Season Run in

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Either way it came we are still.in with a shout of 4th and well beyond the point of shame.

We are honestly good enough to be 2nd or 3rd so I have no idea what has gone wrong but credit Mourinho and the players. Shoes what a bit of passion can do..

That will make for a more comfortable evening for the players as much as it does for us..

Mourinho's wine will taste nicer tonight

It's entirely in our own hands to finish above them.
We need to better both WHU and Chelsea in one game to finish above them.
that sounds doable... however assumes none of the three do worse than LFC over two games... also everton has a game in hand

Leicester's next two fixtures are City (H) and West Ham (A), I could see them getting dragged into the top 4 race.

They also have a horrible end to the season, United (A), Chelsea (A) and us at home. If we're 4 or 5 points behind them going into the last 3, I would fancy our chances.

3 points off 4th again with 9 games to go

Leicester beating Sheffield United yesterday puts us 8 points off Leicester in 3rd which is possibly out of reach without us winning all our remaining games (Leicester have averaged less than 2 points a game).

And only 9 points off 2nd. Extraordinary

Would like to see more of Tanganga and Rodon in our remaining games too !
Definitely appreciate the optimism.

Definitely appreciate the optimism.

See post above yours.

Playing pretty much once a week the players have no excuses for not putting in a full shift..... so a slip up or two from those in 3rd/4th above (and even possibly 2nd if they lose 3 ) and its very much in the balance.

But there's a few teams in the hunt for top 4 still

Am I saying its probable we get top 4 = no

Am I saying its possible - definitely ! And 5th definitely better than 6th or 7th

Based on form we will lose against any club place higher than 10th (we've not beaten a single team at the point of playing them placed higher than 10th all season) so that's a loss to Man U, Leicester and Everton. Leaving a potential 27 pts to play for.

If results all went the same way then our wins could come from SHU, Leeds, Brighton and now Villa (12pts) with draws from Newcastle & Wolves (2pts) so 14 pts from 27.

The final CL spot really is a big ask, as Chelsea are playing better than us, as too are all the clubs above us. The one thing to factor in is the effect of Europe but Chelsea are rotating their squad and look a very hard team to beat. The shame is that of the teams above us we still have to play, only Man U are still in Europe, they are away to the mighty Grenada 72hrs before they play us, so this should give us an advantage and maybe our best chance of 3pts.

See post above yours.

Playing pretty much once a week the players have no excuses for not putting in a full shift..... so a slip up or two from those in 3rd/4th above (and even possibly 2nd if they lose 3 ) and its very much in the balance.

Am I saying its probable = no

Am I saying its possible - definitely !
Agreed. Also wasn't being sarcastic either (if it came across that way). I genuinely appreciate the outlook. This team needed something positive today and I hope the players soak it up and remember this feeling.

Based on form we will lose against any club place higher than 10th (we've not beaten a single team at the point of playing them placed higher than 10th all season) so that's a loss to Man U, Leicester and Everton. Leaving a potential 27 pts to play for.

If results all went the same way then our wins could come from SHU, Leeds, Brighton and now Villa (12pts) with draws from Newcastle & Wolves (2pts) so 14 pts from 27.

The final CL spot really is a big ask, as Chelsea are playing better than us, as too are all the clubs above us. The one thing to factor in is the effect of Europe but Chelsea are rotating their squad and look a very hard team to beat. The shame is that of the teams above us we still have to play, only Man U are still in Europe, they are away to the mighty Grenada 72hrs before they play us, so this should give us an advantage and maybe our best chance of 3pts.

But as we've been playing weekend and midweek every week bar one this season, its pretty clear our best players have been fatigued.

Playing once a week, and maybe our form suddenly improves to be a tad better than 3rd and 4th placed teams...... and wins v ManU, Everton and Leicester are not impossible ......and the gap is not too large to get into top 3 or 4.

But as we've been playing weekend and midweek every week bar one this season, its pretty clear our best players have been fatigued.

Playing once a week, and maybe our form suddenly improves to be a tad better than 3rd and 4th placed teams...... and wins v ManU, Everton and Leicester are not impossible ......and the gap is not too large to get into top 3 or 4.
Same as last year once we were out of all the cups and we'd had that break from lockdown we picked up a bit. You would think a manager like Jose would realize elying on Kane and Son to play every minute of every game is not a sustainable strategy but yet here we are a year later and that is basically what he's done all season.

But Everton isn't in Europe and are now out of the Cups. Chealse are fully rotating their team and are still unbeaten, they will lose a game I'm sure as they aren't perfect but right now they are miles better than us.

I think Leicester have enough in the tank to get the points they need, they employed last season, so it would be nice for a repeat of this and they do have a significant injury list but having seen them beat with ease Man U today they look as though they are far enough ahead for us not to catch them.

If our players are fatigued it's because they haven't been rotated enough, unless our top players aren't injured Jose has tended to play them. He will continue to play them in the last few games too, the only dif is they won't be playing in Europe but again, Everton, West Ham, Leicester aren't too.

Our final game at Leicester should be interesting...
Typical they could have 10k fans at home for it.
Hope if so they are obliged to have some away fans but I doubt it.
That last day of fixtures will be very unfair to the away teams given that there is no corresponding attendance the previous week for them at home.

I don't see who we catch in the top 4. Chelsea's next 3 are West Brom, Palace and Brighton wheras we play Newcastle, Man U and Everton. I'm struggling to see more than 4 or 5 pts from us there. Pretty sure Chelsea get 9 from their 3 games and will be out of sight.
Leicester yesterday were sensational, we've probably played that well once this season (Utd away). They aren't going to collapse. We might get closer in the next set of fixtures as they have City but that will be about as close as we get.

Back
Top Bottom