Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keep seeing Son getting stick for his performance yesterday. He obviously didn't have a great one but I don't think he's entirely to blame.

Appears to me that Mason decided the best way to get at City would be targeting their full backs. Son stayed up high on the left, waiting for an outlet pass to come, something in behind. Even Kane couldn't pick one out to him. Lucas on the other flank seemed to be set deeper with expectations to run through them. I do understand why Bale didn't start - he offers more in games we dominate the ball. I also understand why getting at Walker seemed like a good idea.. but Walker was not pushing up like he can do. He saw the threat of arguably our most dangerous player so sat with him - makes sense.

There's so much praise being thrown around about City with the ball, patient play, passing teams off the pitch etc. But I don't think that's why they beat us. I actually think they were poor with the ball in the final third. They didn't deserve to be 4-0 up like some say. Why should a team deserve goals they can't convert? This isn't unusual to see from City this season though.. but for me where they won the game was simply denying us balls out to wingers getting in behind their full backs. They set up a rigid formation and had no intention of repeating the defeat against us earlier in the season.

Deny our flanks.. sit deep with our wingers, press our full backs, let Foden wiggle around our immobile CBs. Absolutely do not let us counter with fluidity - pick up cards over conceded goals. Worked a treat. I don't think there's a manager in the world who could have come up with a tactic to counter them yesterday with the players available. We went out there relying on 'a bit of luck'.. a defensive error, a world class pass, an off day for one of their stars - and they didn't come and nor should we expect them to.

Felt like Reguilon had an absolute shocker which should secure his future with us. Madrid won't want to touch that. Lets just hope we can bring in another full back whisperer.

Football isn't binary. Had he been given a yellow for his first tackle he wouldn't have made another yellow offence tackle, just like he didn't when he did receive his yellow. Just like all their other players on yellows didn't.
Errrmmm...might have. Your argument implies that no one ever got 2 yellows right? Didn't winks get zinchenko a second yellow , thus reducing them to 10 men this aiding us in winning (I think last season?). Yeah sure, if you're booked, you're gonna be more careful but as a player you can't always avoid that 2nd yellow...it only takes a misjudged tackle, mistiming a challenge or an 'accidental' elbow and you're off so yeah he should have been booked and then who knows what may have happened ...
Ps you said football isn't binary then say had he been booked for the 1st tackle he wouldn't have made another yellow offence tackle ... Seems fairly binary to me

I don't feel like we should melt after yesterday taken as a one-off cup final. City are a financially doped squad, one of the very best in the world right now, resources well beyond our means. We lost 1-0.

We can't blame the ref IMO, those types of 'should have been a yellow' happen all of the time. Reality is although we didn't play terribly we were second best all over the pitch (as anticipated) Hugo kept us in with some fine saves. Had Hojbjerg had a bit more composure or it falls to someone else it could have been different.

Kane, Son, Bale all off days. Can't be immune from criticism yesterday IMO, even if Kane was rushed back and wasn't fit - we've seen that script before. I don't understand why Sissoko came on, but then I don't understand why he's still at the club. Poch, Jose and Mason obviously see something I don't.

Pissed off but not really at yesterday, on a bigger picture - where do we go from here? Mourinho was always going to end in tears. Levy should have had a contingency for that from Day 0, just like he did when he got rid of our greatest manager for a generation.

Errrmmm...might have. Your argument implies that no one ever got 2 yellows right? Didn't winks get zinchenko a second yellow , thus reducing them to 10 men this aiding us in winning (I think last season?). Yeah sure, if you're booked, you're gonna be more careful but as a player you can't always avoid that 2nd yellow...it only takes a misjudged tackle, mistiming a challenge or an 'accidental' elbow and you're off so yeah he should have been booked and then who knows what may have happened ...
Ps you said football isn't binary then say had he been booked for the 1st tackle he wouldn't have made another yellow offence tackle ... Seems fairly binary to me

He also wouldn't have been able to stop Moura in that second yellow thus giving us a 3v2 with the three being Moura Kane and Son

City did it all game and had 3-4 players on yellows from doing it, it's what made the subs all the more frustrating

No, my argument is you can't view the game retrospectively and assume the same things would have occurred had something that didn't happen, happen.

He didn't make another yellow-carded tackle once on a yellow. That's all I know, that's all I saw, that's all that happened. He might have made another one, but he didn't.

That's not the point being made.

Pep is not anti football, in possession of the ball.

But his tactic of persistent tactical fouling is anti football. They make no attempt to win the ball back fairly. They are happy to give a little foul away so that they can regroup and get into shape.

Tactical fouling has just meant the art of tackling in modern football has gone. Part of the reason is also that good clean tackles particularly sliding tackles are getting penalised by the refs.

I hate tactical fouls but it's part of modern football.
And the reason a lot of decent fans are leaving the game to be replaced by wannabe hipsters who know fuck all how the beautiful game should be played but are happy paying extortionate prices to watch games

They don’t even follow teams just players and managers like the fanbois that they are

Seems clairvoyant to me!

‘Knowing’ that if a player got booked for a foul early on he wouldn’t have done it again!!!
LOL 😂

Every team tactically fouls, bar none.

Yet the ref's also come under stick for not letting the game flow, especially in finals, how many times have you heard the words the ref ruined that final because someone got sent off early or whatever.

We were comprehensively outplayed, just accept we were beaten by the better side. Nothing changes this.
Why dont you read what I said first. I said we were shite theres no disputing that. My point is city have been tactical fouling for years and getting away with it for too long. Ask yourself this would the ref had sent off a spurs player for doing the same thing. Dam sure he would. Oh and Mr Tierny (Ref) is from Wigan a stones throw from Manchester 25.8 miles away.

At least Sammy never claimed to be a professional footballer who's played for 40 years non-stop

Shiver in the dark.....

No, my argument is you can't view the game retrospectively and assume the same things would have occurred had something that didn't happen, happen.

He didn't make another yellow-carded tackle once on a yellow. That's all I know, that's all I saw, that's all that happened. He might have made another one, but he didn't.
You said football wasn't binary then said once booked he didn't make another bookable challenge. True. But, had he been booked he wouldn't have been ble to do the 2nd one this leaving us 3 v 2.

Like I said he should never have been appointed, then sacked during 1st lockdown last season.

But since his sacking, the entire mood has lifted at the club, both fans and players breathing a huge sigh of relief. The win against Southampton too would have also given a small injection of positivity and confidence (we outshot a team for what feels like an eternity, there was a change of approach to that game, backed up by what the players have been saying), not enough to bridge the gulf of course as that's going to take some time to fix.

But 100% fans and the players had more of a vested interest in this game than had we gone into it with a dead man walking.
And another devastating disappointment at the end but fuck the fans and how do you know it was 100% of all Spurs fans having a vested interest?

It’s not even 100% of posters on here!!

All we can agree on is Levy is a cunt and has fucked up big time since Poch arrived!

You said football wasn't binary then said once booked he didn't make another bookable challenge. True. But, had he been booked he wouldn't have been ble to do the 2nd one this leaving us 3 v 2.
And surely one of the reasons for having a Forum in the first place is to view a game retrospectively and to have differences of opinion without certain posters calling other posters who disagree with them ‘Weirdos’!!

That's the point, referees that dont apply the rules properly cause controversy like yesterday

Yes.

But I'm not supposing or guessing an outcome on what didn't happen.

He wasn't booked (he should have been). He, therefore, wasn't on a yellow so he, therefore, he could make, and did, a yellow carded tackle to break up play. This is what happened.

To imagine something different from this happening is utterly pointless. To assume that had he got a yellow that he would have got a 2nd is utterly pointless, it would have probably been another player that made the tackle, why because they know exactly what they are doing, they are trained to do this, it is a pattern of their game, it's is part of their gameplay, they are prepared to do just this. It means they aren't out of control, they are in total control of what they are doing.

I think it's great in game management. The best teams break up play and stop threatening attacks and take the yellows. Look at that peak Woolwich side. Gilberto Silva did that for them all the time. I see madrid do it countless times. You need intelligence in the middle of the park and we have none.

I'm not saying its not clever. It's clearly incredibly effective.

I'm saying that they're stopping other teams playing by committing intentional fouls. By definition, a foul is a foul because its not allowed in the rules of football - therefore any gameplan that involves intentional fouling is anti-football.

Back
Top Bottom