Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all have high hopes for Skipp but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I feel we need to improve in CM in both bringing back Skipp and making at least 1 new CM signings.
Agree with that. I’ve not written off Holberg, he will be better next to a silky DM playing as an 8 or more of an impact sub

We don´t have a number 10, no one that can see and make those opening passes that is needed when playing in possession (I´m counting on us bringing in a possession minded attacking new coach) and trying to break through a parked bus defence.

Ndombele is great att coping with preassure, bud to be honest he hasn´t given us many points. Right now, he´s more of a youtube player then anything else.

Lo Celso is also a bit strange. He´s like a new Lamela, the same skillset, always injured, painfully left footed. Maybee att bit better att defending and link up play but not much.

What we need is to sell one of these or both and bring in a number ten. Graelish?
I'm not sure you can set up a team like that any more ... he's the 9, he's the 10, he's a winger. You have to be able to play different ways and change even during a game.
Like the low block/long diagonal in behind to Son. It worked like a treat for a bit, but teams worked it out and now they all know how to stop it.

I think we have a problem to solve internally first. Kane seems to be playing a lot deeper than before and we need to work out why.

Is it because we were playing defensively and he naturally wanted to close the gap between defence and attack?

Does he want to be a number 10?

Is he playing in that are because we don’t have a number 10?

Or is the fact that he’s choosing to play there a reason we don’t play one, so therefore should be looking for a new number 9?

Kane is playing the best football of his career, Mourinho promised to make him a Hollywood player and that's what he's done. He's our best scorer, creator and defender and that's a good thing. He's given the freedom to play as he wishes and it's taken him to a new level.

The problem is that we now only have 3 players we can trust. Kane, Son and Hugo. The others all lack quality, fitness or consistent effort . If we had more creativity in the squad then Kane wouldn't need to roam around so much, but needs must. Because Gio and Ndombele have been so poor Kane has had to take on Eriksen's playmaking role as well as being our main striker.

The top teams right now play with very fluid forward groups that are positionless, they move around constantly so defenders don't know who to mark or where to be. That's how City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Leicester are playing right now. All the pundits say you have to have a top quality main striker to win, but that is further proof that 99 per cent of pundits talk out of their arse. They don't use their eyes, they just go on "this is how I did it back in the day".

The top teams right now play with very fluid forward groups that are positionless, they move around constantly so defenders don't know who to mark or where to be. That's how City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Leicester are playing right now. All the pundits say you have to have a top quality main striker to win, but that is further proof that 99 per cent of pundits talk out of their arse. They don't use their eyes, they just go on "this is how I did it back in the day".
I think you either have to have a top striker, or spend billions on the other ten positions. City and Chelsea have gone down the spending route. Liverpool were winning when Salah was banging them in and Leicester have had Vardy in the first half of the season and Ienacho in the second half. Obviously an argument that Ienacho isn’t top quality, but he is bang in form.

We could certainly do the fluid thing if we had a stronger right side and if Kane just drifted side to side, but not back and forth.

The primary skill of almost any television personality is the ability to talk effortlessly and blindly out of their ass while appearing superficially masterful on the subject.

The thing is, almost any "expert" television commentary on a given subject is bound to frustrate and annoy people with legitimate knowledge on a given subject, but the reverse is true as well that if experts gave legit expert instruction on that subject, they wouldn't be able to pack it into a 10 second soundbite, and it would frustrate and confuse the average listener.

The primary skill of almost any television personality is the ability to talk effortlessly and blindly out of their ass while appearing superficially masterful on the subject.

The thing is, almost any "expert" television commentary on a given subject is bound to frustrate and annoy people with legitimate knowledge on a given subject, but the reverse is true as well that if experts gave legit expert instruction on that subject, they wouldn't be able to pack it into a 10 second soundbite, and it would frustrate and confuse the average listener.
Stephen Jackson was saying something like this the other day. If him and Matt Barnes talk basketball then they lose viewers for All The Smoke, but if he retells the "Malice in the Palace" story for the millionth time viewers can't get enough. We get the shows we deserve I guess.

I'm not sure you can set up a team like that any more ... he's the 9, he's the 10, he's a winger. You have to be able to play different ways and change even during a game.
Like the low block/long diagonal in behind to Son. It worked like a treat for a bit, but teams worked it out and now they all know how to stop it.
I guess you are right. And I hope the new coach (Potter?) will have some time to analyse what he needs and how to use the players before to much selling and buying goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom