Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was obvious to anyone that has actually watched this guy play over the last couple of years

definitely. I’ve no idea why anyone who had seen him play in the last two years would think he’d be an answer to our midfield problems. They saw his stats and that’s it. He was poor when I’d seen him play for southampton. We need a proper midfeild.

It's been said by a few, he's NOT or has he ever been a DM.

It's his first game, so not going to lay into him but will call his performance for what it was, shit.

The bigger worry is why did Jose buy him, why is Jose playing him as a DM? It's easy to lay into a player for playing poorly but you have to look beyond a scapegoat and look at the decisions behind it.

I'm sure he can and will play better than this but now's the time to look at the decisions that Jose has made to bring him in and how he wants us (and him) playing.

The one player specific I will call out though is he looks completely gassed, no energy, not on his toes, completly flat-footed and so easily by-passed.

It's been said by a few, he's NOT or has he ever been a DM.

It's his first game, so not going to lay into him but will call his performance for what it was, shit.

The bigger worry is why did Jose buy him, why is Jose playing him as a DM? It's easy to lay into a player for playing poorly but you have to look beyond a scapegoat and look at the decisions behind it.

I'm sure he can and will play better than this but now's the time to look at the decisions that Jose has made to bring him in and how he wants us (and him) playing.

The one player specific I will call out though is he looks completely gassed, no energy, not on his toes, completly flat-footed and so easily by-passed.

I'm not even entirely sure Jose is playing him as one.

For most of the time Ndombele was on the pitch for example, he had Ndombele as the deeper midfielder. Which was just as odd as when he'd play Lo Celso as our deepest midfielder.

Which is worrying because he's been previously known for his athleticism. It does feel like other teams are better prepared than us physically which points to the club needing an overhaul in that area.

I'm not even entirely sure Jose is playing him as one.

For most of the time Ndombele was on the pitch for example, he had Ndombele as the deeper midfielder. Which was just as odd as when he'd play Lo Celso as our deepest midfielder.
Yeah, I noticed this too!!! I couldn't fucking believe what I was seeing.

I don't think he was nearly as bad as some are trying to make out but he clearly is not a DM and clearly cannot play with Winks.

He is a slight upgrade on Sissoko but not near good enough for what we should be looking for and like Winks is so limited in passing that he requires at least 1 if not 2 other MFers to play with to do the passing for him.
Well if he’s not a DM then he’s just a poor midfielder then ? He’s not better than Sissoko because at least Sissoko mis-controls it all over the park

this fucker wishes he could move all over the park

just wtf is he ?

Well if he’s not a DM then he’s just a poor midfielder then ? He’s not better than Sissoko because at least Sissoko mis-controls it all over the park

this fucker wishes he could move all over the park

just wtf is he ?

I don't think he is poor. He has shown, both today and in pre-season, that he is decent at intercepting passes, is not shy in tackles, will get around the pitch. I think he also showed an ability to press (mainly in pre-season).

If played with quality MFer's he will look much better because his lack of passing will not stand out. If we could pair him with an effective Ndombele and GLC I think he will look much better.

But he will never wow anyone because he is not a great passer and not a great DM/destroyer that will make big tackles or save goals with his defensive play.

I don't think he is poor. He has shown, both today and in pre-season, that he is decent at intercepting passes, is not shy in tackles, will get around the pitch. I think he also showed an ability to press (mainly in pre-season).

If played with quality MFer's he will look much better because his lack of passing will not stand out. If we could pair him with an effective Ndombele and GLC I think he will look much better.

But he will never wow anyone because he is not a great passer and not a great DM/destroyer that will make big tackles or save goals with his defensive play.
So in your first paragraph you describe qualities attributed to a DM

then add he’s crap at passing .... yay to that

then finish your piece by saying he’s not a great DM

thanks for clearing that up

So in your first paragraph you describe qualities attributed to a DM

then add he’s crap at passing .... yay to that

then finish your piece by saying he’s not a great DM

thanks for clearing that up

He has some skills of a DM but does not play that style. I think an issue is he is willing to go into a tackle, I don't think he is great at it. I think of a Kante for example where when you see him go into a tackle he so often makes the tackle without fouling and comes up with the ball. I don't see PEH being that kind of guy. I also think he pushes up more than a traditional DM would.

So no not really describing the qualities of a DM.

I'm laughing on the outside and on the inside because it was painfully obvious that he wasn't going to cure our issues in the midfield. Just like a gent said 10 or so posts ago, if anyone watched Saints they would know this.

I like PEH by the way. But he is a Jordan Henderson type of player. A player that will run, annoy, and generally do well for the team, but he isn't going to be THE man that makes a midfield go from good to great.

If he takes the place of Winks and has two combative, ball hawking, comfortable on the ball midfielders with him, then he can be our Jordan Henderson.

But we have a manager that insists on a CM2, which PEH played at SH btw. The catch? We don't play the system SH plays to protect a wide open middle half of the pitch. Without an aggressive press, you are just asking to be overrun, it doesn't matter if you had Sandro and Wanyama in there. There is just too much space for the CM3 of Everton to exploit.

So until Jose gets his fucking head out of his ass or we get another manager in, we are going to continue to question why we bought a slightly more aggressive Winks.

We need to get Sangare in here and then trot out PEH, Sangare and Ndombele.

Back
Top Bottom