Summer 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sold Modric for £33m - thats 7million less than the £40mill we turned down 12 months earlier.

Now to me thats cut price.

Our position was not weakened two years ago. It was resolute despite Modric not only agitating for a move but going on strike.

A year later his value in the books is less. £33m was (I expect) still a very good deal (if not equally as profitable as the £40m 12 months prior).

We sold when we wanted, and for how much we wanted. RM were offering a hell of a lot less all summer, which is why it took until they folded at the end of the window to get the deal done.

We all know Levy would have kept Modric again had they not met an agreeable price.

Sound like a weak bargaining position to you?

I can see where you are coming from, but you're wrong. Sure Levy might play hardball, he might get stubborn, but only to a point. If Bale was constantly agitating for a move like Modric was, would Levy want to sell him now at a decent price, or force them to stay knowing they won't renew their contract in x number of years and could go for a much cheaper price at a later date.

Handing a transfer request in doesn't force anyone to sell a player, but it does make it publicly clear that someone wants to move on. It pushes the onus onto the club to deal with the matter. Keep an unhappy player, or sell them.

This is why Real try to stir up this kind of thing. They don't do it simply out of devilment, they do it because it's a proven way of getting the players they want at a price acceptable to them.

I dont believe it is wrong. The point evidenced here is that Levy sells only on Levys terms.

Yes, a transfer request will put us into a position of eventually selling a player where perhaps we didnt want too - but that does not mean that Levy is in a weak position in negotiations.

And I do believe the whole Modric episode could actually serve us well in future, clubs know he isnt bluffing when he says "Pay up or the player stays" and so will know to only come to us if they are serious.

Dont forget, Levy has had players like Bentley, Jenas and Gomes (and more!) hanging around the club, knowing full well they are of no use to us, knowing full well they are sucking millions out of him for no value because other clubs would not meet his valuations for them. He WILL cut his nose off to spite his face, "give me what I want or go fuck yourself" seems to be his default position.

We sold Modric for £33m - thats 7million less than the £40mill we turned down 12 months earlier.

Now to me thats cut price.
It wasn't a standard £33million + alot of add ons, between £5-8 million plus a weird ass deal where we apparently signed up for a camera to be installed at Hotspur Way for Madrid to purve on our players

A year later his value in the books is less. £33m was (I expect) still a very good deal (if not equally as profitable as the £40m 12 months prior).

Equally profitable? it's 7 million pounds less profitable, that may not sound much when you consider the sums involved, but it's still one maybe even two players salaries for a year.

Didn't you guys notice the hyper deflation over that 12 months :baletroll:.

3241876902_ffff596f93_o.jpg

Equally profitable? it's 7 million pounds less profitable, that may not sound much when you consider the sums involved, but it's still one maybe even two players salaries for a year.

In accounting terms it is quite possible, and to Levy I suspect those would be the terms he would think in.

Its all book value and amortisation and that sort of nonsense.

Concur! He's playing the 'mates' card.
Bale and Modric are two COMPLETELY different inviduals. Modric akin to Berbatov.
Not worried about this little episode at all.

How does any of us know what kind of individuals these guys are? Unless you know Modric, Berbatov, and Bale well personally I don't understand saying they're completely different people.

To be fair, if any of use was offered three times more in salary and a chance to live in Spain instead of England and work at the worlds biggest and most storied company we'd all take it

You can laugh, but its true.

I am yet to understand how you suppose a transfer request means Levy is in a weak position, all evidence points to the contrary IMO

You can laugh, but its true.

I am yet to understand how you suppose a transfer request means Levy is in a weak position, all evidence points to the contrary IMO

To be honest the fact that you think Modric's value dropping £7 Million in 12 months has nothing to do with him requesting a transfer and going on strike is pretty ludicrous.

Amortisation or not. You need to consider what contributed to his drop in value. It certainly wasn't his form, and he had 5 years left on his contract.

To be honest the fact that you think Modric's value dropping £7 Million in 12 months has nothing to do with him requesting a transfer and going on strike is pretty ludicrous.

Amortisation or not. You need to consider what contributed to his drop in value. It certainly wasn't his form, and he had 5 years left on his contract.

His contract was a further year on, this always effects value. His worth to us depreciated further in the books, his value was less (selling at £40m a year later would have been more profitable than the first summer!).

And hell - £7m or Modric for a year? Is that such a big difference in value to the club?

I dont see how his price coming down somewhat is evidence of Levys weak position.

Modric wanted to leave, Levy set a price - didnt get met so didnt sell.
A year later we were getting under cut, didnt sell until our value was met.

Does it occur to you our valuations may have been different summer on summer? Or that the £40m was even the base line Levy wanted?

For example - you are selling your car, and you are willing to accept £5,000 for it. Do you stick it on AutoTrader for £5,000? Or £5,999?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom