling Coutinho almost) and with Patrici in charge of transfers then there is every chance that does happen.

However if the scattered reports of him signing a new deal are true then I'll be right behind him again!

Paris St-Germain will look to sell up to 10 first-team players to help balance the books following their signing of Argentina captain Lionel Messi, 34. Senegal midfielder Idrissa Gueye, 31, Spain midfielder Ander Herrera, 31, and 28-year-old Argentina striker Mauro Icardi are among those who could be moved on. (Sport - in Spanish)

Herrera would be a shrewd buy for the existing Spurs midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom