Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to the Express we are looking at Eder Militao, currently at Real Madrid since last summer.

Surely would have to be a loan since I don't think Madrid want to get rid of him full stop. Which would make it all hang on if we can get an option to buy into it or not.

When I was a kid, everyone said Dalek's were the scariest things imaginable. I thought they also advertised Smash instant mash and one of them was Buck Rodgers companion Twiki and found them funny.
Ok, just looked them up because of this. Initially I blew it off because I assumed bus-conductor bus-conductor was just a wuss...a fair assumption mind. But now you've backed him up. But I gotta ask why they were so scary...
Dr.WhoDalek.JPG

It wasn't a list I expect to fulfil, just a list of where I see priorities.

I'm under no illusion it will be hard to raise money from the deadwood I listed, or that without CL next year the spending budget will be trimmed.

I'm not sure Bergwijn is really a gem. Contributed very little to a number of games so far. Seems like another Moura/Sissoko/Aurier type signing to me - has an exposed ceiling. The odd good moment amongst much ordinariness. Didn't really want him, not been won over so far.

I've been a big defender of much of the way Levy has run the club, but he took his eye off the ball during the whole stadium build. Badly.

I think we've got ourselves into a catatonic state and Levy needs to wake the fuck up and make some very big decisions about the direction we take now. He's modernised the facilities he now needs to modernise the clubs infrastructure and operational structure. DOF needed and the introduction of a much better recruitment and analytics department.

We are where we are - I'm frustrated by having had a decent first team 5 years ago (built up over a few years) but we've recruited 20+ players in the last 5 or 6 years very few of which have made much impact on the first team. And frustrated by Poch refusing to have a DoF and Levy backing down on insisting on one in case Poch ran off (he was making it known other clubs were interested), as well as the stadium proving more onerous to build than expected inevitably taking Levy's eye off the footballing side.

So we are agreed we need to rebuild the squad.

Problem is always the availability of players - as an example the best AM's available this January were Danni Olmo (who Atletico had sewn up long ago), Steven Bergwijn and Jarrod Bowen.

So I'm happy with Bergwijn joining who at age 22 looks pretty decent and should improve with careful coaching - still early days but he keeps his head up, knows where other players are (hence a decent assist record in Netherlands) decent goalscoring and assist maker. Given we didn't like the options out there at striker (other than possibly Piatek on loan) and the way Barcelona, Madrid, Chelsea, ManU and others reacted to the striking options, if at Spurs I'd have been pushing to sign Bowen as well given his goalscoring and assist making in Championship. Bowen's big downside is lack of speed, and that maybe why he didn't arrive - but we will need to sign an AM in the summer now.

I'm absolutely with you on getting a DoF and analytics team back in - and adding to that someone handling youth loans out so as to better develop our Academy youngsters to be more first team ready (or to come up with a better solution than the 'no play but train with first team' solution which has screwed the 18-21 year olds for a few seasons now).

But coming back to player recruitment, trying to recruit 4-6 players who are at the right level for us is no small task, especially when we need to sell the same numbers of existing players. So prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting all the players to be significantly better than Bergvijn - I just don't think there are that many top players out there who are available, and all of them will have lots of clubs vying for their services so we wont get all of our top choices.

But money won't be our biggest problem as it was 5 or 10 years ago, it will be player availability and our ability to identify the right players.

Problem is always the availability of players - as an example the best AM's available this January were Danni Olmo (who Atletico had sewn up long ago), Steven Bergwijn and Jarrod Bowen.

And Bruno Fernandes. If we were brave and made a real effort we could have signed Fernandes in January. Mourinho loves him, there is the Portuguese connection, sometimes when a top player is available and gettable you have to take the chance. He has exactly the mentality, personality, fight and of course talent that could have made this team better

And Bruno Fernandes. If we were brave and made a real effort we could have signed Fernandes in January. Mourinho loves him, there is the Portuguese connection, sometimes when a top player is available and gettable you have to take the chance. He has exactly the mentality, personality, fight and of course talent that could have made this team better

Think he was an alternative to Ndombele and Lo Celso in the summer but we couldn't agree terms (and neither could other clubs hence him staying in Portugal until January). Obviously now think we opted for the wrong choice in Ndombele.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, everyone said Dalek's were the scariest things imaginable. I thought they also advertised Smash instant mash and one of them was Buck Rodgers companion Twiki and found them funny.
Could someone post a picture of a dalek for Todd?

Think he was an alternative to Ndombele and Lo Celso in the summer but we couldn't agree terms (and neither could other clubs hence him staying in Portugal until January). Obviously now think we opted for the wrong choice in Ndombele.

I assumed he was very dependent on Eriksen leaving that window. Levy overpricing or Eriksen running down his contract is a moot point as it seems nobody wanted him anyway.

I assumed he was very dependent on Eriksen leaving that window. Levy overpricing or Eriksen running down his contract is a moot point as it seems nobody wanted him anyway.

If nobody wanted Eriksen there's no bids and no money coming in - but don't think that was the real problem..

If Ndombele and Lo Celso were identified as good players to buy, did we need Bruno as well, and was he identified as being much better than the other two ? I suspect not

We need to find some hard working solid players.

People like Milner, Henderson, Scott Parker or Thomas Graveson.

Players that get stuck in, give everything and allow others to play. We have enough star quality in this team. What we need are fighters in CB and DM to complement the ballers and provide a foundation for them to play.

Posted this in the game thread, but will probably get overlooked.

Honest question. Do you think top players will want to sign and play under Jose?

Removing my bias, I would be hesitant, even if the money is good, to come to work for a coach that has consistently burned bridges and tossed players under the bus.

I said it already but it’s gonna take two to three summer windows to fix this. What a mess. We need to turn over half the roster. God bless Harry Kane if he doesn’t ask for a transfer

First choice keeper, DM, Striker, CB, LB, RB

A bunch of players who can be sold, including a very large percentage of the defensive group at the club. Offensively, we really only need that second striker as Kane, son, Bergwijn, Lucas, dele, Lamela, lo Celso, sessegnon isn't horrible at all.

It's at DM, across the Defensive line and at GK where a very large majority of our problems lie imo. Think Dav is the only one who has been properly good in that group this season (Tang has been okay and should probably be third choice behind a new pairing), poor sod has been carrying them.

Back
Top Bottom