January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How would he be fitted into the squad considering our homegrown issues? Particularly if we sell Dele to make room for him?

Still need to find an overseas trained place for him - either selling/loaning out or just leaving out an overseas trained player (not easy to do and reduces value of player left out)

I'm sceptical of the story.

I think Lamela is done and there’s a very high chance he’ll leave this month:

- works hard but doesn’t contribute many assists or goals
- woeful injury record
- out of contract in 18 months
- Covid debacle
- Now been done for speeding twice and is awaiting a 3rd court date for speeding

Spurs problem is probably who will pay decent money to take him.....and without having to part pay his wages

I know he’s been off colour for some time but can anyone honestly say we don’t need a player with his style to bridge gaps at present?

Get him back in, give him a little TLC, options consisting of Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Son, Kane just looks too appealing to me given being in 4 competitions still.

If it’s Eriksen or nobody, I think this one is a no brainer personally.
Well, I've got a brain and it's a no from me.

i agree we need someone like Eriksen was, but remember he like many of our players post the world cup just didn't perform as they had before the world cup

No idea what they're planning this window but when you look at our fixtures over the next few months I don't think I'd sniff at bringing back a player like Eriksen. He seems a shadow of what he was, looks a bit bloated and depressed actually. The last two years of his career have went against all of his expectation and it's understandable on a human level. If he was eager to return and Mourinho was happy to have him I think he'd be of good use.
Edit: there probably 30 players you could name younger and hungrier we'd be better served bringing in, just going on the rumour.

Don't see any anybody paying for Gaz, Lucas, Lamela. Would definitely keep Dele, an injury to Son or Kane and his departure would be felt sorely.

I figure we'll leave a few kids out on loan and maybe pick up a player none of us is considering on a 6 month loan. Sabitzer, CB etc. will all have to wait until Summer.

Last edited:
No idea what they're planning this window but when you look at our fixtures over the next few months I don't think I'd sniff at bringing back a player like Eriksen. He seems a shadow of what he was, looks a bit bloated and depressed actually. The last two years of his career have went against all of his expectation and it's understandable on a human level. If he was eager to return and Mourinho was happy to have him I think he'd be of good use.
Edit: there probably 30 players you could name younger and hungrier we'd be better served bringing in, just going on the rumour.

Don't see any anybody paying for Gaz, Lucas, Lamela. Would definitely keep Dele, an injury to Son or Kane and his departure would be felt sorely.

I figure we'll leave a few kids out on loan and maybe pick up a player none of us is considering on a 6 month loan. Sabitzer, CB etc. will all have to wait until Summer.
I think this is a chance to give a young player like Harvey White a chance, but besides that we just don't have any that could be ready to break into the team like Tanganga did.

I think this is a chance to give a young player like Harvey White a chance, but besides that we just don't have any that could be ready to break into the team like Tanganga did.
I really like what I've seen from White and think he has great potential, but realistically a good Championship or even League 1 loan would be ideal for him this next six months.

Cirkin, Clarke and Parrott much the same, all belong on loan from now until the end of next season.

If we believe that Eriksen's struggles are largely due to him being unhappy/unsettled/unused etc. I am not sure coming back to the team that he wanted to leave and saw bigger things for himself once he left is likely to be the cure for a lot of those concerns.

Coming back here seems like it would just reinforce that the change he wanted and bigger things he saw for himself aren't there. Maybe he gets over it and sees that Spurs was the best times of his career, but it would be pretty tough not to take it as a sign that you aren't as good as you thought you were.

If his attitude is right it could be a great move because peak Eriksen would be great for this team.

I would prefer a better player, but if we are so worried about HG issues an easy, in terms of availability, move to make would be to swap Moura for Demari Gray. I don't think Gray is good enough to start for us but he is a clear upgrade over Moura, younger and English.

I would prefer we get someone with more skill or upside but considering what we have as a back-up winger he offers more than Moura and Lamela plus has the HG bonus. It would also allow us to be more flexible in bringing in a foreign player to upgrade the starting 11.

Perhaps it will be too hard to move Moura but I would think a mid-level team in Europe would be willing to take him on.

If we believe that Eriksen's struggles are largely due to him being unhappy/unsettled/unused etc. I am not sure coming back to the team that he wanted to leave and saw bigger things for himself once he left is likely to be the cure for a lot of those concerns.

Coming back here seems like it would just reinforce that the change he wanted and bigger things he saw for himself aren't there. Maybe he gets over it and sees that Spurs was the best times of his career, but it would be pretty tough not to take it as a sign that you aren't as good as you thought you were.

If his attitude is right it could be a great move because peak Eriksen would be great for this team.
It has to depend on Christian I think. If Christian actually wants to come back and work his ass off then a 6 month loan cannot hurt.

If it is him coming back with his tail between his legs then no thank you.

Back
Top Bottom